• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Cognitive Function Results - INTPs

A

A window to the soul

I just retook the test and I still get ENTP. I fully understood each question. I don't have time right now to get on my soapbox about this, but I insist I'm not extraverted; as I said earlier, I only play one on TV. I don't buy into the popular concept that dominant Ne cognitive function makes someone extraverted. The definition of extraversion is that one gains energy around people; I do not. I'm pretty good at extraverting one-on-one or with small groups of people, but it's draining and I'm extremely shy when put on the spot or in the spotlight to speak. The MBTI INTP description fits me best; marginal INFP, yes (by MBTI description); marginal ENTP, maybe (by MBTI description). I do not identify with the MBTI ENFP description.

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ******* (20.9) limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********* (22.7) limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************ (49.4) excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ****************** (31.2) good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************* (38.1) excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************** (35.2) good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******* (20.8) limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********* (22.1) limited use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ENTP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: INTP, or ENFP

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Today's result:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ********************* (21.3)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************************** (34.5)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************************** (42.5)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************* (25.9)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************************** (32.2)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************** (38.4)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********** (11.2)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************** (34.4)
good use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTP

Result from last July

extraverted Sensing (Se) (19.6)
limited use

introverted Sensing (Si) (32.9)
good use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) (40.9)
excellent use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) (30.4)
good use

extraverted Thinking (Te) (24.5)
average use

introverted Thinking (Ti) (30.8)
good use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) (21.8)
limited use

introverted Feeling (Fi) (39.7)
excellent use

Sell the Fe! Invest in Ne!

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:dont: I must retake this.

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************ (27.8) average use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************* (28.8) average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *********************************** (50.4) excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************* (28.3) average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********** (26.8) average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) *************** (30.1) good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********** (26.3) average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******* (22.1) limited use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ENTP

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: INTP, or ENFP

I just retook the test and I still get ENTP. I fully understood each question. I don't have time right now to get on my soapbox about this, but I insist I'm not extraverted; as I said earlier, I only play one on TV. I don't buy into the popular concept that dominant Ne cognitive function makes someone extraverted. The definition of extraversion is that one gains energy around people; I do not. I'm pretty good at extraverting one-on-one or with small groups of people, but it's draining and I'm extremely shy when put on the spot or in the spotlight to speak. The MBTI INTP description fits me best; marginal INFP, yes (by MBTI description); marginal ENTP, maybe (by MBTI description). I do not identify with the MBTI ENFP description.

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************ (49.4) excellent use

I agree that there are some cases where someone can be Xe-dominant, but overall prefers introversion. There are some where a person is Xe dominant and refuses to be considered extraverted because they are shy or like being alone. A couple of introvert-like traits do not make an introvert, it is only taking into account one's dominant mode of thinking and looking at all the aspects of the I/E divide, that can determine it.
Truly Ne-dominant INTPs are not impossible, but they are odd. But in fact your pattern is pretty odd overall. The Ti is quite low by INTP standards and you have no function as an obvious weakness.
Since you seem very experienced with typology and you say that the INTP description fits the best, I'm going to guess that you are one of those who is in that gap where MBTI by cognitive functions and MBTI by dichotomy/description didn't quite connect. Unless there is something that you need to research further, I blame this on the many imperfections of typology.
For further research and explanation, find an expert, for I am not...

mysavior

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IT

Lead (Dominant) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

This has happened to me before. It means you're not thinking. Hopefully its just temporary.

A

A window to the soul

This has happened to me before. It means you're not thinking. Hopefully its just temporary.

^ I can't answer the test questions any differently than I did. I am what I am. A seemingly type-less, multi-faceted, loner nerd girl.

:run:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
PG, it's been my experience that quite a few ENTPs see themselves as introverts because ENTPs tend to do a lot of solitary projects and aren't obviously into people. FWIW, you don't really vibe like a typical INTP; but that is probably because Ti doesn't seem to be dominant for you. When I spent some time with an ENTP guy who thought he was INTP, it kept throwing me off because he was so Ne driven that he came off odd for an INTP. For an ENTP, he seemed normal. For an INTP, he seemed a bit crazy. I always got more of an INFP vibe from you, though. :shrug:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have been quite insistent in the past that I wasn't an E.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

Dizalddin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I also started to have mixed results after taking my Type test. Don't know if its an INTP thing or a me-thing. But started to over think things and got confused on what i would do v.s. what i would want to to. But i am new to this stuff. Everyone else seems like that can pick out anyone's type just by looking at them. :shock:

mysavior

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IT
PG, it's been my experience that quite a few ENTPs see themselves as introverts because ENTPs tend to do a lot of solitary projects and aren't obviously into people. FWIW, you don't really vibe like a typical INTP; but that is probably because Ti doesn't seem to be dominant for you. When I spent some time with an ENTP guy who thought he was INTP, it kept throwing me off because he was so Ne driven that he came off odd for an INTP. For an ENTP, he seemed normal. For an INTP, he seemed a bit crazy. I always got more of an INFP vibe from you, though. :shrug:

Yes, on the INFP vibe.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
I have been quite insistent in the past that I wasn't an E.

I am still quite insistant, regardless of how many people accuse me of having a loud voice, or being E due to talking more than them in (one-one) conversation, or smiling too much. (since when does smiling make one an E anyway?)

For me ENTPs tend to bring out the "Ne" (as you might call it - that crazy humor that ENTPs have) in me, but I think I am different on my own.

As far as the type function test goes, these tests haven't been objective for me for a long time (indoctrinated at an early age).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Looks like we've got an INTP who fits closer to the Beebe/Beren model.

I thought it was amusing that most of the INTPs have ENTP or INFP as the alternates; I have ENTP and INFJ. But... not much surprise there, I was raised by a horde of ISFJs.

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought it was amusing that most of the INTPs have ENTP or INFP as the alternates; I have ENTP and INFJ. But... not much surprise there, I was raised by a horde of ISFJs.

somehow, whether based on prejudice or a tinted view of gender and type, the cluster seems to include INFP & ENTP and where the gender difference seems to exist is with the fourth where for females it is more likely than not INFJ, whereas for males its likely more INTJ than not. The male side, the 4th in the cluster being INTJ, I can say from personal introspection of sorts and observation/similarity based on observer's inputs; whereas for females its based on seeing the frequency of INFJ females sometimes considering they might be INTP & vice versa sometimes too.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It's because you have much more Fe than the average INTP. You are an anomaly! *makes sign of the cross*

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4

I can relate alot. I see myself as a hermitic humanist (no doctrines included). I do relate more to Fe in my day to day life more than Fi. The big questions of who I am and if what I do is coherent with my self image is driven from a desire to understand and relate to my surroundings via Ti with a stint of Fe. Fe helps to keep my ego down.

sleepy

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************** (26.5)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************* (21.3)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ***************************************** (41.5)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************ (24.3)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ****************************** (30.4)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************************************** (41.7)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************* (21.2)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************** (32.3)
good use

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I probably have as much Fe as the next person. I just don't use it. :>

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP

I got ENTP and ISTP as the alternates, because I tested kind of high on Se. I've been working on developing that, though, through studying music and dance. I'm trying to be more in the moment and less spacey, but let's face it, I'll always be a bit spacey. I like feeling a bit more balanced, though.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm surprised there aren't more ISTP alternates. It probably has to do with the general failure of this forum to attract Se.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's because you have much more Fe than the average INTP. You are an anomaly! *makes sign of the cross*

arrrg! It burns! It burns!

*turns into a vampire hedgehog and scurries away*
^^ see, I can't even transform right. :(

chi'xer said:
]somehow, whether based on prejudice or a tinted view of gender and type, the cluster seems to include INFP & ENTP and where the gender difference seems to exist is with the fourth where for females it is more likely than not INFJ, whereas for males its likely more INTJ than not. The male side, the 4th in the cluster being INTJ, I can say from personal introspection of sorts and observation/similarity based on observer's inputs; whereas for females its based on seeing the frequency of INFJ females sometimes considering they might be INTP & vice versa sometimes too.

Well, for me, I think it's definitely based on my higher Fe scores, like Salome says... Despite going through all my kneejerk reactions against Fe oppression and ESFJ manipulations as a teen and young adult, I still absorbed the skill as useful and as "normal" growing up, and since I feel like it has taken me years to develop a more organic social interaction with people, the Fe framework gave me something to go with in the meanwhile... kind of a crutch, a system of rules I could delineate and then follow... and at this point I can see how to use it to achieve various goals not as easily achieved through other means.

But even now, when I'm actively acting within that framework, I'll go to say something that I know exemplifies the script but then choose to tone it down because it's just too much for my other sensibilities. So it's interesting to view inferior functions in terms of how they are used as tools rather than as core approach -- the primary/secondary is still holding the reins.

To get back more to your point, I can see where gender might have played into choosing an Fe vs a Te secondary. Everything in that square is basically introverted, with ENTP having some introverted qualities. I would say INJ is a pretty introverted type altogether, and they've simply flavored the extroversion function with male/female socialization leanings. But I'll have to think about it more.

I got ENTP and ISTP as the alternates, because I tested kind of high on Se. I've been working on developing that, though, through studying music and dance. I'm trying to be more in the moment and less spacey, but let's face it, I'll always be a bit spacey. I like feeling a bit more balanced, though.

Same here, I'm always gonna have that slight "spacey" thing too, I can't quite lock in.

I find I drop into an Se mode most when I'm forced to simply do something in real-time and don't have time to think. Ironically, my most current experience (IMO) is playing Need for Speed on my computer; I'm actually really good at it, I don't have time to think.... I go into complete immersion mode and am just responding to everything around me, and all my senses are keyed up. I'm not even thinking, and then acting; I am just acting.

But in less pressing situations where I don't have data coming at me non-stop, I have a lot of trouble making myself just observe. it basically has to be goal-focused.