• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs and Big Crowds/Concerts

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Since I was about 16 years old, I have been to many concerts. I usually go to around 6 concerts and a music festival each year. I wish I had the money to go to more, and had friends who know half of the bands who I like are.

To be honest, I feel much more comfortable at concerts than sitting in class at college, in a pub, or public transport (I admit I may just be odd). Firstly, unlike most crowded everyday environments (college, pub, public transport, and the like) a concert is usually dark, so no one knows who you are. Secondly, most people who go to concert tend to be more open minded than the rest of society. They are probably more of freak than yourself anyway. Some of the most interesting people I have met have been at concerts. Hippies are cool. Thirdly, people have come for the music and to have fun. They could not care less about me, it is not as if it's a night club, and only came here to find people to hook up with.

I tend to prefer going to the local concerts, as they are more intimate, we get a lot of relatively unknown bands from other countries and up and coming bands.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't know about INTP's, but I think concerts are a little loud, and I've never gone to one for fear of hurting my hearing (they're probably playing and/or shouting at way over 80 decibels). Also, I dislike the idea of people bumping into me and such, as I don't want to risk any damage. Finally, I have a tendency to get tired/cranky if I have to sit/stand through something for more than an hour or so. I would also likely get thirsty or need to go the bathroom, but find the facilities too competitive/nonexistent to be able do so.

It probably isn't the big crowds in my case, so much as the environmental hazards. (inferior Fe vs. inferior Se... interesting how that difference manifests).

An INTP might be more willing to endure dangerous places and deal with being knocked around and joining in all the insane motion/sound... I don't know any, so I'm not sure.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I haven't been to many concerts, but of the few I've been to, the outdoor ones were best because you could sort of wander around and hang out pretty far back and still hear. Dark, crowded, and loud is not my idea of a good time.

sinnamon

MBTI Type
INTP
Concerts can be awesome (& not in the obnoxious overused way). It's surreal & incredible to be in the place where the music is being performed for real, right there in your presence. I have some fantastic memories of seeing bands live -- some truly legendary, some just damn fun.

Seeing Joan Jett kicked ass, when the main act came on ...Robert Plant... wow - a damn near spiritual experience. Rush -- wow. U2 omg. NIN -- moving. Then there were fun ones -- Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent, Earth, Wind & Fire (LARGE fun that one).

Don't miss it because of your introversion. If the crowds freak you out, just be early & then hang back away from the smash right at the front. And the earplugs are a definite must anymore. I don't know why every band thinks they have to play as loud as their equipment will go now (it goes to "eleven"), but they're really a must now. You can still hear the music just fine, might miss some of the top end, but you can pull them out for songs that it really matters for. After the concert is over, go outside & hang out while the crowd bolts for the gate. In 15-20 minutes the majority of the clusterfuck has passed, & you can get out without it triggering an anxiety attack.

Headstrong

MBTI Type
INTJ
Concerts can be awesome (& not in the obnoxious overused way). It's surreal & incredible to be in the place where the music is being performed for real, right there in your presence. I have some fantastic memories of seeing bands live -- some truly legendary, some just damn fun.

Seeing Joan Jett kicked ass, when the main act came on ...Robert Plant... wow - a damn near spiritual experience. Rush -- wow. U2 omg. NIN -- moving. Then there were fun ones -- Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent, Earth, Wind & Fire (LARGE fun that one).

Don't miss it because of your introversion. If the crowds freak you out, just be early & then hang back away from the smash right at the front. And the earplugs are a definite must anymore. I don't know why every band thinks they have to play as loud as their equipment will go now (it goes to "eleven"), but they're really a must now. You can still hear the music just fine, might miss some of the top end, but you can pull them out for songs that it really matters for. After the concert is over, go outside & hang out while the crowd bolts for the gate. In 15-20 minutes the majority of the clusterfuck has passed, & you can get out without it triggering an anxiety attack.

I can thank them for my tinnitus. Some of them actually sound better with the earplugs. :D

sandwich

MBTI Type
INTP
Another thing I've learned- if you find a nice spot in front of the stage, make sure you don't have a monitor right in front of you. It's happened to me a few times.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
It is a somewhat overwhelming sensory and social experience, but you can detach yourself from it internally to adjust the experience volume to your comfort level. ...but yeah, the earplugs are a good idea too! :D

Maybe if you're going with a close friend, they could hang back with you while you observe from a distance until you're comfortable?

I think you should go. It's a face your fear now or it will stalk you for a long time situation. The fear of the experience is much worse than the actual experience, so you're already experiencing the worst of it. :) I've always ended up having fun when I forced myself into "extravert mode" for something like this. :)

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Another problem I have with big functions (sports events, dances, concerts) is that I can't get into it and enjoy it because I'm constantly thinking about how ridiculous it is that a bunch of humans are rallying around jumping up and down because some monkeys on the stage are banging sticks and going ooh ooh ahh ahh in just the right tune.. Same thing with movies. I am always imagining how many takes it took, what kind of mood the actors were in that day, etc.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Earplugs are a great idea.

Other than that, I have been able to handle a few of them before at various points in my life. However, it's been at least 6 years since I last went to one...

I usually go for the back of the crowd due to some kind of psychological aversion to being in a crowd. Keeping some distance cools that enough to endure the crowd and enjoy the music.

Generally-speaking, I agree with Mort.

cdal233

MBTI Type
INTP
Another problem I have with big functions (sports events, dances, concerts) is that I can't get into it and enjoy it because I'm constantly thinking about how ridiculous it is that a bunch of humans are rallying around jumping up and down because some monkeys on the stage are banging sticks and going ooh ooh ahh ahh in just the right tune.. Same thing with movies. I am always imagining how many takes it took, what kind of mood the actors were in that day, etc.

I try to keep SP's who understand me as a base of friends to pull me out of thoughts like this. Also, it feels good to allow yourself to be human every once in a while.

Just because it's obvious and predictable doesn't mean it's bad ;). Honestly, the majority of the time it's good.