• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs and poetry...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, I'll admit that I enjoy Wildcat-isms, and they've become much easier to understand over the months.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I do like good poetry, but poetry has to be read out loud to be fully appreciated. :)
I think I know what you're saying.
I once had someone quote a bit of Shakespeare to me and it was very beautiful.

25Hour

MBTI Type
INTP
I've always liked poetry. I don't know why, but it seems that any statement you wish to make sounds about ten times more profound when you put it in some kind of meter and rhyming scheme. Always had a thing for Kipling's poetry, especially. (Anybody else a fan of the Hymn of Breaking Strain?)

I've never been much for free verse, though. (I read poetry for the sound of it, not necessarily for the imagery.)

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
For those who like poetry, do you feel it is really possible to enjoy it in a language that is not your native language?

Rohsiph

MBTI Type
lego
For those who like poetry, do you feel it is really possible to enjoy it in a language that is not your native language?

This is an interesting question--

I can't say I've looked at very much translated poetry, but when I have I've wondered whether something significant had been lost.

For sure, the music is changed--if not the metaphor, the symbolism, the character of the poem entirely . . . but does not necessarily mean a translated poem will be inferior.

Yet, I do think there will always be the question--particularly when I am ultimately unfamiliar with the original language of the poem.

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I'm very interested in poetry. I haven't read as much as I would like to but I've always been partial to the somewhat metaphorical types such as the popularly known Robert Frost work "The Road Less Traveled", that which gradually reveals a story such Henry Longfellow's "The Village Smithy" or any of Shakespeare's plays, or one in which the details of the poem are left unstated until the end. As is typical of me in art, dark stuff such as "The Cremation of Sam McGee" has an extra appeal to it; I like poems that take me to another place or time.

Some Japanese haiku is incredibly beautiful.

cdal233

MBTI Type
INTP
I like quotes.

I could believe that a perfect poem is nothing more than the Ti or Fi continuously improving on itself until it reaches a point of perfection where it cannot go any further. Thus saying something a profound idea with as few words as possible/perfect format.

A quote has a one up on a poem, it does the same thing with even fewer words ;)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess, if anything, I like poetry that's directed to me!

But really, I like when anything is directed to me, especially when it boosts my ego! :)

Rohsiph

MBTI Type
lego
A quote has a one up on a poem, it does the same thing with even fewer words ;)

I'm curious . . . do you believe that great quotes embody the same scope of ideas that great poems achieve?

My understanding is that a great quote is at least slightly more limited than poetry. Perhaps we could agree, however, that an aphorism is something that exists as a marriage of quote and poetry?

nemo

Enneagram
<3
Who was it that said, Poetry is language approaching fruitful silence?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Who was it that said, Poetry is language approaching fruitful silence?
I don't know who said it, but that's pretty brilliant.

Good poetry expresses the maximum amount of meaning while using the minimum amount of words.

It's the opposite of something like, Legalese, which attempts to utilize the use of more words that effectively convey less meaning.