• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Cognitive Function Results - INTPs

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My observation of the results in each of these threads is that Fe seems oddly low.

Also, while Ne types seem to have lots of Ne, Se types frequently seem to scoring about as low as is possible on Se while still maintaining their type (though I always knew that Se was scarce here).

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
My observation of the results in each of these threads is that Fe seems oddly low.

Also, while Ne types seem to have lots of Ne, Se types frequently seem to scoring about as low as is possible on Se while still maintaining their type (though I always knew that Se was scarce here).

A lot of the Pe-doms are actually registering high in both Se and Ne.

I'm not sure whether there' s a problem with the test, or whether Pe functions are just easier to switch between when in the "dominant".

In order:
Ti (48) excellent use
Ne (43.9) excellent use
Ni (43.1) excellent use
Fe (27.9) average use
Te (25.6) average use
Si (21.4) limited use
Fi (20.3) limited use
Se (10.4) unused

Looks like we've got an INTP who fits closer to the Beebe/Beren model.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A lot of the Pe-doms are actually registering high in both Se and Ne.

I'm not sure whether there' s a problem with the test, or whether Pe functions are just easier to switch between when in the "dominant".

People may be drawn to cognitive process descriptions that have the same "attitude" (introverted or extroverted). This is why Pe types will sometimes identify to a degree with both Pe descriptions, even though one that is not their preferred P function. The same is true for the other processes. For example, I test relatively high on Ti, but I really think that as a Fi-dom, its identification with Ji.

Sometimes, people do the opposite; they identify with the function over the attitude, so if they are an F, they'll test high on both the F functions and low on both the T functions, regardless of their preferred function's attitude. Using myself again, I test high on Ni, but I really think its just an identification with iNtuition, period.

That's why these tests are not a good way to really measure what functions you use a lot or well, or your order of preference. I think they are good for confirming your type though, and there does seem to be some patterns in how types test (even if contrary to expected type function orders).

lets eat pie

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w6
extraverted Sensing (Se) **************** (16.8)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) **************************** (28.7)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ***************************************** (41.1)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************** (34.8)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************** (26.8)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************************* (43.1)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********* (9.7)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) *************************************** (39.8)
excellent use

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************************** (46.7)
excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************* (43.7)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************************** (34.6)
good use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************************* (31.1)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) **************************** (28.3)
average use
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************* (25.6)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************* (21.2)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********* (9)
unused

I scored INFP? That's a first. You can check to see the discrepancy between this cognitive function test and another one I took which listed the functions in my sig. (I don't remember which test it was...sorry.)

I took the test just going with my first instinct on most questions because I didn't feel like taking an hour to differentiate between the semantic meaning of the questions vs. what they wanted them to mean.

Although, I will say that lately I've been giving more credence to Ne when it comes to the decision-making process.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
what i scored was slightly different from what i remember scoring last time which was a year or two ago. Ti, Ne and Ni have remained my best used functions. apparently. My Fi score is alot higher this time, last time it was near rock bottom, where Fe will always lay.
I'm conscious of always trying to develop Te and valuing it, and this time, its apparent usage increased.
last time my Ne surpased my Ti. :shrug: they're pretty close anyway.

excellent:
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************************** (50.1)
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************************ (48.8)
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************* (37.6)

good:
extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************************* (31.9)

limited:
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************** (22.2)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ********************* (21.5)
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************* (19.3)

unused:
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******** (8)

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************************* (43.3)
excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ***************************************** (41.3)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) **************************************** (40)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************************ (36.4)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************* (26)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************** (20.8)
limited use
extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************** (20)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************ (12.4)
unused

(Wow, I'm becoming dangerously close to an INxP... but I highly doubt the Fi is ever going to fully overtake the Ti... I'm always stubbornly Ti-Ne-something, well except for that weird time when I was Ne-Ti. I think those who know me would laugh if I suggested I was an extravert in any sense of the word. Also note the 'excellent' Te and average Si)

It's almost universally true (assuming these tests measure what they purport to measure) that INTPs have more access to Fi than Fe. I.e. the data provides stronger support for Lenore Thomson's model than Beebe's/Beren's.

I don't know much about these models, but my hypothesis is that INTPs are generally going to have stronger Fi than Fe because INTP is way closer to IxFP than to ExFJ. In particular, there are going to be some INTPs who are going to be borderline on the T/F but very few who are borderline ExFJs.

Tecla

MBTI Type
INTP
extraverted Sensing (Se) *********************** (23.4)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************ (24.5)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *********************************************** (47.5)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *********************************** (35)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************ (24.3)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************************************* (45.5)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************ (12.2)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) *************************** (27.4)
average use

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People may be drawn to cognitive process descriptions that have the same "attitude" (introverted or extroverted). This is why Pe types will sometimes identify to a degree with both Pe descriptions, even though one that is not their preferred P function. The same is true for the other processes. For example, I test relatively high on Ti, but I really think that as a Fi-dom, its identification with Ji.

Sometimes, people do the opposite; they identify with the function over the attitude, so if they are an F, they'll test high on both the F functions and low on both the T functions, regardless of their preferred function's attitude. Using myself again, I test high on Ni, but I really think its just an identification with iNtuition, period.

That's why these tests are not a good way to really measure what functions you use a lot or well, or your order of preference. I think they are good for confirming your type though, and there does seem to be some patterns in how types test (even if contrary to expected type function orders).

So you're suggesting that people are "drawn to" a function but that this doesn't indicate a preference?

I'm tempted to say "does not compute", but I know how you hate that. ;)

If the test isn't efective at establishing relative strength of preference for each function then it can't be relied upon to establish type (i.e. top 2).
If it's a reliable test of type (order of top 2), then there is no basis for concluding that the rest of the order is somehow invalid or inaccurate.

If I am "drawn" to idiosyncratic expresssion of values(Fi), why would I behave in a way that is group-norm directed(Fe)? This makes no sense.

One's inferior function is the opposite of one's dominant function. Inferior = unused, undifferentiated, undeveloped. The test results (the individual's self-perception) support this in the majority of cases. So what's the problem? And what would be a good way of measuring one's preference, given that you think answering questions about it is not a good way?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************** (20.3)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************** (22.3)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************************** (42.3)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************ (36.1)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************************************* (43.6)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) *********************************************** (47.5)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******** (8.8)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************* (19.1)
limited use

Fi should probably test higher but I know when it's asking for Fi, and since I know the question's appeal is just Ji appeal I make adjustments. I suppose that invalidates my score. But alas. Somewhat of an explanation below"

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31276&p=1418226&viewfull=1#post1418226

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
So do you think you're getting a false positive on Te and Ni too? Or are those ones correct?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm actually pretty sure those are right. I'll never prefer Te and Ni over Ti-Ne though, they only get so high simply because they're in isolation. Same thing happens on that MMDI test for me, when they split the functions into dichotomies. They ask you, "Ni or Se, Fi or Te" and since I obviously prefer intuitive introspection over concrete action and interpretation, my Ni score gets jacked up when it really shouldn't.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
But shouldn't that effect be lesser on this test, since it doesn't split the functions into dichotomies?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People shouldn't take tests when they know too much theory.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I've always tested the same: before I knew about the theory, and after I knew about the theory.

I know what you mean, though: they might taint their own results.

But if they can manage to answer honestly even after learning the theory, their results can still come out accurately.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Me too. Even when I try not to!

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
But shouldn't that effect be lesser on this test, since it doesn't split the functions into dichotomies?

Yeah I'm still shaking off morning fuzz so I'm not making much sense. In a test like this, where functional expression is not artificially limited by the test for choosing other functions, I'll get high "use" scores simply because I identify with both orientations of my dominant functions to some degree. I identify with the Ti the most, but the "language" of Te for me is easy to adopt simply because it's still impersonal evaluation, the criteria is just different. Same with Ni, though I sort of agree with Magic in that a lot of the mystical connotations are off putting and I'd think you'd have to be an idiot to trust a Ni evaluation on it's own without any sort of judgment check :laugh: But that's because I don't have a lifetime of experience using it dominantly. If, for example, the test asked me to choose between Ti vs Te and Ni vs Ne, my scores for my shadow functions would plummet.

People shouldn't take tests when they know too much theory.

This too. If you're trying to derive a pattern out of these, you might want to discard mine.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
JocktheMotie said:
This too. If you're trying to derive a pattern out of these, you might want to discard mine.

It just so happens that I like anomalies.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Yeah I'm still shaking off morning fuzz so I'm not making much sense. In a test like this, where functional expression is not artificially limited by the test for choosing other functions, I'll get high "use" scores simply because I identify with both orientations of my dominant functions to some degree. I identify with the Ti the most, but the "language" of Te for me is easy to adopt simply because it's still impersonal evaluation, the criteria is just different. Same with Ni, though I sort of agree with Magic in that a lot of the mystical connotations are off putting and I'd think you'd have to be an idiot to trust a Ni evaluation on it's own without any sort of judgment check :laugh: But that's because I don't have a lifetime of experience using it dominantly. If, for example, the test asked me to choose between Ti vs Te and Ni vs Ne, my scores for my shadow functions would plummet.

I read somewhere a description of INTJs as a strange blend of empiricism and mysticism.

I think your guys' need for specific definitions causes Ni to taste off-putting to you, as it tends to be more visually, spatially, and temporally oriented, and less linguistically and definitionally oriented (like Ti).

I just like to look at as many of them as I can (the more empirical evidence the better), make my observations, form hypotheses, ask questions and conduct experiments, and then do it again.

With some you learn more, with some you learn less; some you trust more, some you trust less...

It just so happens that I like anomalies.

Ditto.

Unless she was flirting...

:ninja:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think your guys' need for specific definitions causes Ni to taste off-putting to you, as it tends to be more visually, spatially, and temporally oriented, and less linguistically and definitionally oriented (like Ti).
You're looking at Ti through a Te lens. (naturally!)
It might be expressed linguistically or in some other formal notation - but that's not how it's experienced internally.

Unless she was flirting...

:ninja:
Lol. Is that how INTJs flirt?
I find your function clusters anomalously attractive. *wiggles monobrow*