• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs; Inferior Se; And Horrible Taste in Automobiles...

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Two Rx-8s in a row?

Was that because the rotary engine wore out?

I love the old Rx-7s, man. One of my favorites back in high school.

Rotary engines are sweet, but they just seem to wear down a little too fast...

No, the first was a lease. I wasn't sure if I'd like it. After the lease ran out, I got a good deal on purchasing a new one.

The rotary engine doesn't "wear out too fast." If you look at the history, it was the 2004-5 models that had engines suddenly break and require replacing, because the user maintenance required is very different from what one usually does. You need to check the oil and refill it regularly (every 1000 miles or so), because the apex seals (the bits on the "points" of the rotor's "triangle") need a constant supply of oil, but there's no way to recapture that oil after it has entered the combustion chamber.

So early on, when the RX-8 wasn't as well known as it it now, people often wouldn't maintain it properly, and it would just die. The 2009-10 RX-8s are more reliable, having learned from the early issues, and now most owners realize you can't skimp on the oil (the cheap, non-synthetic stuff ... it's not expensive to add the oil, it just means paying attention and taking care of the car more than most people are used to.).

In practice, the rotary engine runs VERY smoothly, shifting from gear to gear with no jerks and only the tone of the engine changes. It's so smooth, they added a BEEP tone to let you know you're redlining the engine. Due to the small size of the engine, the weight of the car is distributed -evenly- between front and rear wheels, and the resulting maneuverability is astounding. It's not the fastest thing on the road, but it handles the curves with alacrity and the breaking distance is significantly shorter than most other vehicles in its class: you have to go to smaller, much more expensive sports cars to find a better breaking distance. In other words, its strengths with respect to performance are strengths that one can actually use in daily driving.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
No, the first was a lease. I wasn't sure if I'd like it. After the lease ran out, I got a good deal on purchasing a new one.

The rotary engine doesn't "wear out too fast." If you look at the history, it was the 2004-5 models that had engines suddenly break and require replacing, because the user maintenance required is very different from what one usually does. You need to check the oil and refill it regularly (every 1000 miles or so), because the apex seals (the bits on the "points" of the rotor's "triangle") need a constant supply of oil, but there's no way to recapture that oil after it has entered the combustion chamber.

So early on, when the RX-8 wasn't as well known as it it now, people often wouldn't maintain it properly, and it would just die. The 2009-10 RX-8s are more reliable, having learned from the early issues, and now most owners realize you can't skimp on the oil (the cheap, non-synthetic stuff ... it's not expensive to add the oil, it just means paying attention and taking care of the car more than most people are used to.).

In practice, the rotary engine runs VERY smoothly, shifting from gear to gear with no jerks and only the tone of the engine changes. It's so smooth, they added a BEEP tone to let you know you're redlining the engine. Due to the small size of the engine, the weight of the car is distributed -evenly- between front and rear wheels, and the resulting maneuverability is astounding. It's not the fastest thing on the road, but it handles the curves with alacrity and the breaking distance is significantly shorter than most other vehicles in its class: you have to go to smaller, much more expensive sports cars to find a better breaking distance. In other words, its strengths with respect to performance are strengths that one can actually use in daily driving.

Nice review. Good to know.

Maybe it was just the old engines on the Rx-7s, but, back in high school, I used to hear from my enthusiast buddies that they'd be worn down and need to be replaced after 80-90,000 miles tops... I think they even said around 40-60,00 miles, you could start having problems...

:shrug:

Just found these sweet pics of a heavily modified and a new (?) DeLorean...

Had to share em:

delorean.jpg

71ec_delorean1.jpg

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've driven with her.

She wouldn't be able to handle it.

Which is one more reason for "Te, Se Fail"...

But they're very easy to drive. The roots of the Beetle and Porsche are closely tied by the way. You should tell her that.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Protecting-Your-Porsche-911-Classic&id=3596172

"The Porsche 911 has remained true to its roots for many years; fans of the 911 argue that this is what makes it so special. When you consider the early design sketches that were penned by Ferdinand Porsche in 1959 and examine the most recent revision of the Porsche 911 it is astonishing to note how little the basic design has changed since the 1960's. Of course when you consider the graceful curves and angles of the Porsche 911 it is easy to see how it takes many of its design cues from the Volkswagen Beetle, and whilst it may have been designed as a sportier version of the popular Beetle it has since redefined the notion of the supercar by building upon previous generations of the car year after year."

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/10/2012-volkswagen-new-beetle-porsche-356-revival.html

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nice review. Good to know.

Maybe it was just the old engines on the Rx-7s, but, back in high school, I used to hear from my enthusiast buddies that they'd be worn down and need to be replaced after 80-90,000 miles tops... I think they even said around 40-60,00 miles, you could start having problems...
Yeah, that plus the CAFE rules effectively eliminated RX-7s from the marketplace.

Mazda is well aware of the public image in such regards, and not only has a 8 year 100k mile warranty on the engine itself (well beyond the warranty on the rest of the car), they even backdated it so that it applies to older models. Reading around RX8Club.com, I've noted that while there are many stories that start off "I'm on my third engine" and similar, you look into the details and see that its a 2004-5 model. I don't see a lot of data talking about 2006 and later models needing replacement engines.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
But they're very easy to drive.

Is it stick?

If so: no go.

The roots of the Beetle and Porsche are closely tied by the way. You should tell her that.

You know, I've had that thought before, but I never knew the exact back story.

Thanks for the links. :)

Hot ride.

Ya'll got better taste than your perpetually angered looking faces give you credit for.

:laugh:

And this coming from an ISTJ!

Yeah, that plus the CAFE rules effectively eliminated RX-7s from the marketplace.

Mazda is well aware of the public image in such regards, and not only has a 8 year 100k mile warranty on the engine itself (well beyond the warranty on the rest of the car), they even backdated it so that it applies to older models. Reading around RX8Club.com, I've noted that while there are many stories that start off "I'm on my third engine" and similar, you look into the details and see that its a 2004-5 model. I don't see a lot of data talking about 2006 and later models needing replacement engines.

Interesting...

Thanks for the info. :)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There ya go! :solidarity:

sculpting

So - try driving one and tell me you still want to vomit.

f9q.jpg

Sp pretty.....

Actually I am a total Se fail and when asked what my first car should be I said a ford tauras because I didnt know any other car brands. Luckily my ESFP sister helped me select a car with my $700 and picked a "small economy car" that was "safe and reliable". i wrecked the first one and then bought a second one. hehehe, they were almost as old as me but were so awesome fun to drive.:

3367080071_large.jpg

I suppose I could settle for a 400z...

Automator

MBTI Type
intj
KPzJ8.jpg

What I currently drive, but in black.
Not extremely practical, but it's fun to drive. :cheese:

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Taste? TASTE? Implying refinement or discernment? Freakin Si users.

There is gaudy and there is austere, that is all.

T1whpfXiFbUJM4EXg0_033806.jpg

You know what's going to happen when everyone realises I was right? Abso-freakin-loottely nuthin, that's what.

Current "automobile", pffft, looks more like this:

0962914754.jpg

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I know, right, so now instead of dating some ENFP who can comfortably sit in lurid luxury she can comfortably despise, I genuinely do have to date ESFPs. Could an ENFP run alongside and like it?

My God, imagine that, an ENFP performing some irregular physical exercise as part of an excursion... the complaining starts out cute, but "r we there yet? r we theeeeerrreee yet?" gets old quick.

I do hope at least some of these cars are manual, though. Second-best wrist exercise there is, Se people.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I drive a mercedes E. I will no doubt sometime buy myself a 75" corvette which is a bit of a child's dream (although the car is too small for my height to really drive comfortably), but other than that, I like my E.