• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs and poetry...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Based upon the discussion about SPs and poetry in another thread, I wish to ask NTs a similar question:

Do you like poetry?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Now personally, I don't like it. I really don't see the point of writing things in meter when you can write it in prose. I don't see why poetry is considered more imaginative than writing in prose, after all, most fictional stories are written in prose.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
yes I do.
I have always wondered about this. In poetry I seek to understand, to grasp and to reveal. I pay relatively little attention to form. Would this be opposite to S's?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yes I do.
I have always wondered about this. In poetry I seek to understand, to grasp and to reveal. I pay relatively little attention to form. Would this be opposite to S's?

I would say so. I have a hard time reading poetry because I'm involved with the form. That's why prose is so much easier to read when you're looking for meaning.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
No poetry for me, but I have an uncanny knack for knowing EXACTLY what an artist is talking about in song lyrics.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have an uncanny knack for knowing EXACTLY what an artist is talking about in song lyrics.

I am terrible at that. I also have trouble comprehending text I read even in prose. I sometimes have to think about it.

However, I am very good at creating my own meaning when I listen to classical music based on the rhythm. And this is why pure music becomes so abstract.

developer

MBTI Type
INTJ
No. I like literature in general and I read a lot of stuff by contemporary writers, but no poetry.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
I'm not really into poetry, but I like the symbolism within it.

Oh, and I'm a big fan of Dorothy Parker's poetry. . . but mainly because they are more like witty quips.

(Hey Uber, it'd be helpful to title your threads something that has to do with the OP, so people know what it's about before they click. Just a suggestion.)

No poetry for me, but I have an uncanny knack for knowing EXACTLY what an artist is talking about in song lyrics.

When in doubt. . . it's always about drugs.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I hate poetry or anything too symbolic because then I don't know what they're talking about, especially allegories.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love poetry. (I also love music and lyrical prose.)

I take each piece of poetry on its own terms. I am looking for its own unique pulse. If it has one, if it has lifeblood of its own, if it conforms to its own inherent pulse and beat (regardless of what external definitions it does or does not match), then I enjoy and respect it.

So I can enjoy song lyrics, I can enjoy E.A. Robinson, I can enjoy Dr. Seuss, I can enjoy Shakespeare, I can enjoy anything at all if it is true to itself.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I love song lyrics, too.
I guess they must be simple enough for me to understand.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So it seems, so far, that the NPs are at least semi-interested in poetry. It makes sense, since I would suspect the NJ (or J in general) would prefer bluntness in both reading and writing, since they tend to want things to be to-the-point.

Although most of the SJs here seem to take a neutral stance, and the SPs, thus far, seem not to like poetry at all or are more interested in the rhythm.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Well, I don't really like reading other peoples poetry in general, but having said that I have been known to write poetry myself. I think it is so I don't bottle my feelings up.

Rohsiph

MBTI Type
lego
I'm hoping to make it into a full-ride graduate program in poetry writing within the next three years (there are at least two in the US) . . . learning everything I can about reading and writing poetry right now, after a few years "percolating" with a more general undergraduate focus on literature and philosophy.

I've been trying to understand where poetry, as a unique artform, stands in the modern world. In my experience, most people either don't like poetry or never really pursue it. Misconceptions abound: poetry must rhyme, poetry must build from something, poetry must sound a certain way . . .

Poetry can do any of those things, but really poetry is writing in its most condensed form. Great poetry couples the abstract and concrete, giving surface and symbolic readings at once with words chosen carefully and purposefully.

My most recent guess is that most people expect poetry to reveal itself as quickly as film--while just barely understanding the connection between the arts therein. Poetry, often, appears to be "small"--a poem will often contain less words than other forms of writing. I wonder if the logic goes: fewer words = less time required to read/understand.

However, poetry--particularly for readers who haven't experienced a lot of different poetry--demands more than a quick glance. When given reflection and patience, a great poem will share its secrets in a way quite unlike prose, and also a bit different from verse.

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
I enjoy poetry when it's placed before me (in a class, for example), but I rarely seek it out. I enjoy analyzing poems. I've also written poems, but it's not something I do regularly. There's something fun about trying to fit all kinds of atmosphere and meaning into a particular format. It forces you to be more precise with your words and come up with creative juxtapositions of words and phrases to get your point or feeling across with impact. Poems to me are like communication puzzles, to be taken apart and put back together.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I do like good poetry, but poetry has to be read out loud to be fully appreciated. :)

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Rarely. I can always appreciate the poetry of Mawlānā Jalāl-ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī, and there was a Seamus Heaney poem about an island that appealed to me, but apart from that, I don't really like it.