• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Something I have noticed

KilgoreTrout

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have not been a member of this forum very long and spend most of my time reading through the threads and something that has really intrigued me is the strict interpretations of each type.

I have seen people blame an argument on Fe, Ti, etc... which strikes me as being quite odd. The way I see the MBTI (and all personality matrices) is purely a framework for understanding the baser levels of people. For instance, I am an INTP, and my type describes me quite well; however, it does not take into account the occurrences throughout my life that will make me react or think a certain way. Chalking up a conflict as merely two personality types at odds because they don't naturally get along, does a disservice to all parties, in my view.

I look at the MBTI as a framework of my personality upon which my experiences are built and as a tool to help me identify the areas I would like to develop and better understand to become a more well-rounded person. To that effect, I also use it to try and relate to other people whom I do not readily understand. I would never use my type as a scapegoat for a conflict or bad behavior on my part by saying, "sorry I am an @$*#$, it's just my Ti coming out to play." (this is not an actual quote)

I am not trying to make waves in any way, but I am curious to what others' thoughts are on the matter.

(Also, this is a broad observation in all of the forums here, but since I am INTP I am posting it under the NT)

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
When people are talking about functional differences it is typically describing communication issues. While the base difference itself doesn't cause trouble the difficulty of understanding how someone else works or communicates can. Such issues will make interaction difficult which can lead to conflict. Part of MBTI is to understand others so that you can help solve such communication issues.

KilgoreTrout

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When people are talking about functional differences it is typically describing communication issues.

That makes sense, perhaps I am just not used to seeing awareness of the source of conflict.

Another aspect I have noticed about this forum is the curiosity (most) everyone seems to have about the other types! I am insatiably curious about the other types as well, so this makes me quite happy! Thank you for the input!

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Yep, BlueGray covered it. I've found myself more aware IRL of Fe-Fi communication differences thanks to this site. It helps me to realize it's just a difference in style and approach, rather than something more serious or sinister. :D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I have not been a member of this forum very long and spend most of my time reading through the threads and something that has really intrigued me is the strict interpretations of each type.

I have seen people blame an argument on Fe, Ti, etc... which strikes me as being quite odd. The way I see the MBTI (and all personality matrices) is purely a framework for understanding the baser levels of people. For instance, I am an INTP, and my type describes me quite well; however, it does not take into account the occurrences throughout my life that will make me react or think a certain way. Chalking up a conflict as merely two personality types at odds because they don't naturally get along, does a disservice to all parties, in my view.

I look at the MBTI as a framework of my personality upon which my experiences are built and as a tool to help me identify the areas I would like to develop and better understand to become a more well-rounded person. To that effect, I also use it to try and relate to other people whom I do not readily understand. I would never use my type as a scapegoat for a conflict or bad behavior on my part by saying, "sorry I am an @$*#$, it's just my Ti coming out to play." (this is not an actual quote)

I am not trying to make waves in any way, but I am curious to what others' thoughts are on the matter.

(Also, this is a broad observation in all of the forums here, but since I am INTP I am posting it under the NT)

I agree with you, tho its pretty uncommon for an intp to see things holistically and to put up a demand for a big picture :).

I am personally quite allergic when differences between humans are reduced to a function antagonism. I dont know why this is so, it just feels wrong. I have two theories regarding those people. The first is and I think this applies to some people, including myself: when one comes here, he often does it out of a quest for the own self. Often it's intuitive types who are in distress and felt like weirdos in their environment. Often this has made them kinda unreflected human beings which are in clear need for some guidance because they lackj a lot of experience in understanding other people. Those people then find mbti and suddenly become master psychologists. As an intuitive you always like it when things connect, when the sum of all small parts form a whole. MBTI in that regards is specious cause it actually tells you all things can be connected. Those newly found hobby psychologists then of course become all enthusiastic about the theory and start to analyze everything in detail, even down to the single functions, just to then at some point in their life find out again that for example a difference in human communication is dependant on much more finer tunes than just a Fi-Fe explanation could ever explain.

The second theory deals with analytical psychologists. Thgey basically treat psychology like math and will some day vanish in a deep sea with one of their last crazy ideas. It's difficult to change them in any way because most often they are so full of themselves that they lack to notice other people, but you can always smile and nod when you see one.

Bottom line I like your general expectations towards the mbti theory very much. I think you're on a healthy way with them and wont make the theory stronger than human themselves. Sure you aint entp ? We all started as intp once :)

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yea you're right. Not everybody does that though....I don't.
You will see stuff like "I can't stand the Fi in my girlfriend", "the milk man made a Fi joke that made me spill the milk all over his face", "I hate all ENFPs" etc.

I can't help remembering this dexter's laboratory episode, when they both had guns with stickers, to label things which are theirs. lol

T

ThatGirl

I 100% agree.

I think what you see happen here, is that people will eventually lock into the type bias. Like slang is still a form of English, no matter how distorted, the bias can also shed light on a different interpretation of understanding. Chunking types together happens not only by the observer, but the respondent, and therefore can be used to breech areas of miscommunication between people, or types, at odds with perception.

Basically, it becomes a language. Like any other language, you will use it or its distorted meaning when appropriate to do so.

That is what happens when a bunch of Ns get a hold of anything. :newwink:

KilgoreTrout

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sure you aint entp ? We all started as intp once :)
I have never tested as anything other than INTP and heavily INTP at that. I have read that ENTPs are the "introverted extroverts" so I suppose it's possible! What are the main differences between the two types?

I can't help remembering this dexter's laboratory episode, when they both had guns with stickers, to label things which are theirs. lol

I love that show and episode! My favorite part was when their parents came home and mistook him for Dee Dee since he was wearing her label :laugh:

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
INTPs can read stuff that contains more than 200 words.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
INTP posts are 10 times longer than the ENTP post. That's almost a fact.