• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Cognitive Function Results - ENTPs

R

ReflecTcelfeR

You're Se skyrocketed! So do you go by preference then? Do you prefer Ne even though you perceive with Se more?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Everybody's Se is high in this test.

Yeah, I've been noticing this amongst a lot of Pe doms...

Both Ne and Se being rather high...

I find it peculiar...

Not sure if it's:

1. easier to switch been the Pe functions if they're in the dominant position
2. the test questions for these two functions are written poorly
3. people are just misunderstanding the test questions for some reason

I could actually see there being an argument for #1...

At least for me, intuitively, the Pe functions would seem easier to switch between than some of the other functions...

It'd be like "ok, I'm 'focusing on what's in front of me', and now I'm switching to 'exploring the possibilities presented by what's in front of me'"...

R

ReflecTcelfeR

It would be like "ok, I'm focusing on what's in front of me", and now I'm switching to "exploring the possibilities presented by what's in front of me"...

Before you can connect the surroundings you need to know what you're working with, which brings you to the present. However this could be explained by the extraverted aspect of Ne just as well as the entire Se function, which makes me think the test may be worded strange, or most people have learned to examine their surroundings as to make appropriate connections.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Before you can connect the surroundings you need to know what you're working with, which brings you to the present. However this could be explained by the extraverted aspect of Ne just as well as the entire Se function, which makes me think the test may be worded strange, or most people have learned to examine their surroundings as to make appropriate connections.

Agreed on both points.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, to me, they seem too similar to decipher, as one usually has to examine their surroundings before going on imagination tangents, which for the most part lead to ideas which were inspired or motivated by a realistic or tangible thing.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I think the proper way to decipher Se from Ne is to figure out if you try to connect your experiences, or if you let them exist as their own entity.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
If the test is correct then the MBTI is wrong. If the MBTI is right the test is incorrect.

Because the tertiary function of the ENTP is Si, not Se, and the third is Fe not Fi. If the tertiary function is Si, wouldn't Se be even less present ?
I usually don't really notice my 'surroundings' unless there's something interesting/different going on, from what would normally be going on.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
HTML:
You're seeing the theory break down here.

For most of the NTPs I've seen take this test, their Fi is higher than their Fe.

Shouldn't be that way according to strict MBTI function order...

...because everyone knows these kind of tests are totally accurate. Function tests should be used to gage what your top two (along with last) preferences are, not to determine your function order. The test told me I have more Se than Si, more Fi than Fe and more Ti than Ne but am an ENTP, personal research and introspection has told me only the conclusion is correct.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
If the test is correct then the MBTI is wrong. If the MBTI is right the test is incorrect.

Because the tertiary function of the ENTP is Si, not Se, and the third is Fe not Fi. If the tertiary function is Si, wouldn't Se be even less present ?
I usually don't really notice my 'surroundings' unless there's something interesting/different going on, from what would normally be going on.

From looking at different type's results, I've been noticing a general pattern:

The tertiary and inferior are often either in the third or fourth position, or they're in the 7th and 8th position.

With the NTPs, they tend to be in the 7th and 8th positions.

With the NTJs, they tend to be in the 3rd and 4th positions.

Not enough data on the other types yet, but I think tertiary/inferior Te and Si for the NFPs is often showing up in the 7th and 8th positions.

...because everyone knows these kind of tests are totally accurate. Function tests should be used to gage what your top two (along with last) preferences are, not to determine your function order. The test told me I have more Se than Si, more Fi than Fe and more Ti than Ne but am an ENTP, personal research and introspection has told me only the conclusion is correct.

So you'd prefer to believe in the rationalistic model, despite (admittedly imperfect) empirical evidence to the contrary?

That's very NTP of you...

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So you'd prefer to believe in the rationalistic model, despite (admittedly imperfect) empirical evidence to the contrary?

That's very NTP of you...

I prefer personal research and introspection. Tests are for those who rather not figure things out for themselves.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I prefer personal research and introspection. Tests are for those who rather not figure things out for themselves.

And how about when tests are used as a method of personal research and introspection?

And introspection as a method of taking tests?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
And how about when tests are used as a method of personal research and introspection?

And introspection as a method of taking tests?

Then I call that person lazy and take what they say with a grain of salt. Tests tell you how you answered the questions presented they do not validate the questions nor put them in the correct context. I mean HELLO, they're written by people who are just as flawed/biased as everyone else! And the more you delve into a theory the stronger your biases come.

Let's look at Se vs Si, in tests many Se based questions excite my Ne tendencies, they're all about jumping into action and enjoying change so I tend to score pretty high on just about every function test out there, thing is reading up on Se tells me in a matter of seconds it's not something I access easily, it takes conscious effort for me to engage in Se activities and there's next to nothing related with Se that I find easy, it just excites me. On the other hand Si often presents as traditional and safe in tests and as my dominant function despises those things I tend to score pretty low, Si just isn't my preference, however read up on Si and it is one of my strong support functions, if often causes issues for me but is definitely there.

It's a similar deal with Fe v Fi. Group think type behaviour offends my NTness, deciding something based on my own view/morals sounds better to me, if I answer tests honestly they'll both be pretty weak as I do not use them for decision making. Read up on the functions and I'm very clearly and strongly calling on Fe while Fi seems to contradict that for me in most situations so that hardly gets a look in.

I don't care about having set function order, blindly following that is a touch better than blindly considering a test accurate but either approach requires a person to use that as a base then view themselves as a whole and determine what functions they use. Ne-Ti-Fe-Si fits me just right so the theory proposed works for me, that doesn't reinforce it but presenting test results as evidence to the contrary does nothing to disprove it.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The test asks all of 48 questions to determine 8 values. Never mind whether the questions provoke the intended responses in the test takers, based on type, 6 questions per function is fairly limited, even though it has 5 values to choose from.

I think that the test is very useful for introducing function theory to those who are interested, and seeing how the scores size up as a matter of curiosity. I think that this particular test is decent, if not great, and help self-discovery to a degree. Also, its questions do more closely reflect the functions than standard MBTI tests, both official and unofficial. There is clearly a difference between Se and Si, for example, in the questions, and no generalized notions asking about introversion, extroversion or P vs J. As long as one takes the results with a grain of salt, and not definitive, it's remarkable how it usually conforms with the MBTI results. I'd be shocked if it matched MBTI exactly, since MBTI tests are known to be off 15-25% of the time, and to yield exactly the same errors would be highly unusual. Assuming the errors are totally independent, and this test has a similar error rate to other MBTI tests, the results should line up about 9/16 (62.5%) of the time.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

ENTP

Look at how Keirsey uses the four functions. Simply a division = in half.
12 - - - - 34

- - - - = 4
3 + 4 = 7
4 + 4 = 8
4/2 = 2

ENTP

Ne Ti Fe Si
Ne Ti - - - - Fe Si

Fe: 3 + 4 = 7
Si: 4 + 4 = 8

- - - - - - = 3 + 3 (in half)

1 + 3 = 4
8 - 3 = 5

in half

Ne - - - - - - Si
- - - Ni Se - - -

in half

- Ti - - - - Fe -
- - Te - - Fi - -

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Then I call that person lazy and take what they say with a grain of salt. Tests tell you how you answered the questions presented they do not validate the questions nor put them in the correct context. I mean HELLO, they're written by people who are just as flawed/biased as everyone else! And the more you delve into a theory the stronger your biases come.

Let's look at Se vs Si, in tests many Se based questions excite my Ne tendencies, they're all about jumping into action and enjoying change so I tend to score pretty high on just about every function test out there, thing is reading up on Se tells me in a matter of seconds it's not something I access easily, it takes conscious effort for me to engage in Se activities and there's next to nothing related with Se that I find easy, it just excites me. On the other hand Si often presents as traditional and safe in tests and as my dominant function despises those things I tend to score pretty low, Si just isn't my preference, however read up on Si and it is one of my strong support functions, if often causes issues for me but is definitely there.

It's a similar deal with Fe v Fi. Group think type behaviour offends my NTness, deciding something based on my own view/morals sounds better to me, if I answer tests honestly they'll both be pretty weak as I do not use them for decision making. Read up on the functions and I'm very clearly and strongly calling on Fe while Fi seems to contradict that for me in most situations so that hardly gets a look in.

I don't care about having set function order, blindly following that is a touch better than blindly considering a test accurate but either approach requires a person to use that as a base then view themselves as a whole and determine what functions they use. Ne-Ti-Fe-Si fits me just right so the theory proposed works for me, that doesn't reinforce it but presenting test results as evidence to the contrary does nothing to disprove it.

Sometimes tests are poorly written. Sometimes people take tests poorly. And sometimes it's a mixture of the two.

But to consider people lazy because they introspect when taking tests or use tests as a method of personal research and introspection is not only nonsensical, but it's, well... lazy.

It's one method amongst many to investigate this stuff, and it by no means need be one's only method.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
You're seeing the theory break down here.

For most of the NTPs I've seen take this test, their Fi is higher than their Fe.

Shouldn't be that way according to strict MBTI function order...

P introverts the rational function. Therefore with P, Fi is higher than Fe; Ti is higher than Te. With J it is vice versa. Especially according to strict MBTI function order.
Look at the first two functions of the eight Ps and the eights Js of the 16 types. What do you find there? Rules do not change in the middle of the chain of the order.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
P introverts the rational function. Therefore with P, Fi is higher than Fe; Ti is higher than Te. With J it is vice versa. Especially according to strict MBTI function order.

Well, yes, but only for the first rational function.

The second rational function is supposed to have the opposite attitude of the first.

I know Jung thought differently, but the currently dominant paradigm broke from what Jung said.

Look at the first two functions of the eight Ps and the eights Js of the 16 types. What do you find there? Rules do not change in the middle of the chain of the order.

Same as above...

I mean, under the rules you're propounding, INTJs would have higher Fe than Fi, and trust me, if you go over to that thread, it is not the case by any means...

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
There are mine:
Ne (excellent) > Ti (excellent) > Te (good) > Fi (average) > Fe (average) > Si = Se (average) > Ni (limited).

Why do I now get visions of a gloating Te?
And that Ni is not my weakest. That one is able to keep me awake at night with all sorts of disaster scenarios. I just don't trust it. Too pessimistic.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, yes, but only for the first rational function.

The second rational function is supposed to have the opposite attitude of the first.

I know Jung thought differently, but the currently dominant paradigm broke from what Jung said.

Same as above...

I mean, under the rules you're propounding, INTJs would have higher Fe than Fi, and trust me, if you go over to that thread, it is not the case by any means...

Thanks for the wink.