• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Eight NTs more likely INTJs

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
The Keirsey INTJ is exactly me. Keirsey is describing the 8w7 INTJ rather than the classic 5w INTJs.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Technically, the most fitting representative of the 8/7 among NTs is the ENTJ. The INTJs are next to that. This puts them pretty high in general since Fs are not Eights very often, anyway. The STs are the only competition, really.

I believe INTPs are the type most stereo-typed as Fives.
Awkward for me since I'm a One, and there are certain regards in which Ones and Fives are directly opposed to each other.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The INTJ stereotype tends to be at the 5w4, the INTP stereotype at the 5w6. The 5w4 relies more on insight while the INTP is more logical.

The 5w6 is more in line with the 5 stereotype in general -- the academic nerdy type. The 5w4 is more of the eccentric crackpot stereotype.

Here's a better model for the INTJ and its place in the Enneagram:
  • Enneagram 1
    • The sarcastic misanthrope.
    • The self-righteous know-it-all.
    • The bigot who forces others to follow their view of the world.
    • The stubbornly uptight monk who refuses to indulge in animal pleasures (such as sex).
  • Enneagram 3
    • The power-seeking Machiavellian who takes advantage of others.
    • The narcissist who projects the appearance of strength and self-confidence.
  • Enneagram 4
    • The embittered elitist who thinks everyone else is shallow or unsophisticated.
  • Enneagram 5
    • The reclusive crackpot locked in a world of his own conception.
    • The cynical nihilist.
    • The self-righteous know-it-all.
  • Enneagram 6
    • The paranoid conspiracy theorist.
    • The bigot who plans to destroy his object of hate.
  • Enneagram 8
    • The megalomaniac who subtly plans to take over the world.
As for Enneagrams 2, 7, and 9, I just don't see many INTJ stereotypes that could be attributed to them.

Last edited:

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
How would you trace the 5w8?

With a pen or sword?

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Changing its existing meaning, because we don't see any real reason why, for example, the 8 is an aggressive, cold-hearted bastard while the 4 is a wimpy crybaby -- why not have the 4 be the evil bastard while the 8 is the wimp?

The Eight is aggressive because they want independence, and many people throughout their life will attempt to impose their will on the Eight, causing the Eight to react against said wills. The Eight is not cold-hearted; this is a misconception. Rather, the Eight chooses to hide his or her feelings in order to - what the Eight deems - survive. An Eight's being a bastard is merely subjective. It carries no true descriptive use. The Four is neither wimpy nor a crybaby. Indeed, they've often been described as an Eight turned inside out. While the Eight is hardened externally, internally, they are soft to the core. The Four reveals all their emotions to the world, but inside, they are truly hard people who can cope with a lot.

Since the Enneagram was created by man, anyway, I don't see why it shouldn't be distorted by man.

Good point. But there's no point distorting something which doesn't need distorting.

The Keirsey INTJ is exactly me. Keirsey is describing the 8w7 INTJ rather than the classic 5w INTJs.

Absolutely. I know little of Myers-Briggs' INTJ, but they are certainly quite different to the INTJ of Keirsey's model.

Technically, the most fitting representative of the 8/7 among NTs is the ENTJ. The INTJs are next to that. This puts them pretty high in general since Fs are not Eights very often, anyway. The STs are the only competition, really.

I've a question: just how different are the ESTJs of MBTT to those of Keirsey. From Keirsey, I know I am definitely not an ESTJ, but are they any different to MBTT's definition of the ESTJ? I s'pose one argument for them being different is that Keirsey notes that his ESTJ and his ENTJ are lightyears away from each other in similarities, whereas in MBTT, they are in fact very similar.

With a pen or sword?

Pen. Eights with a strong link to Five are generally intellectuals who use their mind and will rather than their physical strength to gain independence in some way. And obviously Fives prefer the pen, because they are, by definition, head types.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type

I believe INTPs are the type most stereo-typed as Fives.
Awkward for me since I'm a One, and there are certain regards in which Ones and Fives are directly opposed to each other.

Hi Magic, where does an INTP 4w5 place, then? Am not very familiar with the Enneagram; suspecting that because I'm in a stressed state, the shadow appears or something...

With a pen or sword?

With whatever means fulfills the line as necessary at that point in time.

5 moves to 8 via desire. i.e., will.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Keirsey's definition of the INTJ at Lifexplore is much more accurate, but the description by Sandra Krebs Hirsch and Jean Kummerow was even more accurate.

Not too much a fan of Keirsey's description, he describes it as too much of a military strategist type. I'd rather restructure it as a strategist of any kind. An artistic strategist, for example -- one who methodically plans his artistic visions and then realizes them on paper.

However, I am a fan of Keirsey's description of his temperaments. I identify strongly with the NT temperament, and he seems to associate it with mildly autistic behavior, indicating that autistic traits are just a personality difference.

EDIT: I added an INTJ Enneagram stereotype for the Enneagram 1. Maybe I should post it in a blog and add more as they come to me.

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
The INTJ that Keirsey describes, because my 8w7 infers I should be an ENTP. However, I am absolutely INTJ.

The ability to see absolute detail (J) and see the big picture (P) coupled with the NT points to what Keirsey is talking about.

I've tended to think that I am either the ENTP or INTJ and am trying to be the opposite. I want to be the best at everything. I'd programme my subconsious with conscious suggestions if F was the trait I thought best... likewise F is suppressed in favour of rational and considered reactions :D

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
The Eight is aggressive because they want independence, and many people throughout their life will attempt to impose their will on the Eight, causing the Eight to react against said wills. The Eight is not cold-hearted; this is a misconception. Rather, the Eight chooses to hide his or her feelings in order to - what the Eight deems - survive. An Eight's being a bastard is merely subjective. It carries no true descriptive use. The Four is neither wimpy nor a crybaby. Indeed, they've often been described as an Eight turned inside out. While the Eight is hardened externally, internally, they are soft to the core. The Four reveals all their emotions to the world, but inside, they are truly hard people who can cope with a lot.

Not too sure about the aggressiveness. My aggressiveness is only activated by defensiveness. Definitely "Competitive" is an appropriate word. I know that it is easy to appear aggressive if you have your views and are prepared to defend them.

Yes, non conformance to the accepted rules is the norm. Rules impose authority, and the 8 wishes to make the rules rather than be constrained and subjugated by them.

The survival instinct I have spoke at lengths about, the classic contingency mode that TJ's operate in seems a manisfestation of this.

Absolutely. I know little of Myers-Briggs' INTJ, but they are certainly quite different to the INTJ of Keirsey's model.

If I am honest I find INTJ 5w a weak intellectual. I like science type minds, but my scientific thought is really for change in the physical world and not the investigation of what exists or could. IN effect I see the INTJ 8w almost as a risk taking ISTJ who develops intuition as a defence mechanism.

Pen. Eights with a strong link to Five are generally intellectuals who use their mind and will rather than their physical strength to gain independence in some way. And obviously Fives prefer the pen, because they are, by definition, head types.

I think INTJ 8w types know the value of the pen, but the sword is the ultimate lever of change, the imposition and defence against physical will is the ultimate contingency mode thinking.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The ability to see absolute detail (J) and see the big picture (P) [...]

Isn't this more of a distinction between Sensing and Intuition respectively?

Not too sure about the aggressiveness. My aggressiveness is only activated by defensiveness.

Then you agree with me.

I know that it is easy to appear aggressive if you have your views and are prepared to defend them.

True, but I was talking about the Eight's actually being aggressive; not just how they look. Too often are Eights mistaken for aggressive and confrontational when they're merely expressing their views.

If I am honest I find INTJ 5w a weak intellectual.

What do you mean by a 'weak intellectual'?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The INTJ is not really an intellectual type. At least not in the way the INTP is. Where the INTP follows ideas in pursuit of higher knowledge, the INTJ uses external data as a means for what they feel fits into an abstract working in their minds. So the INTJ is more interested in usefulness.

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
Isn't this more of a distinction between Sensing and Intuition respectively?

Ahh... No.

However Yes, ordinarily sensing is the detail function. However, I see the P and J as counter balances in terms of divergence. Let’s say I'm sitting around thinking about a multitude of concepts. I let my mind just relax and take any path of investigation that stimulates it (Probably there is some endorphin buzz from it..) but then I go into attenuation mode and prune back all the excess growth of ideas that lacks enough proximity to my current understanding and what my directional focus is. Bit like pruning a tree...
Sort of like P = expansion J = consolidation

More than likely the real expansion is the NP function with the SJ consolidating it. Big picture, small picture with internal consistency, scalability.

True, but I was talking about the Eight's actually being aggressive; not just how they look. Too often are Eights mistaken for aggressive and confrontational when they're merely expressing their views.

Admittedly, I used to enjoy "frontal lobe" head butts (I mean intellectually). But, I don't really do it anymore really; I don't need to prove I'm smarter or more correct. Just present the argument. Live and let live and all that.

Guess its bit like Judo where you let the lack of balance of the opponent do the work rather than hammering them.

What do you mean by a 'weak intellectual'?

Physically weak which translates into less intensity of thought IMHO. I'd say the INTJ 8 is more likely to be the aggressive driven intellectual.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Physically weak which translates into less intensity of thought IMHO. I'd say the INTJ 8 is more likely to be the aggressive driven intellectual.

True, but I don't include muscles or body size in this definition. Merely the energy that the individual creates. The Five's is quiet, the Eight's is loud and expressive.