• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] INTP vs. INTJ regarding the search for evidence

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
This is known as INTPs being jealous of how much faster Ni works than Ti, and thinking Te is all that goes on in an INTJ's head.

This is why the INTJ should be in charge of formulating the plan of attack based on which insights, developed via brainstorming sessions with the ENTP and INTP, he/she deems the most promising.

This is why the INTP will not get the job done, unless he/she has an INTJ telling them to focus.

This is what an INTP would like, but the search would be inefficient, take too long, and lose funding.

The proper team would be:

INTJ
| V
| INTPs+ ENTPs
V
ISTJs

In addition to the above-mentioned brain-storming sessions between the INTJ, ENTP, and INTP:

The INTJ would be focused on directing and communicating between the NTPs and the ISTJs.

The NTPs would be focused on the more exploratory, ground-breaking lab work.

The ISTJs would be focused on performing the tasks deemed necessary based on the results of the NTPs' lab work, as determined by the INTJ.

This is close to how stuff works. You forgot the ENTJ above the INTJ who is managing everything, though.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
This rings true to some extent, other than the part about "They will happily set out into the scientific/academic wilderness without a notion of where they will end, content in the knowledge that the path looks interesting.". It's not that we don't have any notion where we will end up, we just honestly want the information, the data, or the research to lead us to truth - wherever that happens to end up. We realize going in that there are a number of possible outcomes to whatever research we may be doing - even outcomes we hadn't thought of yet. It would almost be like if every bit of existing evidence said that "the earth is flat". And then an NTP would set out to find the corners and/or the end of the earth, knowing all the while that it might not be flat. Maybe it's a cube, maybe it's a sphere. Maybe it's something else altogether that hasn't been proposed by anyone yet. We don't rule out *crazy* possibilities - we consider them as plausible until it's been proven otherwise. We'll set out to find the truth and we'll get to the bottom of it one way or another - even if we have to sail the 7 seas ourselves. It's basically an attitude of "forget what the experts say, I'm going to find out for myself". I'm going to go places that others haven't gone before and whatever turns up, turns up. Rather than us leading the data to where we want it to go (or where we expect it to go, or where others say it *should* go), we want the data and the information to lead us to the truth. And sometimes that goes into unexpected places and unexpected results (aka, "blue sky").

Yeah, I probably over emphasised the point there. The important point was that INTPs criteria for selecting a topic for research are lessed bassed around pragmatic considerations.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
i got ahead of you by saying "no" :yes:

No, you thought you got ahead of me.

This is close to how stuff works. You forgot the ENTJ above the INTJ who is managing everything, though.

:laugh:

Trust me, I thought about it, but didn't want to admit it...

See INTP: some INTPs are actually smart enough to recognize and accept the truth.

Hence, why I said in that other thread why I'm pretty sure they don't want you as their spokesman.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
This-thread.jpg

INxJ pissing contest. How helpful to the lady who asked a serious question.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Okay, lets review the facts.

Having either extroverted thinking or introverted thinking has no additional benefit to logical deduction as the function is the same, just not the displayed attitude and the level of sharing.

Similarly having either introverted intuition or extroverted intuition has no additional benefit to forming intuitive hunches as the function is the same, just not the displayed attitude and the level of sharing.

Both types have T and N in the 'always in the conscious' function positions, dominant and secondary and both therefore have a natural preference towards this sort of activity.

The approach will be different however: The INTJ will be happy to share their discretised logical deductions on what has occured continually through the process even if they are not yet 100% confident in those deductions (Te); however, they may not reveal their internal perspective on how they are forming those conclusions until it has reached a very high level of complexity and maturity (Ni).

By contrast the INTP will be happy to share the perspective of how they think the information is patterned and what that shows even they are not yet 100% confident in those perspectives (Ne); by contrast they will not reveal their logical deductions until they have reached a very high level of complexity and maturity (Ti).

Important Caveat: Just because someone has intuition and thinking in their subconscious positions (tertiary + inferior) does not mean they don't subconsciously use those very successfully!

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Yeah, I probably over emphasised the point there. The important point was that INTPs criteria for selecting a topic for research are lessed bassed around pragmatic considerations.

Yeah, can we all admit that INTJs aren't only about pragmatism, and that INTPs aren't completely disinterested when it comes to pragmatism.

I agree that INTJs will care more about pragmatic ends and INTPs just about knowing for knowing's sake, but I think it's often overplayed that INTJs "don't care about the truth", and, likewise, I don't think INTPs don't give two shits whether their findings can benefit humanity via practical application.

We each have the sides we lean more towards, but can we admit that this construction tends to get a bit too overplayed?

I mean, from the INTJ perspective: do you think we really want the wrong answer? :rolleyes2:

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So basically the INTP is looking for evidence to show the inner mechanisms of Theory A, ... whereas INTJs look for evidence to show that Theory A is a useful tool... either to help things run more efficiently, cure a disease, etc.

This is the core of it. Let's look at an analogy where INTP and INTJ seem to be doing the same thing, but their different perspectives lead to very different observations and conclusions.

Let's say an INTP and an INTJ are studying a wrist watch. Let's even allow them to have multiple copies so that they can take it apart or otherwise experiment and they can still get a working watch at the end of the process.

The INTP will go in, analyze the circuitry, research electrical engineering, wafer chip design, etc., and come away with a complete logical understanding of the mechanisms of the watch and how it all works together to keep track of the time.

The INTJ will go in and try to figure out how the watch works. He'll push buttons, set the time, program alarms, all with a mind to understanding the watch's functionality, what it means when it says a particular time, and what it's useful for. He might even expose it to temperature extremes to see whether it changes the rate of timekeeping compared to a control watch, or see how resistant the watch is to being under water at various depths.

In the end, the INTP knows what the watch is, far better than the INTJ. He can tell you how it was made, the underlying logic of the circuitry, and probably have several ideas for "improving" the watch, e.g., make it even more accurate than it is.

The INTJ will know what the watch does far better than the INTP. He will understand its capabilities and its limitations. He'll know that he needs to remove it if he goes swimming, because the water test failed, and that it runs about 5 seconds per month faster than an atomic clock, so after a year he'll have to wind it back one minute.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
This is the core of it. Let's look at an analogy where INTP and INTJ seem to be doing the same thing, but their different perspectives lead to very different observations and conclusions.

Let's say an INTP and an INTJ are studying a wrist watch. Let's even allow them to have multiple copies so that they can take it apart or otherwise experiment and they can still get a working watch at the end of the process.

The INTP will go in, analyze the circuitry, research electrical engineering, wafer chip design, etc., and come away with a complete logical understanding of the mechanisms of the watch and how it all works together to keep track of the time.

The INTJ will go in and try to figure out how the watch works. He'll push buttons, set the time, program alarms, all with a mind to understanding the watch's functionality, what it means when it says a particular time, and what it's useful for. He might even expose it to temperature extremes to see whether it changes the rate of timekeeping compared to a control watch, or see how resistant the watch is to being under water at various depths.

In the end, the INTP knows what the watch is, far better than the INTJ. He can tell you how it was made, the underlying logic of the circuitry, and probably have several ideas for "improving" the watch, e.g., make it even more accurate than it is.

The INTJ will know what the watch does far better than the INTP. He will understand its capabilities and its limitations. He'll know that he needs to remove it if he goes swimming, because the water test failed, and that it runs about 5 seconds per month faster than an atomic clock, so after a year he'll have to wind it back one minute.

What I like most about this post is that it's objective. There is no hint of a personal bias or leaning towards one type being "better" than the other. It acknowledges the strengths of each type and gives credit where credit is due.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I agree with uumlau's general assessment pretty strongly.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, you thought you got ahead of me.

what if i created a new game that you dont know your playing, and i created this new game so that you would reply how you just replied. doesent it mean that i was actually ahead of you? and even if you caught up with the game and replied like that just to test this new game(by playing along) i made, so that you would get ahead of me. doesent it mean that i actually was ahead of you at that point and make your previous statement wrong?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
what if i created a new game that you dont know your playing, and i created this new game so that you would reply how you just replied. doesent it mean that i was actually ahead of you? and even if you caught up with the game and replied like that just to test this new game(by playing along) i made, so that you would get ahead of me. doesent it mean that i actually was ahead of you at that point and make your previous statement wrong?

No, because I'm always three steps ahead of you.

What you described was being just one step ahead of somebody.

Only someone always three steps behind would have mistaken it for impressive.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

What I like most about this post is that it's objective. There is no hint of a personal bias or leaning towards one type being "better" than the other. It acknowledges the strengths of each type and gives credit where credit is due.

I agree with uumlau's general assessment pretty strongly.

Really?

I didn't think it was that great... I've seen uumlau do better... :wink:

I don't think it really demonstrates the difference between INTJs' and INTPs' thinking all that well...

I think INTJs want every thing they learn to be part of a larger goal, an imperative; while INTPs' imperative is to learn as much as they can, for the (sole) goal of acquiring that knowledge -- knowledge for the sake of knowledge; the INTJ could just as well learn how the watch works in all the same ways the INTP would in uumlau's example, if learning how the watch works somehow fits into his larger goal -- his vision; the INTPs are more down to just learn for learning's sake, and that is, for the most part, their primary goal; likewise, the INTP could learn all about how the watch works in all the same ways Uumlau said the INTJ would, if that was one of the areas where he wanted to acquire knowledge; and remember: the INTJ could always choose as his primary goal the acquisition of knowledge (realistically, it would probably be subsumed under some other goal, but it would still be part of his total vision). I don't think the two need be interested in different topics...

:shrug:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, because I'm always three steps ahead of you.

What you described was being just one step ahead of somebody.

Only someone always three steps behind would have mistaken it for impressive.

prove it

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
2912236527_229f9762e2_o.jpg

You know INTx are complimentary types; by that they have "compatible strengths with opposite emphases" both will find you a logically concise and accurate answer and develop a complex interwoven case; sure the approach is different but the result would be the same.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
2912236527_229f9762e2_o.jpg

You know INTx are complimentary types; by that they have "compatible strengths with opposite emphases" both will find you a logically concise and accurate answer and develop a complex interwoven case; sure the approach is different but the result would be the same.

Some people would still argue that their "type" is better. It's a heliocentric point-of-view that they haven't learned to get rid of. Everything revolves around me and, therefore, my way of doing things must be the best. Pure silliness.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INTP's are less likely to influence the evidence. Their tendency towards precision and their lack of actually being attached to the information causes them get more accurate data, but the uncertainty that Ne causes will make it nigh impossible to get them to actually analyze data until they believe all the data has beeen obtained.

INTJ's are slightly more attached and interpret information when they receive it, but this constant interpretation will get them to an answer quicker and the tertiary function will allow them to believe that they have the right answer, giving them confidence in their research (Confidence in research is fundamental to good research).

I'm definitely more INTP going by that description.

The thing that comes to mind for me is that, IMO, INTJ's take a more proactive approach to trying to prove A, B, or C. They are forging forward and discovering new truths. They have theory A and so they set out to prove it. If they are able to prove it, then maybe it helps society or helps the situation they are in.

With INTP's, there is truth and then there is everything else. It's more of a passive approach in that we see the truth as something that is out there to be explored. We're not trying to change the truth or forge into new territory necessarily - we just want to understand truth as it is.

One reason that I think you see more INTJ's in Ph.D. programs than you do INTP's (I have no "proof" to claim this as true, but I believe it is) is because the INTJ has no problem choosing a subject they want to study and then forging forward and doing research in that area. In the process of choosing something to study the INTJ has, in essence, forsaken all the other areas of study. They can still have outside interests, but the bulk of their time will be spent in their subject.

The INTP doesn't want to (or has a hard time) choosing just one subject to explore because he wants to explore truth as a "whole". If I go get a Ph.D. in Physics, then I feel like I'm abandoning the arts, World History, Psychology, Business, Nutrition and Physical Education, spirituality, and everything else that encompasses "truth". I want to explore it all as a whole. I'm not interested in picking one of those things and making it "my own personal expertise". I want to be knowledgeable on all of it.

INTJ wants to uncover new truths in a given area - proactively advancing what we know as truth.

INTP wants to understand truth. It is what it is, we don't want to change it or manipulate it. We see it as unchangeable, and so we just want to understand it in all it's complexity.

I relate strongly to the INTP example again and not so much to the INTJ one. I know I could never pursue a Ph.D. degree because I just don't have the intensity of focus to apply myself in a relatively narrow area of interest over a long period of time.

Now in this example I relate far more to INTJ but I think that's because I've never been mechanically inclined. I don't really care how the watch works on a fundamental mechanical level. I just want it *to work*, to do the things it was designed to do. I don't care either about it super precise. If its within a couple of minutes from the actual time, it's good enough for me.

JDG26

MBTI Type
INTP
The thing that comes to mind for me is that, IMO, INTJ's take a more proactive approach to trying to prove A, B, or C. They are forging forward and discovering new truths. They have theory A and so they set out to prove it. If they are able to prove it, then maybe it helps society or helps the situation they are in.

With INTP's, there is truth and then there is everything else. It's more of a passive approach in that we see the truth as something that is out there to be explored. We're not trying to change the truth or forge into new territory necessarily - we just want to understand truth as it is.

One reason that I think you see more INTJ's in Ph.D. programs than you do INTP's (I have no "proof" to claim this as true, but I believe it is) is because the INTJ has no problem choosing a subject they want to study and then forging forward and doing research in that area. In the process of choosing something to study the INTJ has, in essence, forsaken all the other areas of study. They can still have outside interests, but the bulk of their time will be spent in their subject.

The INTP doesn't want to (or has a hard time) choosing just one subject to explore because he wants to explore truth as a "whole". If I go get a Ph.D. in Physics, then I feel like I'm abandoning the arts, World History, Psychology, Business, Nutrition and Physical Education, spirituality, and everything else that encompasses "truth". I want to explore it all as a whole. I'm not interested in picking one of those things and making it "my own personal expertise". I want to be knowledgeable on all of it.

INTJ wants to uncover new truths in a given area - proactively advancing what we know as truth.

INTP wants to understand truth. It is what it is, we don't want to change it or manipulate it. We see it as unchangeable, and so we just want to understand it in all it's complexity.

This is very perceptive, so true. INTJs are more prevalent in PhD programs than INTPs, particularly in the sciences. My advisor was an INTJ; he contributed much to my angst with INTJs (LOL).

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting. My advisor was likely INTP, and I quickly learned I had to handhold HIM when it came to decisions and deadlines. I never brought a problem to his attention without a short prioritized list of possible solutions, including relevant timelines and dependencies. I also soon ended up managing all the reporting for our grants/contracts. Groupmates who expected him to handhold them became quite frustrated, and wondered how I coped. It was actually all quite fun.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Interesting. My advisor was likely INTP, and I quickly learned I had to handhold HIM when it came to decisions and deadlines. I never brought a problem to his attention without a short prioritized list of possible solutions, including relevant timelines and dependencies. I also soon ended up managing all the reporting for our grants/contracts. Groupmates who expected him to handhold them became quite frustrated, and wondered how I coped. It was actually all quite fun.

Yeah, we're usually not trying to set the agenda for others. It's hard enough staying on our own agenda, let alone managing the agenda of 5 or 10 others. The approach that NTP's take to leadership is usually: I'm going to show you how to do it properly and/or make sure you get the right training. After that, you're expected to make it happen. Make yourself competent. When we are in a new position, we only expect people to give us "basic training" and then we want freedom and space to figure out the rest - to operate fairly autonomously. And so we kind of expect the same from others when they work for us.

I know an ENTP business owner who gets frustrated with his employees. He tells me, "I pay these people good freakin' money. Figure it out. Don't make me hold your hand. For what I'm paying you, you should be extremely competent and not need my guidance every 15 minutes." It's funny to watch, cuz he gets pretty heated about it.

NTP's have a very "hands-off" approach to managing others. We expect you to pick up your own slack and to function at a very high level. Sometimes it's good cuz people who like to work independently enjoy that freedom and total lack of micromanagement. Other times it's bad (really bad) cuz people come to us for guidance/leadership and we're like, "Why are you asking me? I have stuff to do. Figure it out!" And yeah, we're really bad with deadlines. If I don't keep a list, I forget stuff.