• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Types that make you "shut down"?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Every type that's unable to put himself into others shoes shuts me down. It's frustrating to me, but not to the rest of the world. If everyone was cheap money like me, we'ld have nobody to take out the garbage on sunday

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldn't say I automatically shut down among them, but the types that tend to make me the most uncomfortable are ESFX. I feel as though I have walked into Stepford, or the Twilight Zone, especially when they are the prevailing types in a group situation. There have been occasions when I have had difficulty communicating on the most straightforward level with these types, which mystifies me.

Hera

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
People who don't laugh when I want to make them laugh or who take what I say waaaay to serious. These are often people with strong S and/or strong J, but not only.

This too.

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To be honest, and in the vein of the extreme extrovert, the person who talks so much that you can't get a full sentence in... I'll just nod and let them ramble on about whatever they were saying. It's a polite way of shutting down, but there it is.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think... ESFPs? Maybe not just them... but any extravert who fits the stereotype of the high school drama geek, i.e. a diva. I am immediately very suspicious of them, sensing that they're putting on a show for me, and registering that as habitual and perpetual dishonesty. And the big thing for me, in friendships (or really any friendly relationship), is trust. Also, how can I trust that our chemistry, in a conversation, is genuine? How can I know that you won't talk about me behind my back? etc. etc. etc.

Also, if my first impression of an NT (usually an NTJ) is this sort of thing...

Non-NTJ: "*insert great big, thought-out argument here*"
NTJ: "That's stupid. You're wrong." <-- dismissively and with no elaboration. End of discussion.

... then I will shut down around them, too. Almost everyone who pisses me off on TypeC is an NT or an ENFP who has done this. I believe that every argument is worthy of a thought-out response, even out of common courtesy, and anything less than that is rude, dismissive, inconsiderate, arrogant and certainly not respectful in any way. So if that's my first impression of you, then sorry, you probably won't ever be my friend.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Psychotic ESFPs
Psychotic INFPs are even worse.
ESxJs trying to mother/control me. I could say the same for ENTJs.
Really 'out there' xNxx's where there is just no reasoning with them because they are in some sort of....I dunno. Glenn Beck is a prime (and extreme) example of this.
IxTx's who think they're the shit/have a stick up their ass.

I don't think I'd shut down around all of the list, but I avoid these certain types of people to avoid shutting down, as there are enough in my life I can't avoid right now.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think ESFJ...I've had a lot of very bad experiences with them. I had to beat two of them off me tonight--pouting because I felt unwell but refused their help.

But it can be any type at all.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
oh, i forgot introverts who don't talk, period. i had to interview an extreme introvert, i think he's INFP. he gave me two-word answers to open-ended questions. i mean i am really not all that talkative IRL, most people would probably guess me as an introvert, so i understand not talking a lot, and i do know you are nervous, but seriously you have got to give me SOMETHING to work with. contrary to stereotype i really don't find listening to myself entertaining for very long!

KDude

I think... ESFPs? Maybe not just them... but any extravert who fits the stereotype of the high school drama geek, i.e. a diva. I am immediately very suspicious of them, sensing that they're putting on a show for me, and registering that as habitual and perpetual dishonesty. And the big thing for me, in friendships (or really any friendly relationship), is trust. Also, how can I trust that our chemistry, in a conversation, is genuine? How can I know that you won't talk about me behind my back? etc. etc. etc.

ESFPs are Rocky, Titus Pullo, and the character Snow in the latest Final Fantasy game. They're not Divas, but lovable bruisers. Heh. I don't know if anyone is going to buy that, but I think I should make the effort in offering up the idea anyways.

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I either love or hate (or seriously love-hate) fellow ExTJ types. I hate feeling like we're competing for airtime.

KDude

Psychotic ESFPs
Psychotic INFPs are even worse.
ESxJs trying to mother/control me. I could say the same for ENTJs.
Really 'out there' xNxx's where there is just no reasoning with them because they are in some sort of....I dunno. Glenn Beck is a prime (and extreme) example of this.
IxTx's who think they're the shit/have a stick up their ass.

I don't think I'd shut down around all of the list, but I avoid these certain types of people to avoid shutting down, as there are enough in my life I can't avoid right now.

Lol, that almost covers the entire spectrum.

I think Glenn Beck is... on his own. But if I were to give him a type, it'd be Ni and Fe. Or, rather, Fe and Ni. I don't want to say the actual type. It's bad enough that I spout off functions like that. :cool: Regardless if that's accurate, my point is that xNxx insanity comes in different shapes. Sure, other types can be annoying too, but it'd be in completely different ways. "N" means nothing. I think crazy Ne is like Don Quixote and Joker. Crazy Ni is Beck and Jim Jones. Maybe Steve Jobs if you don't like Macs. It's a difference between the oddball and overactive imagination of Ne vs the wonky "vision" and seeing signs and stuff that Ni gets into. To simplify it.

I'm not being defensive or anything. I'm just bored. Sorry that you feel that much difficulty.

Is that Light and Blues Clues in your avatar? :thinking:

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^It is....lol. :laugh:

I'm not saying that Ne or Ni are bad or anything, I just think that extreme off the rocker/could possibly be a threat to your own well-being Ns are really hard to handle, just from personal experience. I generally don't like it when people make ridiculous assumptions and stuff. Generally, I just don't like dealing with crazy people. :laugh:

And Beck wasn't always crazy...I wonder what happened... :huh: