• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] I keep getting INTP...

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is a difference of dealing with emotions internally and extrovert them. A robot is indifferent. I won't assign that quality to Js.

Better watch out!

250px-Killbotds.jpg

A

A window to the soul

A

A window to the soul

First, thanks for the replies. I never thought I'd get a response so quickly!

1. I usually base it on fact; however, depending on the situation I always feel rude or guilty when making a decision conflicting with friends and family.

2. Male; that may be the case, too.

Interesting....that's how I feel whenever I see a person being really emotional [crying, yelling, singing, etc.] to me or around me. I have trouble saying "I l*ve you" to people, too.

For the T's out there, do you guys often ask for second opinions? I tend to do that because I love having options (my lovely "P"), but deep inside, I kind of already know what I want.

I sometimes get second opinions from people I admire and trust; such as, my Dad. Usually I've already made myself an expert in whatever it is I'm doing, before I do it. For example, car shopping, I'll not only know the ins and outs of the current year model, but I'll also understand the history. I'll 'play dumb' and ask the salesman questions that I already know the answers to. This helps me determine if I can trust him with the questions that I don't know the answers to.

This 'playing dumb' style of interaction is very natural for me. I do this with strangers I interact with; including online. It allows me to understand where people are at intellectually and even emotionally. I like when the questions are reciprocated too because it can be a sign that the other person is more logical (requiring some data input); rather than, a feeler (going with their gut). Anyway, that's my theory.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can you explain this more?
In the new groups Keirsey introduced in Portraits of Temperament:
Role-informative: NFP, NTP, SFJ, SFP; Role directive: STJ, STP, NTJ, NFJ.
By dividing them by I/E, you get the four Interaction Styles of Linda Berens: Chart the Course (introverted, directive): IST/INJ, Behind the Scenes (introverted, informative): ISF/INP, In Charge (extraverted, directive): EST/ENJ, and Get Things Going (extraverted, informative): ESF/ENP.

In these groups, notice that Directive/Informative ends up being distinguished by T/F for the S's, and J/P for the N's.
Where on the S side, all T's end up as directive while F is informative, on the N side, the P makes the type informative even if it is a T. Informative is people(rather than task)-oriented and thus softer and a bit more accepting of others. This is often associated with F behavior, so then NTP's might seem a bit like F's in that respect, adding to the ambiguity a lot of NP seekers often face.

sleepy

By dividing them by I/E, you get the four Interaction Styles of Linda Berens: Chart the Course (introverted, directive): IST/INJ, Behind the Scenes (introverted, informative): ISF/INP, In Charge (extraverted, directive): EST/ENJ, and Get Things Going (extraverted, informative): ESF/ENP.

In these groups, notice that Directive/Informative ends up being distinguished by T/F for the S's, and J/P for the N's.
Where on the S side, all T's end up as directive while F is informative, on the N side, the P makes the type informative even if it is a T. Informative is people(rather than task)-oriented and thus softer and a bit more accepting of others. This is often associated with F behavior, so then NTP's might seem a bit like F's in that respect, adding to the ambiguity a lot of NP seekers often face.
Why don't you try to think of something new yourself?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why do you need something new right now? It's a good explanation that explains the T/F uncertainty people like this face.
(What's "new" in this is the way I use it to express the types as social/leadership temperament blends).

Unique

Yes there is. I am an XXXX, all types and non. At the same time. How is that for a paradox? Please don't ask me what it's like.

You're an INFP. An INTP is primarly a truth seeker. It's not that INTPs don't take peoples feelings into consideration. It's just that in the greater scheme of things it's more important to state the truth. People will have to deal with emotional difficulties on their own. It's not the responsibility of the INTP.

Wrong. There is no such thing as XXXX

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/mbti-tm-other-personality-matrices/37355-unique-mbti-faq.html

Unique

Oh and OP going off the information you provided I would type you as INFP

KDude

It's usually about the 10th time someone gets INTP on a test that they break down, hit a mental wall, lay around for a few days, reject MBTI, then put INTP in their profile type.

I'm at about 7 or 8. Plus that damn somatotype guy everyone chased off awhile back typed me as INTP. So 9. I'm just about to smack the wall.

Neutralpov

I also don't know if this classification is wholly accurate. I am an ENJ so "in charge" and that makes me task oriented by definition but in life I am people oriented. Especially good at being task and people oriented ha? (Is that a possiblity.. :hifive:)

Neutralpov

Oh and I vote INFP for the original poster. I heard feeling speak and it perked my ears

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
For what it's worth, I tested INTP in high school and early college.

I test somewhat evenly on the E/I spectrum, and am most firmly N. I'm also close to the F/T divide as well, but consistently test F. While I am very J in that I like to have firm, detailed plans at least a week in advance, I'm capable of being spontaneous. As long as it's planned spontaneity. ;)

sleepy

Why do you need something new right now? It's a good explanation that explains the T/F uncertainty people like this face.
(What's "new" in this is the way I use it to express the types as social/leadership temperament blends).
What if someone does all the 4 directions simultaneously? Or just chills, and do non. Why do you focus on the preference? Do most people follow their preference? What if they don't?

I see your point. And after those 4 directions it's a good explanation. But it's simplified to such a degree that it is close to useless imo. And expecting someone to follow such a pattern is prone to failure. Creating more communication difficulties then if one keeps an open mind.
You are right in that I am not a thing.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also don't know if this classification is wholly accurate. I am an ENJ so "in charge" and that makes me task oriented by definition but in life I am people oriented. Especially good at being task and people oriented ha? (Is that a possiblity.. :hifive:)
You're probably thinking of the extroversion as "people" focus.
But affective temperament is based on both "expressiveness" and "responsiveness". The first one tells us how we approach others, or what we "SAY" we want from interaction. The other tells us how we "respond" to others, or what we REALLY want. Hence, the true "people vs task" orientation lies in informing/directing rather than E/I.

What if someone does all the 4 directions simultaneously? Or just chills, and do non. Why do you focus on the preference? Do most people follow their preference? What if they don't?

I see your point. And after those 4 directions it's a good explanation. But it's simplified to such a degree that it is close to useless imo. And expecting someone to follow such a pattern is prone to failure. Creating more communication difficulties then if one keeps an open mind.
People might do all four, but still, type indicates that there is one they actually prefer (however slightly).

Scorquendo

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, I've taken all of your opinions into account, did some more research, and took the test ten/twenty-fold more, lol, and I have come to conclusion of being an "INTP." I spent hours trying to figure this out and taking the tests one question at a time, trying to apply it to different scenarios, and I got this:

Myers Briggs Test Result #I've lost count

Introverted (I) 72.73% Extroverted (E) 27.27%
Intuitive (N) 75.76% Sensing (S) 24.24%
Thinking (T) 55.56% Feeling (F) 44.44%
Perceiving (P) 62.86% Judging (J) 37.14%

As one can see, the percentages of my T over F is very narrow which might explain the discrepancies.

Throughout childhood, I've been pretty INFP (at least imo), but as I've gotten older and I've come to appreciate objective reasoning and consistency over emotions, which I do have serious trouble emitting and empathizing. I'm barely into young adulthood, so I suppose my personality is still changing, but after reading many threads, watching videos, and doing private research on INTPs/FPs/everybody else, I really relate more to the NTs (whom I had always thought were boring vs. NFs).

Thanks for the replies.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can identify with that last part as well, which made it difficult for me to completely figure as well for awhile.

Since I believe NT is a temperament known in another system as "Choleric in Control" (http://www.pastoral-counseling-center.org/Temperament-Area-of-Control/choleric-control.htm), it seems to be more of something that becomes more apparent when we get older and naturally independent (and more able to meet our need for mastery). So our objective reasoning preference comes to the front.
When we are younger it is our sociability temperament (IP) or Interaction Style (INP) that is more evident (Likely one of these:
http://www.pastoral-counseling-center.org/Temperament-Area-of-Inclusion/supine-inclusion.htm
http://www.pastoral-counseling-center.org/Temperament-Area-of-Inclusion/phlegmatic-inclusion.htm)