• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] How to stop procrastinating?

downtherabbithole

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I need incentive to get over the procrastination hurdle, and honestly what usually kills me is doubt that the effort matters or that I can accomplish whatever goal to my level of utter perfection (so why bother trying). My mind latches onto some small detail and distorts it to the point of oblivion, even if not directly related, as far as connecting it to more big picture goals I want to move toward. My consciousness is very much a series of spiderwebs and maps.

Honestly - I would suggest meditation, or mindfulness rather. If in do nothing procrastination zone when you want to get things done, ask yourself why, try to write out why or what's occupying your mind... usually if I do this, I come to a point fairly quickly where I will contradict myself, edit myself for clarity, get annoyed with myself, and realize I'm being stupid. If I actually take that prompt, realize what my brain is doing, and actively tell myself to fuck off - effectively blocking my brain from making that error with awareness of my brain making that error - I can get out of the cycle, if only temporarily. It does feel a lot better to *do*, though. INTP types, however, have to be in the "right zone" to *do*, have a reason to *do* for themselves (someone telling us what to do shuts us down hardcore), otherwise it "doesn't feel right" (which really just means "I need to come to this conclusion on my own"). It's not that we can't. Might take some extra effort, but free form spewing following by thought organizing usually gets me sufficiently annoyed with myself and seeing clearly enough to make a plan and motivate myself to implement it (regarding already realized goals) - it just has to be my choice on my timeline.

Don't do that because I told you to, though. ;) It is the only reason I managed to go back to school for physics and keep myself set on some lofty goals, however. Even if the process seems crazy, results matter.

ChimericalSerenity

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to struggle with procrastination a lot when I was a bit younger, particularly in high school. I think the most important aspect is to not lose sight of what you want to achieve. Without an end goal in mind its so easy to just wander off and start dabbling in other things. Balance is good; you just have to remember to delineate what time you have to put into work and when you chill.

j.c.t.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The best way to stop procrastinating is to go through something harsher than daily life of which you have no control. My father did national service when he was my age and only has positive things to say about it. INTP's need so much tough love.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Meh, this task is easier said than done. While I myself am crazy about time management, when I get into stress mode, procrastination mode ensues. One things it, to take what you need to do and break it down into steps. Try to think of aspects of the task you find interesting and focus on that. Also, focus on things you want to do if you are putting stuff off.

Do what is more of an emergency first and save other things until later. Tell yourself that once you finish what you need to do, that you can do what you want. The task will not last forever after all (though sometimes with boring things, time can be a real jerkwad.) Either this or break down long tasks into simpler steps. Think about the consequences of what will happen if there are any if you don't get what you need to do done.