• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs: How Does Dancing Make You Feel?

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i recently dated an NT who claimed he needed large doses of drugs or alcohol to feel like he could dance well. that surprised me. i never explored the topic further with him but have been curious about it.

so NTs...how does dancing make you feel? i suppose i should entitle this "What Do You Think About Dancing?". but i'm actually interested in how you feel when you dance.

*awaits sarcastic remark from JockTheMotie*

F

FigerPuppet

Most of the time I feel stupid. There has to be a nice atmosphere, a good crowd, groovy music and lots of alcohol present for me to start dancing; otherwise I'm too self-conscious to really let go.

RiderOnTheStorm

E. N.. T... :P
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't dance often, but when I do, uncalm, and I like it.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I feel awkward sexay.

Problem_by_kris_wilson.gif

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
frozen
was made to lead the dance at a friend's wedding by his eldest sister who had known me since I was a kid.
being devirginized isn't nice.. leads to celibacy.

strawberries

shadow boxer
MBTI Type
----
when i dance i feel like a handsome european racecar driver that's just won the monaco grand prix and has a gaggle of pit girls waiting for him in his hotel room.

+ more sexy.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
when i dance i feel like a handsome european racecar driver that's just won the monaco grand prix and has a gaggle of pit girls waiting for him in his hotel room.

+ more sexy.
jenson_button1.jpg

i've been watching him since 2000 when he was still coming in last.
can you give me some ideas on what to do with this champagne?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
but i'm actually interested in how you feel when you dance.

*awaits sarcastic remark from JockTheMotie*

:ohmy:

I'd never taint a topic of such seriousness as NT dancing with my...oh.

I like to dance by myself. Problem is, I really only like dancing to bad songs and 80s music. This club stuff these days is so bad. And I do get self conscious, as I have a tendency to flail about when I'm in the zone. Combined with awful body awareness, and you get the idea. Bring a helmet.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
for me it depends on the crowd and the general feel in the room. I do feel very selfconscious if there is not a good vibe in the room.

ScorpioINTP

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6-5
I never liked dancing myself. I am way too self conscious for one. "Dance music" has never made me feel like dancing and I generally don't like pop music as such. There are quite a few rock songs that make me feel like dancing (in private only) and ideally with a guitar in hand as if it was me on stage playing like Jimmy Page or ______. Not really dancing in the traditional sense. A master guitar player really makes me feel the music. Repetitive "beat" music irritates me. I see some people who can't help themselves but to dance when they hear music in public like some pavlovian response and makes me wonder.

I think if I ever was going to like to dance it would have had to be back in the pre-disco days when dancing was a more traditional courtship thing. You know like the tango or something (it takes two). :). The whole solo club dancing thing I don't really get and it sends mixed signals. I can't quite grasp the whole "lets go out and dance" for the sake of dancing concept. Crowds of sweaty, smokey, drunk obnoxious people and awful loud music is not my idea of fun. I'm Not sure if that is an NT thing or just my shyness/self consciousness. I also don't get the wanting to watch "dancing with the stars" type shows either. I can appreciate dance in a theater play or something if it is graceful, but when I see Beyonce dance on a TV commercial it makes me cringe. She is an amazon and tall people (like me) don't dance well in general.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Generally I feel like I can dance way better than I actually can. So I feel like a sexy mofo, but I just look like an awkward girl who thinks she's sexy.

But I love dancing....it's just better on my integrity if I do it alone. :cheese:

MBTI Type
INTJ
Excerpted from something else I wrote. This pretty much nails it. I struggle to think of any social activity as acutely unpleasant.

But fast dancing is just the most terrifying experience I can imagine. I can count the number of times I’ve done it on one hand and have enough fingers left over to type this story at a pretty good clip. And those few times I did do it, I was lubricated by enough beer to drown a horse. Allow me to explain what happens in my brain when I’m dancing. Imagine that you are on the dance floor among a crowd of people. Further imagine that not only are you in your underwear, but that your underwear is Wonder Woman Underoos. With a tear in the back. Under a spotlight. Now multiply that by ten, and you’re getting close to the abject fear involved here.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thank you...

Related: do you care if someone's a good dancer? Do you find it attractive? I used to think I cared until I finally danced with my bf of 5 years. I loved him and it was absolutely endearing but not unlike seeing the making of sausage.

*unrelated: perhaps I should start an NF thread on this. I randomly polled three of my friends (who happened to be ENFxs) and some interesting patterns emerged: most of us feel more connected with our true selves when dancing; we often dive straight into the most crowded part of the dancefloor as soon as we walk in to a room where dancing is going on; and a few of us admitted to scrambling, billygoat style, to the highest point in the room and dancing alone on top of whatever we could find (speaker, pillar, support beam, etc.) for an odd strain of extrovert: the isolated exhibitionist. Also known as the uninvited go-go dancer.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I like it because dancing helps put me in touch with my feelings and unconscious. Also it has helped gotten me laid/make out sessions, so positive association too.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Excerpted from something else I wrote. This pretty much nails it. I struggle to think of any social activity as acutely unpleasant.

Allow me to explain what happens in my brain when I’m dancing. Imagine that you are on the dance floor among a crowd of people. Further imagine that not only are you in your underwear, but that your underwear is Wonder Woman Underoos. With a tear in the back. Under a spotlight. Now multiply that by ten, and you’re getting close to the abject fear involved here.

hilarious. and adorable. so would you appreciate a kindly extrovert leading the way on the dancefloor, or would you rather be left alone in your equine state of inebriation?

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like it because dancing helps put me in touch with my feelings and unconscious. Also it has helped gotten me laid/make out sessions, so positive association too.

excellent point. probably a great place to meet extroverts (duh). naturally, i find the quiet one off by himself and drag him onto the dancefloor. a good friend always reminds me of the fact that I requested "Baby Got Back" at her wedding, got everyone riled up, and proceeded to mount her aged uncle. so, dear NTs, you're not alone in awkwardness...you probably just are better at preserving your dignity. :)

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ
hilarious. and adorable. so would you appreciate a kindly extrovert leading the way on the dancefloor, or would you rather be left alone in your equine state of inebriation?

Hmm. I would appreciate the sentiment behind that, because I do think that extroverts mean well when they try to pull us out of ourselves. But at the same time I can't help but think (assuming I didn't just meet her) that it also means she doesn't know me so well. I know this isn't necessarily fair, because not everyone understands how really introverted people work (especially ones who are also shy). But the gut reaction is "why are you doing this to me?" instead of "thank you for trying to help me".

93JC

Hate it. Hate it hate it hate it hate it.

Except slow dancing, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm. I would appreciate the sentiment behind that, because I do think that extroverts mean well when they try to pull us out of ourselves. But at the same time I can't help but think (assuming I didn't just meet her) that it also means she doesn't know me so well. I know this isn't necessarily fair, because not everyone understands how really introverted people work (especially ones who are also shy). But the gut reaction is "why are you doing this to me?" instead of "thank you for trying to help me".

hmm. i've found that being friendly (not pushy, but in a sincere way) or downright silly* tends to disarm the loner on the periphery of the dancefloor. mainly because i find in them a potential playmate.

*which, i admit to my everlasting shame (or not), has occasionally included doing the Chicken to/before them. i'm a fool that way.