• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Talking on the phone

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's probably an introvert thing, though Tawanda's case is probably related to auditory or neurological issues rather than type. you should get that checked out babe.

Or that everyone mumbles on the phone. :)
Some words just sound very similar via phone calls. :shrug:

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I really dislike calling places and talking to people who I have not met before or are not on good terms with. For instance, I refuse ....REFUSE...to call the doctor's office. As I am now in college, I had to find a way to still make appointments that could not be made via email -- my solution? My roommate! :D

I just really despise phone calls, and will put off calling people back who I'm not very friendly with or pawn it off.
However, with friends and loved ones or people I actually want to talk to, I'm sure I get quite abrasive because dammit if I call you, you better pick up or call back in a jiffy, Bahaha.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I hate the phone, too. The only time I prefer the phone is if I have something to tell you that's time sensitive and I'm too lazy to text it all out. Or if I know there will be follow up questions. Better to just get it out of the way.

I have a few friends that I don't see very often who vastly prefer phone to email, and I just dread them calling because even though I like to hear from them, I know it's going to be at least an hour, and I know we're going to dredge up everything that's happened since the last time we talked, and it feels like blowing out a tire on the interstate when you were headed somewhere important. Time just stops, and you know you're stuck there for the forseeable future, so you might as well just settle in for a while, b/c you're not making it to where you were headed anytime soon. Phone people always have the worst timing.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've always hated the phone from a young age. If a get a call, I avoid picking up unless it's urgent and I am not much of a texting fan either. Calling is just generally an awkward experience for me. I have trouble with language processing as well as getting together what I'm going to say on the spot. I also need a lot of alone time and phone calls feel like an invasion of my alone time. I prefer texting over calling though it I have to choose one or the other.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It feels oddly intimate in a way I don't like. Would rather speak in person than hold your voice to my ear.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Really? Is it that bad? It's so much more personal then text and you can get tone, mood, vibe right away..
It feels oddly intimate in a way I don't like. Would rather speak in person than hold your voice to my ear.
I get this reasoning...but I'm still baffled at the strong dislike for the phone!!

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
With certain people, I can talk for hours and hours and hours and hours...

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Really? Is it that bad? It's so much more personal then text and you can get tone, mood, vibe right away..

I get this reasoning...but I'm still baffled at the strong dislike for the phone!!
I am not. In fact I share it, quite strongly. I will do much to avoid using the phone, and must take time to gather my thoughts before even the simplest conversations.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
I am not. In fact I share it, quite strongly. I will do much to avoid using the phone, and must take time to gather my thoughts before even the simplest conversations.
Without any presumption ofr pressure. I genuinely want to understand why ..
for me the phone convo is crucial I can hear you , begin to put you together in my mind , I want to understand you... however I am now realizing 95 % of the world does not want to hear another person on the other line.

Mole

Permabanned

Yeah, I talk for an hour twice a week with my sister. And her daughter tells me my sister enjoys our conversations.

And interestingly, this is what we do here - we engage in conversation, we post and reply in electronic text with the phonetic alphabet.

Across the internet it is noted, that the anonymous with no social accountability, take the opportunity to act out on others, the abuse or control they have suffered at home.

Unfortunately, we don't provide therapy so all this acting out goes without professional interpretation.

Mole

Permabanned
Media are extension of our senses.

Print is an extension of the eye, and the phone is an extension of the ear.

Print has given us the literate individual, while the phone, and all electronic media, gives as electronic tribes in the global village.

No doubt, those who hate the phone are literate individuals, who know in their bones that etribes are replacing the literal individual.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I talk for an hour twice a week with my sister. And her daughter tells me my sister enjoys our conversations.

And interestingly, this is what we do here - we engage in conversation, we post and reply in electronic text with the phonetic alphabet.

Across the internet it is noted, that the anonymous with no social accountability, take the opportunity to act out on others, the abuse or control they have suffered at home.

Unfortunately, we don't provide therapy so all this acting out goes without professional interpretation.

Please do not quote me.

You clearly didn't read the spoiler, eh?

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i usually avoid phone calls... more so when i am not expecting them... if i almost never speak to someone in audio, it can be okay to talk for a shortish time.. now and then i can be on the phone a long time, but generally it is because someone is upset...

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Unless I take the initiative to call someone (especially if it’s someone I like), I feel anxious about talking over the phone... I dread receiving calls because of the anxiety it sometimes causes me...

I answered earlier but I do wish to clarify that I do enjoy phone conversations- with someone I care about and haven’t talked to in a while. I also enjoy face to face conversations with those I find important to me. I most definitely appreciate hearing my girlfriend’s voice. Those are the exceptions. For the most part, the rest of the world can remain on mute mode for all I care.

So strangers, or people I’m about to see shortly anyway, and those that leave me to listen to as much silence or breathing as actual interaction can email or text me. It’s straight to the point communication- a distillation of the encounter minus the unnecessary pauses, starts, stops, and general interruptions that occur during a phone call. It’s fantastic. Also, I find I’m much better at communicating through the written word.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
I answered earlier but I do wish to clarify that I do enjoy phone conversations- with someone I care about and haven't talked to in a while. I also enjoy face to face conversations with those I find important to me. I most definitely appreciate hearing my girlfriend's voice. Those are the exceptions. For the most part, the rest of the world can remain on mute mode for all I care. So strangers, or people I'm about to see shortly anyway, and those that leave me to listen to as much silence or breathing as actual interaction can email or text me. It's straight to the point communication- a distillation of the encounter minus the unnecessary pauses, starts, stops, and general interruptions that occur during a phone call. It's fantastic. Also, I find I'm much better at communicating through the written word.
Lol I forgot about phone breathers ewwww.. but I haven't encountered that in Such a long time. Recently the thing that I enjoy the most about talking to people on the phone is the pure surprise people seem to experience that someone is on the other line.. it's almost old school communication. I also enjoy listening to people try to fill awkward silence but I'm aware that is weird and slightly wrong.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram

Yep.
I remember talking to someone a long time ago for 17 hours straight.

With some people, I just go straight to the point and finish the conversation, while with others, I don't even bother picking up and I would often tell them to leave me a message if I don't.

Everyone knows where they stand when it concerns me.