• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Si] Inferior Si.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

How have you coped with it being in the fourth seat? Any tips for increasing the usage?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Kill it with fire! :angry:

sculpting

granted my judging functions differ-but for me it seems more important to be able to recognize it and keep it under control and pointed in the right direction. Also when to recognize when it is closing my mind prematurely to other options on the table or holding me to a path that is too rigid under stress. Perhaps this recognition allows it to develop and be used more productively? I dunno.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I tried daily attention memory and reflex exercises. A complete waste of time.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Hmmm... Kill it with Fire was a close first, but Orobas how do you keep it focused in the right direction? Is it Ne and Fi constantly reminding you something could change?

Guesswho, were you inspired to do those excercises on your own or did someone suggest that it might help with your memory, or Si function?

Clean my glasses? Hm, so is it a suggestion not to get caught up with a muddled sensory memory, or the fact that cleaning my glasses (letting go of my predispositions?) will help better use my Introverted Sensing?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Can you train Si?

It's not simply a memory exercise; it's usage of perception along the lines of Ni, but you're connecting based on what you have sensed in the past.
Like for me, I'm constantly associating what I experience now via my senses with something that I've experienced before. I don't consciously see a '92 Camry and think 'what does this remind me of', instead I see it and it involuntarily takes me back to things that are stored in my memory ( Camry=last years in college= friends and such= events= feelings etc etc etc). What comes out of that is making a connection with something happening now, to perhaps figure out a plan of action.

Like Orobas, where she has to check it, I too have to take a step back sometimes to think more about other possibilities (Ne). I really think experience plays a part where it helps you to recognize that it's okay to deviate from your past experiences, and to try new things or new ways without too much worry. That piece takes practice.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can you train Si?

It's not simply a memory exercise; it's usage of perception along the lines of Ni, but you're connecting based on what you have sensed in the past.
Like for me, I'm constantly associating what I experience now via my senses with something that I've experienced before. I don't consciously see a '92 Camry and think 'what does this remind me of', instead I see it and it involuntarily takes me back to things that are stored in my memory ( Camry=last years in college= friends and such= events= feelings etc etc etc). What comes out of that is making a connection with something happening now, to perhaps figure out a plan of action.

Like Orobas, where she has to check it, I too have to take a step back sometimes to think more about other possibilities (Ne). I really think experience plays a part where it helps you to recognize that it's okay to deviate from your past experiences, and to try new things or new ways without too much worry. That piece takes practice.

Thats interesting...the connections I make are very(extremely) shallow compared to you in regard to where it takes me.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Si is an unconscious function, but I think it can be controlled. Through a conscious decision to make different decisions in the present. You can manipulate what you'll remember in some way like that, however I think my problem is I end up wallowing in the past trying to find something new that doesn't exist within it, but perhaps this is a faulty judging function instead of Si, though that's the area in which I wallow in.

Edit. Even there I feel like I had a realization even though it feels as if I've made that same one several times. Perhaps I'm looking at functions that are too much in my conscious view and look more into the functions I don't think I use, but always do. Perhaps my epiphany is related more too Ni? I should look there as if it were an unconscious function. Would socionics be the best place to look?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Si is an unconscious function, but I think it can be controlled. Through a conscious decision to make different decisions in the present. You can manipulate what you'll remember in some way like that, however I think my problem is I end up wallowing in the past trying to find something new that doesn't exist within it, but perhaps this is a faulty judging function instead of Si, though that's the area in which I wallow in.

Edit. Even there I feel like I had a realization even though it feels as if I've made that same one several times. Perhaps I'm looking at functions that are too much in my conscious view and look more into the functions I don't think I use, but always do. Perhaps my epiphany is related more too Ni? I should look there as if it were an unconscious function. Would socionics be the best place to look?

It might have something to do with your introverted judging function. I don't control where Si....if anything I probably have more control over Te than I do Si. I'm sure you don't control Ne, like I don't Si, but I have to put some conscious effort to rely on Ne, as it's not my first stop. If I was comfortable with my Si perception and had no interest in anything else, I could stop there, but if that answer isn't satisfying OR I simply want to explore my options for the sheer pleasure of not being tied down, I have to override my Si in favor of the choices that Ne bring. I think that's where I want to clarify what you're stating.

I think people associate Si too rigidly with memory. I don't have to consciously commit something to memory for it to pop up somewhere down the line. I don't even have to pay much attention to something in front of me for me to be able to recall it later- a passing glance may be sufficient. I don't choose what to remember. There might be some underlying reason why I remember certain things more readily than others (like why I'll remember a face way better than a name), but memorizing for the sake of memory is an exercise that I have to put effort into, just like anyone else.

( Note: I normally talk in terms of sight, as it's the readily sense to associate with memory, but Si works well with any sense- smell, taste, touch, hearing)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Play memory games. Iz "association game" might not work as well for Ne doms, because we'd be more tempted to use Ne instead.

Work at a corporate shit job that requires attention to detail.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Thats interesting...the connections I make are very(extremely) shallow compared to you in regard to where it takes me.

IMO Se is probably the least understood function around here. Where does it take you- let's say you had the same car memory?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh, another suggestion I have is to pay attention to your grammar and spelling...I think this is one of the ways I use Si...by correcting and editing my own typing and also correcting others.

I've been told that by focusing too much on memories, especially personal memories, this isn't really necessarily using Si. Or it's using Si through the filter of an F function.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Play memory games. Iz "association game" might not work as well for Ne doms, because we'd be more tempted to use Ne instead.

Work at a corporate shit job that requires attention to detail.

I think you may have a point. Put yourself in a situation where you are forced to pay more attention to detail.

I know I got more comfortable with my Ne by working in an area where we are encouraged and rewarded to look at things from fresh perspective and implementing initiatives that are more big pictured in nature.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh, another suggestion I have is to pay attention to your grammar and spelling...I think this is one of the ways I use Si...by correcting and editing my own typing and also correcting others.

I've been told that by focusing too much on memories, especially personal memories, this isn't really necessarily using Si. Or it's using Si through the filter of an F function.

How about reliance on what associations come to mind when you are problem solving? An example: the last time I went to X restaurant, immediate Si tells me the food sucked. Later on, Ne tells me that we'll have a good time. Will somewhere down the line (Ne dom/aux) you recall that your food was nasty as a secondary thought?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Hm, I have to find something that requires attention to detail? I suppose it would, as it does, automatically sound somewhat boring to me, but I'll think of some ways to make it more lively.

Yeah, when I say memory, I suppose I mean remembering, not so much the specificity of the remembering just having something that you concretely remember at all and not forgetting about it and then thinking that you had a new realization when you could've looked in your trunk and see that you had already had the realization.

Marm, I think you nailed it with the Si through the Fe lens (my instance at least). I'm relying too much on inferior functions. I know they're inferior because they've caused me more grief and I don't seem to control them, or 'use' them as easily as Ne and Ti. My life is too stagnant!I need new things to analyze.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
How about reliance on what associations come to mind when you are problem solving? Like the last time I went to that restaurant, Si tells me the food sucked. Ni tells me that We'll have a good time. Will somewhere down the line (Ne dom/aux) you recall that your food was nasty?

It isn't even somewhere down the line. I'll remember it right away. If the only memory I have a restaurant (a place to eat) is that the food was bad, then of course I'm going to make a judgement of the restaurant based on that.

See - this is where this S/N stuff gets tricky. We all have eyes, we all walk and do physical things like drive cars or exercise or listen to music.

The difference is kind of like what you were talking about to me one time on my wall, where you remember every little thing in detail, like exactly where you were when you were driving while listening to a particular tape. You were able to tell me about positions of your car, etc.

To me that kind of memory would be more vague.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Will somewhere down the line (Ne dom/aux) you recall that your food was nasty as a secondary thought?

This may exemplify my issue better. My issue is that Ne/Fe will wish to give it another chance every single time so as nothing is missed, when Ti should just swoop in and bring a conclusion not to go there, it is about my Ti (damn, I'm not as critical as I should be, as much as I must be. Wouldn't that make me cynical, or is that such a horrible thing to be?).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hm, I have to find something that requires attention to detail? I suppose it would, as it does, automatically sound somewhat boring to me, but I'll think of some ways to make it more lively.

Yeah, when I say memory, I suppose I mean remembering, not so much the specificity of the remembering just having something that you concretely remember at all and not forgetting about it and then thinking that you had a new realization when you could've looked in your trunk and see that you had already had the realization.

Marm, I think you nailed it with the Si through the Fe lens (my instance at least). I'm relying too much on inferior functions. I know they're inferior because they've caused me more grief and I don't seem to control them, or 'use' them as easily as Ne and Ti. My life is too stagnant!I need new things to analyze.

Yeah pay attention to detail. That's why I suggested grammar and spelling as well as doing actual physical work which requires attention to detail. I guess we could lump accounting in with that. :smile:

Instead of working on personal or emotional memory - which you appear to have a strong grasp on, as do I - literally do memory games where you have to memorize impersonal things and match them or something.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I think accounting might be the way to go. I never seem to do that with myself. I currently don't know how much money I have in the bank, always such a wonderful feeling! It's so boring. I have sudoku puzzles. I should find motivation to do those!