• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs; Inferior Se; And Horrible Taste in Automobiles...

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I drive a mercedes E. I will no doubt sometime buy myself a 75" corvette which is a bit of a child's dream (although the car is too small for my height to really drive comfortably), but other than that, I like my E.

Seventy-five inches is indeed a very small car.

sciguy90

I have an Audi A4. I enjoy it, it looks nice. I don't care too much on flashiness.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
216944934.jpg

I don't have a license. This gets me almost everywhere. No, I don't wear lycra.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
My first car:
DONE9599.jpg

My second car:
12706429.jpg

My third car:
2010-mazda-RX-8.jpg

(Actually third and fourth car. :))

Why the RX-8? One reason is it's the only production vehicle in the world that uses a rotary engine:

Wankel_Cycle_anim_en.gif
The only reason why I am "excusing" your choice in vehicles is that I really, really like you.

Also, don't ask me how or why but I know that the Mazda RX-8 is the only car that uses a different style of engine, which I guess is called a rotary engines, (I think I was looking up about engines on wikipedia and my current or ex-boyfriend, or some dude informed me of this interesting factoid), and, seeing how you are a man of physics, and imagination, I guess I'll give you some leeway... but, WHY RED?!?!?!?

It's so bright, and you're a guy, I dunno.

My mummy had a 78' cherry red 450SL convertible that my dad gave to her as a I-hope-you're-not-mad-at-me-that-you're-pregnant-and-just-found-out-that-I'm-married-with-two-kids gift, which she has always hated and I've always loved, because it was vintage and it was a convertible, which in my mind equals FUN FUN FUN!!!! :yes:

My dad had some beat up Mercedes dark charcoal gray diesel sedan that looked ghetto because it was weighed down with all his magazines, and periodicals he'd tote around, then he drove one of his daughter's mid to late 80's jettas. I don't know, I thought it was cool that some uber-intelligent radiologist drove such odd beaters.

It's just so annoying when you see a successful professional driving a car that is so uninspired, it's like you could put that entire person's life into a mass-produced jewelery box.

Sorry, I think I've lost my point.

Oh yeah, my favorite car posted thus far is Kalach's :D

Oh, and Highlander, growing up, my best friend's mother had a badass white Porsche, the style started with a C, and when she'd drive at a certain speed, this "wing" thing would come up, I think it's called a carrera(sp?) Also, my sister's ex, had the same car in a beautiful steel color, and we drove it through the canyons, and yeah, it was fun.

I just don't think geeks should be driving "cool" cars, it's below them.

:)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
After looking and briefly perusing this thread.

I DO NOT LIKE ANYTHING THAT OVERTLY DISPLAYS ONE'S "SUPERIOR" STATUS

I HATE PEOPLE WHO OSTENTATIOUSLY WEAR/DRIVE THEIR MONEY AROUND, IT'S DISGUSTING, AND CLASSLESS,

AND IT IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOO UNINSPIRED, THE SAME "FANCY" LABELS, THE SAME SYMBOLS OF WEALTH

I am thoroughly judgmental regarding this, I don't like it, it's pathetic and sad.

And, growing up in the environment I had, and living where I do, I see it all the time, and I HATE IT.

/End rant

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
WHY RED?!?!?!?

I can always spot my car in the parking lot, now.

Really, it was what was in the dealer's inventory and had been sitting on their lot for 6 months, it happened to fit my specifications (my specifications don't include color), and I only paid dealer's invoice for it.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I can always spot my car in the parking lot, now.

Really, it was what was in the dealer's inventory and had been sitting on their lot for 6 months, it happened to fit my specifications (my specifications don't include color), and I only paid dealer's invoice for it.
All logical reasons.

Question: Do you like driving fast?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I HATE PEOPLE WHO OSTENTATIOUSLY WEAR/DRIVE THEIR MONEY AROUND, IT'S DISGUSTING, AND CLASSLESS,

AND IT IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOO UNINSPIRED, THE SAME "FANCY" LABELS, THE SAME SYMBOLS OF WEALTH

I am thoroughly judgmental regarding this, I don't like it, it's pathetic and sad.

And, growing up in the environment I had, and living where I do, I see it all the time, and I HATE IT.

/End rant

It sounds like your real issue is with ESxx types, then. They tend to drive around even fancier cars than any INxx type, because they regard the car as a status symbol. The INTJs on here seem to be driving their cars because they like some aspect of their engineering, or because they feel like it suits their personality, or something like that.

I have to say, though, I would think that an Fi user would be the first to say that people have a right to do and have things that align with who they are and what they feel, regardless of what others think of them. Instead, you're bringing down the hammer and complaining about their choices being too "feminine," or "gaudy," which is actually a rather shallow judgment to make.

You don't know why they want that car, or seem to care how the car makes them feel. You're just passing judgment because of what YOU think it represents, and how you perceive it, and you think that they should respect that over their own feelings and reasons.

Ironically, I would say that you're condemning shallowness and vanity in a way that makes you look more shallow than the people you're condemning. Your standards are just reversed... you think more highly of people who drive around beaten-up or understated cars, and think poorly of people who drive around ostentatious ones. You're still using the same "shallow" standard as the person who admires ostentatious cars, you're just turning it upside down.

sculpting

/End rant

I totally endorse every single word you are saying-I feel almost exactly the same way about almost everything.... But do to my esfp sister, I learned to drive in a sports car, albeit an old one, and it is SOOOOO fun. I love driving a stick and going really fast and then feeling kinda pressed into my seat as I zoom around corners. But, it was an ugly rusty sports car, so perhaps I dont have to turn in my Fi idealistic card just yet. Hmmm..

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
It sounds like your real issue is with ESxx types, then. They tend to drive around even fancier cars than any INxx type, because they regard the car as a status symbol. The INTJs on here seem to be driving their cars because they like some aspect of their engineering, or because they feel like it suits their personality, or something like that.

I have to say, though, I would think that an Fi user would be the first to say that people have a right to do and have things that align with who they are and what they feel, regardless of what others think of them. Instead, you're bringing down the hammer and complaining about their choices being too "feminine," or "gaudy," which is actually a rather shallow judgment to make.

You don't know why they want that car, or seem to care how the car makes them feel. You're just passing judgment because of what YOU think it represents, and how you perceive it, and you think that they should respect that over their own feelings and reasons.

Ironically, I would say that you're condemning shallowness and vanity in a way that makes you look more shallow than the people you're condemning. Your standards are just reversed... you think more highly of people who drive around beaten-up or understated cars, and think poorly of people who drive around ostentatious ones. You're still using the same "shallow" standard as the person who admires ostentatious cars, you're just turning it upside down.

+1

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

/End rant

I thought more about the question in the OP. It is a good question. Why waste money on an expensive car?

As a child, I used to go through books reading about vintage automobiles – the Jaguar XKE, Mustang, Dino Ferrari, Ford GT, Rolls Royce Silver Cloud, Corvette, Aston Martin, etc. I had toy models of some of these cars. I suspect many children are interested in such things. One day these children grow up and the “toy” they wanted as a child is now within reach. So maybe they get one of these cars. Some buy a car that they dreamed about or something a bit lesser but in the same vein. Some have a second “fun car” – a vintage Mustang, Miata, or other. Some become collectors. Some people just like talking about buying one but never do.

So why does someone want to do this? I’ll give my opinion. Maybe they appreciate a thing of beauty. Maybe they like driving them - the responsiveness, acceleration, handling, or feel of the road. Maybe they like driving with the top down and the wind in their hair. There is a visceral appeal to these things. Call it inferior Se (or Se period) or whatever but there is no question that driving a Porsche is an enjoyable thing. If you drive a Honda and then drive a Porsche, It’s not really hard to understand why somebody would want the Porsche.

I personally do not buy a car very often. I get attached to my car. It becomes familiar. I rely on it to behave as I expect. In a strange way, it is a source of stability – like living in a place for a number of years – you get comfortable with it. The car I have now – I expect to put 125K - 150K miles on it. I spend a lot of time driving. If I’m going to do that, it might as well be in a car that I enjoy being in and that looks good. That’s what I figure anyway.

Do I feel like “hot shit” when I’m driving it? Sometimes, maybe I do – just a little. Sometimes, I’m a tad embarrassed. Sometimes I worry about what other people will think. There are probably as many people who will look down their nose at you as those who look up. My choice is to some degree a polarizing one which by its nature, is guaranteed to negatively impact some people’s views of me. But who cares really because I enjoy driving the car. So I’ve decided that at the end of the day, I worked for it, paid for it, and am not going to concern myself about what other people think about it. Believe it or not, these are things that I’ve given some fair amount of thought to but haven’t had a chance to jot down till now :)

For me, it's not so much about a fancy label. In fact, I prefer to get something that others do not have. I prefer something that is not popular. It's the reason I don't like SUVs. I would feel like a sheep buying one.

There are probably people who buy these things just for status though. Maybe they are the BMW owners. :biggrin:

sculpting

hmm, these are really great points, spot on... perhaps the root of the repulsive response we feel is something to do with a loss of authenticity-For me-and perhaps other enfps-especially when younger-being authentic is HUGE and feels compulsive. To the point i refused to wear makeup or fix my hair for a long time and I totally did the upside down judgment you are highlighting. Perhaps we are seeing others covering themselves in some way, hiding behind something and it sets off an Fi signal of inauthenticity which feels kinda yucky.....These are very preliminary ramblings though and it is interesting to think more upon.....

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5

Great post.

I know that this is a problem of mine, so much so that my sister confronted me about it when I told her I would never date a guy who drove a luxury car.

I think ultimately a person is a person, and good people can like and own fancy, ostentatious things, and lousy people can own crappy things.

I just don't like the idea of people *using* their money as a means to undeniably delineate that they are different, and by different I mean "above" other human beings.

I am sensitive to this issue due to the environment I was raised in, I've known plenty of ridiculously wealthy people who've managed to keep their feet on the ground, in fact, these were the only ones I've ever respected.

Extreme wealth, often times, facilitates a superiority complex in people, as if just because they have a lot of money they are divinely better. :huh:

Wealth is just not a metric that I use to judge a person's character or worth, and I cannot stand those who foolishly do use it as a means to judge someone as being better or worse.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I totally endorse every single word you are saying-I feel almost exactly the same way about almost everything.... But do to my esfp sister, I learned to drive in a sports car, albeit an old one, and it is SOOOOO fun. I love driving a stick and going really fast and then feeling kinda pressed into my seat as I zoom around corners. But, it was an ugly rusty sports car, so perhaps I dont have to turn in my Fi idealistic card just yet. Hmmm..

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I also enjoy the sensation of driving/riding as sport.

I love 4-wheeling, I love convertibles, I love motorcycles, I love riding horses, I love feeling great velocities, IT'S FUN!!!!! :D

I don't like flying in cesnas (sp?) though, that was not fun. :eek:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I thought more about the question in the OP. It is a good question. Why waste money on an expensive car?

As a child, I used to go through books reading about vintage automobiles – the Jaguar XKE, Mustang, Dino Ferrari, Ford GT, Rolls Royce Silver Cloud, Corvette, Aston Martin, etc. I had toy models of some of these cars. I suspect many children are interested in such things. One day these children grow up and the “toy” they wanted as a child is now within reach. So maybe they get one of these cars. Some buy a car that they dreamed about or something a bit lesser but in the same vein. Some have a second “fun car” – a vintage Mustang, Miata, or other. Some become collectors. Some people just like talking about buying one but never do.

So why does someone want to do this? I’ll give my opinion. Maybe they appreciate a thing of beauty. Maybe they like driving them - the responsiveness, acceleration, handling, or feel of the road. Maybe they like driving with the top down and the wind in their hair. There is a visceral appeal to these things. Call it inferior Se (or Se period) or whatever but there is no question that driving a Porsche is an enjoyable thing. If you drive a Honda and then drive a Porsche, It’s not really hard to understand why somebody would want the Porsche.

I personally do not buy a car very often. I get attached to my car. It becomes familiar. I rely on it to behave as I expect. In a strange way, it is a source of stability – like living in a place for a number of years – you get comfortable with it. The car I have now – I expect to put 125K - 150K miles on it. I spend a lot of time driving. If I’m going to do that, it might as well be in a car that I enjoy being in and that looks good. That’s what I figure anyway.

Do I feel like “hot shit” when I’m driving it? Sometimes, maybe I do – just a little. Sometimes, I’m a tad embarrassed. Sometimes I worry about what other people will think. There are probably as many people who will look down their nose at you as those who look up. My choice is to some degree a polarizing one which by its nature, is guaranteed to negatively impact some people’s views of me. But who cares really because I enjoy driving the car. So I’ve decided that at the end of the day, I worked for it, paid for it, and am not going to concern myself about what other people think about it. Believe it or not, these are things that I’ve given some fair amount of thought to but haven’t had a chance to jot down till now :)

For me, it's not so much about a fancy label. In fact, I prefer to get something that others do not have. I prefer something that is not popular. It's the reason I don't like SUVs. I would feel like a sheep buying one.

There are probably people who buy these things just for status though. Maybe they are the BMW owners. :biggrin:
God, I love you!

(((hug)))

Very great post!

You pulled me in, and now I am going to have to rethink about the veracity of my strong judgments.

Or, maybe you're just an exception to the rule. :p

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
hmm, these are really great points, spot on... perhaps the root of the repulsive response we feel is something to do with a loss of authenticity-For me-and perhaps other enfps-especially when younger-being authentic is HUGE and feels compulsive. To the point i refused to wear makeup or fix my hair for a long time and I totally did the upside down judgment you are highlighting. Perhaps we are seeing others covering themselves in some way, hiding behind something and it sets off an Fi signal of inauthenticity which feels kinda yucky.....These are very preliminary ramblings though and it is interesting to think more upon.....

Believe it or not, I, and probably many of the people who have posted their favorite cars on here, have shared, to some extent, all the thoughts that you and Silly share.

I actually still do to some extent, but I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, because I don't presume to know their reasons for owning the car that they do.

Until someone has demonstrated that they own a car for inauthentic reasons, I prefer not to go around chopping them to pieces with my judgments.

Perhaps people should consider the possibility that some people buy certain cars because they authentically desire and appreciate them.

Believe it or not, authenticity is important to other people too; some people just have different tastes to be authentic to.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Lol, Z, how are you enjoying your ENFPs quirky Fi? :D

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
To be fair and honest, this is one of my dream cars, too, and though I wouldn't call it a luxury car, I'm pretty sure it's not cheap.

images

:wub:

:drool: