• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Is there such thing as infinity?

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
We're infinite aren't we? Our physical body is at least, because it can't be destroyed. Energy is infinite. It's not really a time, and it isn't space, it's what occupies that space. Anything that occupies space is a form of energy and therefore is infinite. Mathematically infinity can't really have a -/+ because it's everywhere and doesn't travel anywhere. It just is.

I don't understand how mathematically infinity can't have a + or -. I would say theoretically it can't because it is everywhere and doesn't travel anywhere (it's a slippery creature), but mathematically you can say:

a - ∞ = -∞ (where a does not equal -∞)

MoneyTick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
You're correct.

There can be "negative" or implosive mathematical infinity just as I have demonstrated with my electron model. You can't split an electron in real life - but mathematically we can slice and dice it forever, hence, bearing negative infinite existence on paper.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
There is such a thing as conceptual infinity, defined as the negation of finiteness. My impression is that if such a concept can be said to exist in our brain, then it can be configured as "existing", even if its "realness" (or lack thereof) might be debatable.

Mother nature was not able to create infinity, we have created it,

Humans and nature are not separate entities (humans being contained in nature, of course), thus what you state here is at the very least...debatable. Stuart Mill's "On Nature" is, to my knowledge, the most famous and significant treatise discussing this matter.

Time. I doubt there is ever an end to Time

It's not that hard to imagine. Time is defined as change in space coordinates, thus whenever there will be no change there will be no time.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Humans and nature are not separate entities (humans being contained in nature, of course), thus what you state here is at the very least...debatable.

I tend to say odd things when I'm sleep deprived :laugh:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So, I think, the question is "Is absolute nothing possible"?

But what if absolutely *nothing* exists? No atoms, no molecules, no energy, no physical forces, etc. I find that next to impossible to imagine. It truly boggles the mind.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I don't understand how mathematically infinity can't have a + or -. I would say theoretically it can't because it is everywhere and doesn't travel anywhere (it's a slippery creature), but mathematically you can say:

a - ∞ = -∞ (where a does not equal -∞)

The negative and positive only denote direction, but if we say it's everywhere how can it approach anywhere? 0 caps infinity when approaching negative integers. This is where the contradiction lies. Doesn't infinity include everything, which is also nothing? I don't think it works that way. This is also how I think people justify negative infinity.