• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs: do you like me or do you just like attention?

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
Dear ENTPs,

I'm a huge fan. So are you apparently. Cool.

Anyways, tell me my fellow Ne users, how can I tell when your manipulation is about ME rather than about YOU? I know y'all like to garner fan fare, but how does an ENTP manipulate with sincerity?

Thanks,

Intrigued

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hello, :)

Most ENTPs are egocentric, you are right about that.
I do not understand the question, it's pretty general, I assume you have a specific scenario in your mind...right?
I do not manipulate people, is this about an "ENTP" you met, and want to make sure that he deserves trust? A relationship?

Well the last girl I really loved was INFP or ISFP somewhere in between, it was nice for a while, till she concluded that I do not live "in the real world", and it ended.

She manipulated me

:)

I don't really think this is type related though...as any type can manipulate or be self absorbed.

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Dear ENTPs,

Anyways, tell me my fellow Ne users, how can I tell when your manipulation is about ME rather than about YOU? I know y'all like to garner fan fare, but how does an ENTP manipulate with sincerity?

Thanks,

Intrigued

I'm not an ENTP - but my ex of many years is...

In his case, I wouldn't characterize his behavior as generally manipulative, it's more specifically "passive aggressive". This isn't to say that his passive aggressive behavior is not manipulative. It is. But the specific sets of behaviors he tends to exhibit are all passive aggressive in nature. It seems that the more emotional the interpersonal conflict or issue, the more passive aggressive he behaves. There was always an exit strategy or a rationalization. He will not take responsibility for his actions. There is never an emotional context his his mind, everything is intellectualized. We move from the realm of the interpersonal to the realm of abstraction. But the greatest weapon in his arsenal is indifference and withdrawal. He feigns indifference even if he is not indifferent. But it makes no difference since the affect/effect is the same.

My ex (ENTP) would never admit to "needing" anything emotionally but would find other means to get his needs met (maybe that's just a male thing - not wanting to be vulnerable). This, I guess, would best be characterized as manipulative.

However, as guesswho suggested, I believe all types (all people) are manipulative in one way or another. We just have different means to obtain our ends.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
There are currently 20 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 18 guests) lol

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Personally, my wit becomes a little softer. It's playful, I want to set the mood. Manipulation? If you can sense it, then it isn't working that well, is it? I keep it down to a minimum, mainly zero because I'm pretty sure I could do it well if I did, it's a dangerous temptation. I'll stop incriminating myself now.

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
Hello, :)

Most ENTPs are egocentric, you are right about that.
I do not understand the question, it's pretty general, I assume you have a specific scenario in your mind...right?
I do not manipulate people, is this about an "ENTP" you met, and want to make sure that he deserves trust? A relationship?

Well the last girl I really loved was INFP or ISFP somewhere in between, it was nice for a while, till she concluded that I do not live "in the real world", and it ended.

She manipulated me

:)

I don't really think this is type related though...as any type can manipulate or be self absorbed.

The last type in the world to complain about not living in the real world would be INFP, I would think. I would never complain about such a thing. Perhaps they were ISFP. I am all for delusion and escapism lol

I guess what I`m asking is, I know ENTPs are naturally flirty and fun so I just wonder when they actually like someone, how they would act. Another thing that confuses me is I always feel very comfy and engaged with ENTPs one-on-one, but then add even just one more person to the mix and their personality changes presto. Feels insincere to me.

I have difficulties deciphering Fe.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I am also flirty all the time. It's because I sometimes feel that if I don't do that I won't be attractive, basic insecurities. I'm also compelled to do that, just for the thrill, and I'm also addicted to getting attention, like you said in your post.

However I've never cheated, when I like someone, she will be my one and only universe :) no matter how many people are around me...no matter what happens.

I don't think she was ISFP, she was way hard to decipher, I don't know, I feel I never got to know her, what was inside of her, I only got to the superficial stuff. And that's not my bad...I was the one opening up ...she wasn't. She just listened and smiled.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Dear ENTPs,

Thanks,

Intrigued

When I like you, I act like a complete fucking moron. I try to impress you, my jokes aren't funny, and I'm really really self-conscious.
What I don't like you, I'm interminably charming. I don't try, my jokes are hilarious, and I'm too smooth to realize it.
That's how you tell the difference.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Good to know I don't find you charming.

*nods with new found insight*

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
When I like you, I act like a complete fucking moron. I try to impress you, my jokes aren't funny, and I'm really really self-conscious.
What I don't like you, I'm interminably charming. I don't try, my jokes are hilarious, and I'm too smooth to realize it.
That's how you tell the difference.

Well that's unfortunate.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You know if I think about it, I relate to what TWHS said.

I can be super smooth and entertaining when I don't care, and act like a complete fucking retard when I like someone.

Is this an ENxP thing?

Or is TWHS an ENFP like Fidelia said?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If I like you I'll go out of my way to interact with you, if I just like you liking me then I'll take it when you're around and not give a shit when you're not.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've found that the woman who can silence an ENTP with one sentence is the one he's most likely completely given his heart to. My entp brother is the most entertaining guy around, but when his INFJ makes a careful and rather silent one-liner, he's the first to listen to her and cater to her comment. All others, he'd either joke it out of the way and continue with his 'presentation' to the audience, or make her the center topic of his show, usually including self-depreciation as well as depreciation of the person who made the comment. She's the only one who can make him interrupt his show, because she's more important to him than his show :)

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Dear ENTPs,

Thanks,

Intrigued

How about this: I don't 'manipulate' people just for attention. I do like attention, but not at the cost of losing integrity. Also, why should what you call 'manipulation about me' and 'manipulation about you' conflict with each other? We just want to make you and ourselves feel good.

We is the way we is!

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
You know if I think about it, I relate to what TWHS said.

I can be super smooth and entertaining when I don't care, and act like a complete fucking retard when I like someone.

Is this an ENxP thing?

Or is TWHS an ENFP like Fidelia said?

Me too. This makes me feel emotionally retarded.

So it's soo easy for me to make someone attracted to me, because of course... I don't care at that point...but when I start liking someone a lot I fuck things up.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
If I like you I'll go out of my way to interact with you, if I just like you liking me then I'll take it when you're around and not give a shit when you're not.

I've found that the woman who can silence an ENTP with one sentence is the one he's most likely completely given his heart to. My entp brother is the most entertaining guy around, but when his INFJ makes a careful and rather silent one-liner, he's the first to listen to her and cater to her comment. All others, he'd either joke it out of the way and continue with his 'presentation' to the audience, or make her the center topic of his show, usually including self-depreciation as well as depreciation of the person who made the comment. She's the only one who can make him interrupt his show, because she's more important to him than his show :)

both of the above. definitely.

i can like a lot of people, but feeling for someone inspires real thought.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
I'm a master at being charming towards people I don't particularly care about. I'm junk at it when real feeling comes into play.

Hmmm...let me put it this way:
Normal, everyday social interaction is like a game for me (which is maybe why it seems like manipulation). Throughout my life I've learned new and better strategies for interacting with people and I've improved the model of the "social system" I have built in my mind. I've learned what things lead to a all-around good feeling in the group and what things make me look like an arrogant asshole. And part of the game is testing new interactions and seeing what I can do and say that will affect different people's reactions. And it's fun. It's SO much fun! And it's good that it's fun because otherwise, honestly, I could get pretty bored with it.

But then, out of nowhere, someone pops up in my game who's feelings I genuinely care about and all of a sudden it's not a game anymore. But I haven't learned how to do the social thing where it's not a game. So I bungle things up and I lose my wit and I become very self conscious. I "try too hard" because it doesn't come naturally like it does with other people who don't matter as much.

I can be, for lack of a better description, emotionally stupid.

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4

Interesting....I'll work on my quiet one-liners:workout: