• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Negotiating salary from the NT perspective

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Simple, if you are prepared to walk away with empty hands, "play hardball". If not, don't.

The results if trying to gain slightly more money than x are unpredictable because of insufficient information. Thus trying to do so has the same requirement as "playing hardball".

The question is, does the benefit of relocating to the city outweight the drawback of a lower pay? Or is the slightly higher pay worth risking that you won't easily be able to relocate to that city?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To the OP:

Have you done your homework and researched what others with similar education and experience are paid to do similar jobs in that general location? This is the strongest evidence you could present on why you should be paid the higher salary. If you cannot find adequate data, try to make a comparison: perhaps showing that people with even less experience are usually paid more than X; or that people are paid at least X in areas where the cost of living is much lower (if that applies). I once negotiated a starting salary 35% higher than what the hiring supervisor was offering by using this tactic. Then again, he wasn't nearly as hardnosed as the ENTJ you are describing. Actually, I think he was an INTP. As soon as I showed him the data, he agreed.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've turned down many solliciters that tried to negotiate salary. In fact, I never hired someone that did. :p

Maybe if the unemployment wasn't so high, I'd be thinking twice, but there's plenty of fish in the pond, why pay any of them more than you need too.

Although, the salaries I pay are slightly higher than what competition pays (which pay minimal). And I offer a much friendlier work environment then most.