• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ti] I'd like some input from Ti users.

daftpunkcrunk

Hey guys, I was curious to know how xxTP minds work when using the introverted thinking function. If an introverted feeler user wanted to develop his or her Ti, what exercises can he or she do to strengthen the function? Activities such as crosswords, rubik cubes, geometry, etc...

And also, I've been curious on how Fi and Ti differ from each other. I tend to always be in doubt of what people say. It's hard for me to apply judgement to a person's view because I think that there's an off chance that the person might be right. For example, if someone was to claim that magnesium helped alleviate muscle pain, I wouldn't know whether to dismiss it as right or wrong since I am unknowledgable in the subject.

I've read that Ti users tend to gravitate towards their own logical reasoning. When making decisions, do you tend to weigh out the pros and cons of the situation? And if you do, wouldn't that be considered using Te since it's an outward expression of thinking in a tangible, written form (charts, graphs, lists, pros and cons etc)? And also, as a Ti user, have you or do you get the conception that society is 'fake'? If so, what is your definition of 'fake' and how does it qualify?

I find Ti users fascinating and I'm interested in seeing in more detail how Ti and Fi would differ. I would love to hear some input from you guys.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
P#1: Since natural Ti users never had to "make themselves develop Ti," you're kinda on your own intuition here on what might work for you. Honestly, to me, it's more about being detached and perceiving a standardizes set of values (including cause and effect) that govern the world around you, instead of applying your own moral logic. You should be going more for a sense of what is correct vs incorrect, rather than right vs wrong. The laws of physics are very Ti, for example; as well as other laws/principles that govern the world at large. Those laws seem to accurate describe reality, regardless of who is viewing them or applying them.

P#2: That's fine to admit when you are unknowledgeable. In fact, Ti would demand that you acknowledge holes/ambiguities in your logic. You need to identify the boundaries of your perception clearly and state all assumptions up front. That's what INTPs do: Bound information. Once you define the limits your knowledge, anything within your knowledge area can be spoken about and modeled accurately going by observed principles. If I am discussing things with someone who is an expert in an area that I am not in terms of raw information, I usually just ask more questions, and the only things I challenge them on are logical errors / reasoning errors, rather than errors that might be based on details I have no idea of knowing are true or not.

P#3: Yes, I use a pro's and con's list; and no, not necessarily Te. The pro's and con's list is based on reasoning principles and is usually more conceptual in nature. There's usually fuzzy logic and maybe even induction involved. For the second part, society is "fake" in the sense that it is a construct -- just like the Matrix. It's a bunch of agreed-upon social rules that enables a group to function... maybe. If I bitch about society's rules, it usually because I don't think the rule(s) properly reflects reality and actually is inefficient, causes negative outcomes, or hurts people more than helps them. I can appreciate social rules that seem to serve a rational/useful purpose and make interaction more efficient, grants the individual autonomy/freedom, etc.

Usually I think Fi is different in the same way people have been distinguishing it from Fe: It differs from person to person and is built off the moral sense of right/wrong and what is important/unimportant to the Fi user / personal Fi values. Ti is far more universal; you get a bunch of INTPs in a room and typically they're agree about the reasoning process used (the "rational values" are the same), and usually disagreement occurs because one person's assumptions that bound the argument are different from another person's.

daftpunkcrunk

Thank you, that was very in depth and interesting to read.

I think I understand what you mean by having a set of values. Could you expand on that and give some examples? (like cause and effect) Also, when you talk about going for what is correct vs incorrect, what if there is a logical inconsistency in someone's explanation, although the majority of it seemed correct. Would you then proceed to writing off the whole thing as 'incorrect' and choose to believe nothing or would you try and separate what is right and wrong and believe what makes sense to you? For example, I'm in philosophy class and learning about differing philosophies of different philosophers. My view on philosophies is that everyone has a portion of truth to what they teach but it applies in different situations in different people. Therefore I refuse to believe in a certain criteria of a philosophy and am very accepting of whatever philosophy a person will believe in. Would a person using Ti latch onto one philosophy and search for incongruence until something better comes a long? Or would you create your own system of philosophy and compare it to others?

I agree with what you wrote in the third paragraph. It seems that society's rules is based on the consensus of the majority and in today's world being independent and efficient is a minority.

Another question... one big difference that I see between Ti users and myself is at the time of stress. For example, when I am depressed or in a drained mood, I have a very strong compulsion to be comforted. I can be generalizing here but do you think this behavior will be more susceptible to Fi users than Ti? My guess on how Ti users would differ is that they would see their problem in an objective view, taking in differing perspectives, and arriving at a conclusion to do what is necessary to solve the problem if possible.

To be blunt, I am interested in knowing how to develop Ti since it seems to be similar to how my cognitive therapist is suggesting to solve my issues.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You'd likely have more luck asking people of the same type as you how to develop and understand Ti. Ti-doms don't tend to spend much time thinking about that.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I understand what you mean by having a set of values. Could you expand on that and give some examples? (like cause and effect)
I don't really have time to do that the justice it would deserve. Basically we get a sense of "how something works" just like that book "The Way Things Work" by David MacCauley (at least, I do). Except it just doesn't have to be machines, it can be people, social systems, economic systems, religious theology, whatever... big-picture cohesive function based on observation as well as rational theory. This is how we so easily recognize inconsistencies in underlying principles.

Also, when you talk about going for what is correct vs incorrect, what if there is a logical inconsistency in someone's explanation, although the majority of it seemed correct. Would you then proceed to writing off the whole thing as 'incorrect' and choose to believe nothing or would you try and separate what is right and wrong and believe what makes sense to you?
It depends on the person. I find it more useful to acknowledge the coherent parts of a model (whether it's a theory, person, machine, system, or whatever), as well as to highlight specifically what the flaw(s) is, and then envision (sometimes without even trying) what that flaw could be replaced with to make the whole thing consistent again. I think to reject an entire system just because it's flawed is kind of immature and unrealistic, you won't get far in life if you're that rigid; instead, recognize the flaws and then compensate for them / avoid them.
So you can learn from any flawed thing, as long as you can label the "flawed part" as such and just take the good stuff.
For example, I'm in philosophy class and learning about differing philosophies of different philosophers. My view on philosophies is that everyone has a portion of truth to what they teach but it applies in different situations in different people.
To quibble, I would not say that everyone has a portion of the truth, someone is capable of being ENTIRELY wrong... but -- going along with your point -- no one is capable of being ENTIRELY right. So I would take the good parts and see if I can integrate them in some way to make a universal model better.
Therefore I refuse to believe in a certain criteria of a philosophy and am very accepting of whatever philosophy a person will believe in.
Well, once we get into philosophy in that sense, it's almost starting to sound spiritual/religious... at that point, whatever people want to believe is their own business. I can still criticize the rationale of the belief, but people are permitted to believe whatever want, however coherent or however incoherent. So it sounds like we both have the same response, but I think our motivations are a little different.

Would a person using Ti latch onto one philosophy and search for incongruence until something better comes a long? Or would you create your own system of philosophy and compare it to others?

That is a personal preference. However, INTPs are typically model builders i.e., architects by nature, so it's not far-fetched for the latter to occur naturally. ISTPs are more hands-on and would rather act according to a coherent model than sit around and define/speculate the model like the INTP would. (So one is more "think it" and the other is more "live it.")

I agree with what you wrote in the third paragraph. It seems that society's rules is based on the consensus of the majority and in today's world being independent and efficient is a minority.
I see that as unavoidable for big systems with no established/protective bondaries. The more complex a model becomes, and the less that one vision can direct it, the more ineffecient/muddled it's going to become regardless of good rationale or intent.

Another question... one big difference that I see between Ti users and myself is at the time of stress. For example, when I am depressed or in a drained mood, I have a very strong compulsion to be comforted.
What do you mean by comforted?
I can be generalizing here but do you think this behavior will be more susceptible to Fi users than Ti? My guess on how Ti users would differ is that they would see their problem in an objective view, taking in differing perspectives, and arriving at a conclusion to do what is necessary to solve the problem if possible.
ISTP might want to "solve it," INTP wants to "understand it" but otherwise might not feel the need to "fix" anything.

To be blunt, I am interested in knowing how to develop Ti since it seems to be similar to how my cognitive therapist is suggesting to solve my issues. ]
Oh, CBT? Yeah, I would consider that a therapeutic style that is very "T" in nature. You basically decide what healthy/productive behavior would look like (i.e., behavior that accomplishes your stated goals), then determine how to behave until you get there. You also detach from your current behavior and emotions in the process. You don't really need to dive into the feelings and understand them completely or resolve them, the goal is on producing functioning behavior that accomplishes your aims.

R

Riva

Ti is a pain in the ass believe me. It makes you want to analyze, scrutinize and categorize every ounce of information which crosses your mind, what you see or what you hear.

Pain in the ass.

It gives the impression that you think too much. xxTPs don't think too much at all. (Especially in IxTP's) Ti makes one wants to put every thing in order in it's head.

urghh!

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Both Nardi's 8 Keys To Self-Leadership, and Hartzler's Functions of Type give "exercises" to "develop" each of the functions. These generally involve practicing the actions or ways of thinking associated with each.

Those may help in a way, but I really don't think it's so much about developing skills in such a conscious way. If you prefer Fi, then Ti is something suppressed from consciousness, or more specifically, Thinking is rejected from your internal world, but accepted in a limited basis in your external world. So it's not something you just up and say "OK; I want to learn to do this more". It's a perspective you tend to naturally avoid, but life experiences may bring it more into consciousness.

Plus the fact that functions can be expressed in terms of "products" (the skills or behaviors everyone talks about) that can be engaged by everyone, as long as it is in harmony with the ego. This is called an "undifferentiated" state. So you can learn to engage those skills more (and those two books would be good for that), but you don't have to think of it as "using" such a totally rejected function more.

daftpunkcrunk

I don't really have time to do that the justice it would deserve. Basically we get a sense of "how something works" just like that book "The Way Things Work" by David MacCauley (at least, I do). Except it just doesn't have to be machines, it can be people, social systems, economic systems, religious theology, whatever... big-picture cohesive function based on observation as well as rational theory. This is how we so easily recognize inconsistencies in underlying principles.

It depends on the person. I find it more useful to acknowledge the coherent parts of a model (whether it's a theory, person, machine, system, or whatever), as well as to highlight specifically what the flaw(s) is, and then envision (sometimes without even trying) what that flaw could be replaced with to make the whole thing consistent again. I think to reject an entire system just because it's flawed is kind of immature and unrealistic, you won't get far in life if you're that rigid; instead, recognize the flaws and then compensate for them / avoid them.
So you can learn from any flawed thing, as long as you can label the "flawed part" as such and just take the good stuff.

Interesting. I think Fi's would differ in that things don't have to be as congruent when applied to their system of belief. For me, I will look at a part and just have a feeling that this is somehow related and there is a grain of truth somewhere buried deep there... then again this might be my Ne working and my secondary function failing to catch up.

To quibble, I would not say that everyone has a portion of the truth, someone is capable of being ENTIRELY wrong... but -- going along with your point -- no one is capable of being ENTIRELY right. So I would take the good parts and see if I can integrate them in some way to make a universal model better.

I think Fi users will tend to rather accept many differing 'truths' especially when it comes to personal beliefs so they themselves have such strong values they hold to themselves that usually are different from society. They are less tended to construct their system with logical congruencies as Ti users seem to do as they seem to be more accepting of even what may seem to be illogical incongruencies, since feelings themselves may be illogical at times.

Well, once we get into philosophy in that sense, it's almost starting to sound spiritual/religious... at that point, whatever people want to believe is their own business. I can still criticize the rationale of the belief, but people are permitted to believe whatever want, however coherent or however incoherent. So it sounds like we both have the same response, but I think our motivations are a little different.

Right, I think a Fi user motivation would be self-acceptance of other people's beliefs as an external desire for others to be accept them as well. Kinda like the Golden Rule. A Ti user, from what I deduce reading what you wrote, will accept differing views of philosophy because spirituality/religion are not logical at all in their essence. Therefore on subjects where logic and rationality cannot apply, you will dismiss your opinion on such a subject.

That is a personal preference. However, INTPs are typically model builders i.e., architects by nature, so it's not far-fetched for the latter to occur naturally. ISTPs are more hands-on and would rather act according to a coherent model than sit around and define/speculate the model like the INTP would. (So one is more "think it" and the other is more "live it.")
I think you have a valid point. This highlights the importance from the secondary function (Se vs Ne) and just how much they would make even users who share the same first function of Ti very different.

I see that as unavoidable for big systems with no established/protective bondaries. The more complex a model becomes, and the less that one vision can direct it, the more ineffecient/muddled it's going to become regardless of good rationale or intent.
I think people have a tendency to try and instinctually break down complex things. This can be seen in how we will use the subconsciousness to ride a bike without having to consciously think about it or how we thrive on things that will make things easier, faster, more efficient, etc. So when people approach a complex society/government, they will approach at it with a subjective view and utilize the system to make it easier for themselves. Since sensors seem to make up most of the majority (I believe the estimates were around 65~75%), the system is changed, developed, and suited easier for Sensors. A system, no matter how objective and complex, will eventually break down into something more suited for the majority in order to gain efficiency.

What do you mean by comforted?
:blush: I guess it means I want some ENFJ momma lovin'.

ISTP might want to "solve it," INTP wants to "understand it" but otherwise might not feel the need to "fix" anything.
Agreed.

Oh, CBT? Yeah, I would consider that a therapeutic style that is very "T" in nature. You basically decide what healthy/productive behavior would look like (i.e., behavior that accomplishes your stated goals), then determine how to behave until you get there. You also detach from your current behavior and emotions in the process. You don't really need to dive into the feelings and understand them completely or resolve them, the goal is on producing functioning behavior that accomplishes your aims.
Right, and the current progress I've made so far with the changed mindset is amazing. I think that developing that kind of thinking (although I'm still quite far from achieving) has a lot of potential and is just what I need. However, due to my Fi nature, I almost have an incessant need to understand my feelings and make sure I have complete control until I can move on. Unfortunately, this leads to me rather brooding over my emotions and not getting any thinking done. Hopefully, maybe, exercising my Ti function can help with this.

Both Nardi's 8 Keys To Self-Leadership, and Hartzler's Functions of Type give "exercises" to "develop" each of the functions. These generally involve practicing the actions or ways of thinking associated with each.

Those may help in a way, but I really don't think it's so much about developing skills in such a conscious way. If you prefer Fi, then Ti is something suppressed from consciousness, or more specifically, Thinking is rejected from your internal world, but accepted in a limited basis in your external world. So it's not something you just up and say "OK; I want to learn to do this more". It's a perspective you tend to naturally avoid, but life experiences may bring it more into consciousness.
I'm trying to use Ti and yes, it does seem to take conscious effort to use. When I am using Ti, I have to make sure that I am going step by step and I will constantly question my thoughts to determine if I am using another function. It does get very tiring but then again, I just started so I'm sure it's going to get easier as time goes on.
Plus the fact that functions can be expressed in terms of "products" (the skills or behaviors everyone talks about) that can be engaged by everyone, as long as it is in harmony with the ego. This is called an "undifferentiated" state. So you can learn to engage those skills more (and those two books would be good for that), but you don't have to think of it as "using" such a totally rejected function more.
Thank you for the book titles, I'll be sure to check them out.

^

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hey guys, I was curious to know how xxTP minds work when using the introverted thinking function. If an introverted feeler user wanted to develop his or her Ti, what exercises can he or she do to strengthen the function? Activities such as crosswords, rubik cubes, geometry, etc...

And also, I've been curious on how Fi and Ti differ from each other. I tend to always be in doubt of what people say. It's hard for me to apply judgement to a person's view because I think that there's an off chance that the person might be right. For example, if someone was to claim that magnesium helped alleviate muscle pain, I wouldn't know whether to dismiss it as right or wrong since I am unknowledgable in the subject.

I've read that Ti users tend to gravitate towards their own logical reasoning. When making decisions, do you tend to weigh out the pros and cons of the situation? And if you do, wouldn't that be considered using Te since it's an outward expression of thinking in a tangible, written form (charts, graphs, lists, pros and cons etc)? And also, as a Ti user, have you or do you get the conception that society is 'fake'? If so, what is your definition of 'fake' and how does it qualify?

I find Ti users fascinating and I'm interested in seeing in more detail how Ti and Fi would differ. I would love to hear some input from you guys.

It's hard to develop a function if you barely use it. You are naturally inclined to use specific functions, without doing effort. Why would anyone put effort into behaving unnatural?
I think the main difference between Ti and Fi is Objectivity/Subjectivity.
I didn't really look into STP, so I'm talking more about the NTP.
It's all about finding the rational truth, governed by laws and that makes perfect sense. See... I get very pissed off when people say things that don't make any sense.
For instance, a friend started talking to me about signs. As in, you have a dream and consider it a sign that something will happen in the future, etc. Pure bullshit.
He is Fe dominant. He also talks about spirits, God, and other things that piss me off. Not doing specific things in a specific day, because God forbids them also ...bullshit.
Things must make 100% sense, not 50%, not 70%, you need to know exactly how and what.
I also observed that NTPs doubt things, it may be Ti related I do not know for sure.

For instance, you have a concept. Seemed bulletproof. But you doubt it, you deconstruct it, and reconstruct it, to see if you end up where you started from.
Ti is all about wondering about all sorts of crap, why is this that why is that that, why does this fit here and not there, it's also about patterns and logic.
I don't know if the pattern seeking thing is 100% Ti, or it's because of the NT combination, but it is present.

You seek patterns in people, wonder why they do the things they do, try to see the cycle of things. To make some mental order of the apparent chaos that you see outside.

Ti users often leave the impression that they think too much...I've heard that a lot. But you can't help it...why should you be satisfied with partial stuff, instead of knowing the whole?????

I actually like the Ti functon, but, I'm not Ti dominant so...

Anyway, this is Ti, I haven't talked about Fi, because I don't wanna talk crap. I know much more about Ti than Fi.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also CBT is pretty much like Ti.
However by developing Ti, you won't get rid of your issues.
INTPs also get depressed etc, and they're Ti dom. You should confront your stuff in your own NATURAL way . : )

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
What Jennifer said.

But also, for me, i think of Ti like a computer program that is always scanning data for flaws, looking around, gathering more data, and more scanning, as a refining process. It's just constant scrutiny, in the absence of personal values (unless they're important to that situation).

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I love crossword puzzles. Do one a day. I don't know if that has anything to do with Ti though.

If I was you in the example you just gave I would store that bit of information but wouldn't necessarily believe it or disbelieve it (or felt I had to) unless I had 1) first hand experience telling me the same or differing info 2) I knew a fact that disproved or proved that statement wrong or right. Let's say, I got injured and my doctor gave me magnesium pills or I knew for a fact that magnesium enhanced sensitivity to pain neurons. LOL...you get the picture. Until there is experience or factual knowledge it's just neutral information. Information is always neutral until you can utilize it. I might vet the information myself if I'm curious about the truth or origin of it.

Yeah. I do. Unless someone can prove otherwise or has more experience than myself I'll listen to them. I weigh pros and cons when I'm really, really struggling with a major decision. I think this is beyond type. It's human nature! Yeah. Society is fake. It has to be otherwise we would all hate each other and chaos would ensue. So I don't mind it. It's par the course.

I'm not sure what the purpose of enhancing Ti in yourself is because Ti never works alone. It's the filter not the source. Sort of like your liver when you drink too much :newwink:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
It seems like I'm always weighing new information about what I know, and if I don't know anything about it, I kind of scrutinize it to see if it seems right, if it's logical, if there are any reasons why it wouldn't be the case. I scan myself to see if there are any factors that might be clouding my judgment, anything I'm not seeing, anything emotion might be blinding me to. Ti doesn't like to just accept things. Of course, there are things that are emotional matters, and there are things that don't need a high level of scrutiny.

Yeah, I don't really think solving puzzles has anything to do with Ti. I'm great at crossword puzzles, but that's just a combination of a knowledge of useless stuff and knowing how to do them right (fill in all the answers you know first and don't guess at stuff you don't until you have some letters. My mom cannot grasp this concept.) :p

From what I'm gathering in the Fi threads, it seems Fi is also a function that detects inaccuracies, but it seems to do it on a more personal level. Ti doms tend to filter out emotions as data, because it's not as reliable for us.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ti is a pain in the ass believe me. It makes you want to analyze, scrutinize and categorize every ounce of information which crosses your mind, what you see or what you hear.

Pain in the ass.

It gives the impression that you think too much. xxTPs don't think too much at all. (Especially in IxTP's) Ti makes one wants to put every thing in order in it's head.

urghh!

Well, if something doesn't make sense and is thus Unreal, then it's a waste of time. The goal is to make sure everything fits together and isn't a waste.

This is good when it comes to process refinement, strategy, etc... this is why it's a good idea to have someone with strong Ti preference on every project/team endeavor, to keep things from veering into the badlands... but it makes it hard when trying to grapple with personal preference ("What do I like?" or "What do I want to do with my life?"). Often the efficient/rational answer does not adequately address the ambiguous, emotional/personal needs of the individual. Life is about more than just assessing and providing rational response, there seems to be an irrational (and by that I mean something that exists in a "black box," we can't quite get at it to define it clearly) center to every human being driving their needs and wants. This is probably why we see those forums with lots of whiny teen INTPs who can't figure out the reason for their existence. The Fi perspective is much better at addressing those sorts of things.

...not ignoring other posts, I'll have to respond later.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's all about finding the rational truth, governed by laws and that makes perfect sense. See... I get very pissed off when people say things that don't make any sense.
For instance, a friend started talking to me about signs. As in, you have a dream and consider it a sign that something will happen in the future, etc. Pure bullshit.
He is Fe dominant. He also talks about spirits, God, and other things that piss me off. Not doing specific things in a specific day, because God forbids them also ...bullshit.
Things must make 100% sense, not 50%, not 70%, you need to know exactly how and what.
I also observed that NTPs doubt things, it may be Ti related I do not know for sure.

For instance, you have a concept. Seemed bulletproof. But you doubt it, you deconstruct it, and reconstruct it, to see if you end up where you started from.
Ti is all about wondering about all sorts of crap, why is this that why is that that, why does this fit here and not there, it's also about patterns and logic.
I don't know if the pattern seeking thing is 100% Ti, or it's because of the NT combination, but it is present.

You seek patterns in people, wonder why they do the things they do, try to see the cycle of things. To make some mental order of the apparent chaos that you see outside.

Ti users often leave the impression that they think too much...I've heard that a lot. But you can't help it...why should you be satisfied with partial stuff, instead of knowing the whole?????

I actually like the Ti functon, but, I'm not Ti dominant so...

Anyway, this is Ti, I haven't talked about Fi, because I don't wanna talk crap. I know much more about Ti than Fi.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also CBT is pretty much like Ti.
However by developing Ti, you won't get rid of your issues.
INTPs also get depressed etc, and they're Ti dom. You should confront your stuff in your own NATURAL way . : )

1. Sounds like a cool description. I heard that it is actually easier to describe your auxiliary function than to describe the dominant one - which is also true for my Ne.

2. I don´t think you need Ti for CBT. It might help, but as guesswho said, Ti doms also have issues and I know of at least two Ti doms in cognitive therapy (both dealing with Fe related issues). It´s no panacea. If you want to step away from Fi and try a more T approach, the natural thing to do would beusing more Te, which should come more natural to you if you´re Fi/Te. Come to think about it, if your Fi already detected where the problems lie (and/or somebody helped you find them), the next step would be implementing that insight by consciously steering your behavior in the desired direction and/or directing your trail of thoughts in an effective way. Sounds pretty Te to me.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
The thing with therapies, is that they were developed by different people, and they reflect their own personality in their therapy style.
Cognitive behavioral therapy is all T.
Distorted thought- Behavior- Beliefs- Issues ( depression, anxiety) Very little about how you actually feel.
CBT is about the distorted thought who generates a chain reaction in your mind. Change the thought, change the behavior, change the beliefs, resulting in less depression/anxiety.

It's kinda the best therapy for depression and anxiety mostly.
It's 70%help -30%bullshit.

CBT is 30% bullshit, other therapy styles contain even more bullshit.
Therapy has certain limits, that's when the bullshit comes along to fill in.

daftpunkcrunk

Thank you all for your replies. I agree a lot with what you guys said.

I've been reading an extensive study on the MBTI shadow functions and supposedly Ti is my 7th function and is expressed in times of stress when my natural functions cannot deal with an issue. I've been hoping that maybe I was an ENTP because I was almost afraid of having to deal with Fi, especially as a auxiliary function, and so I've been trying to develop Ti. I don't know how much childhood trauma can affect personality but for now I'm going to assume that I use Fi as a natural function and will continue to develop that function, as well as using Ti to get another perspective if needed.

Anyways, thanks again for your replies. I would still really appreciate if you guys would continue talk about how Ti is used by you. I find it really interesting to compare and contrast it to my Fi.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
The thing with therapies, is that they were developed by different people, and they reflect their own personality in their therapy style.
Cognitive behavioral therapy is all T.
Distorted thought- Behavior- Beliefs- Issues ( depression, anxiety) Very little about how you actually feel.
CBT is about the distorted thought who generates a chain reaction in your mind. Change the thought, change the behavior, change the beliefs, resulting in less depression/anxiety.

It's kinda the best therapy for depression and anxiety mostly.
It's 70%help -30%bullshit.

Maybe somewhat surprisingly, CBT only goes so far with me. When I get to the point where I need therapy, and it's happened several times in my life, I need someone to help me get OUT of my head. I want someone to talk to me about where my thinking's gone wrong and screwed up my life, but talking about it coldly and clinically makes me feel like a project rather than a person, and I can always counter the stuff they tell me to do, anyway. I kind of prefer a therapist to be able to help me examine my emotions, because when I get to a therapy-needing point, that's probably what I need to do. I've probably got years' worth of ignored emotions down there I haven't processed that are probably gumming up the works. :p

daftpunkcrunk

Maybe somewhat surprisingly, CBT only goes so far with me. When I get to the point where I need therapy, and it's happened several times in my life, I need someone to help me get OUT of my head. I want someone to talk to me about where my thinking's gone wrong and screwed up my life, but talking about it coldly and clinically makes me feel like a project rather than a person, and I can always counter the stuff they tell me to do, anyway. I kind of prefer a therapist to be able to help me examine my emotions, because when I get to a therapy-needing point, that's probably what I need to do. I've probably got years' worth of ignored emotions down there I haven't processed that are probably gumming up the works. :p

Maybe this because you are a T-dominant. F-dom/aux users have a great awareness of their moods and emotions due to introspection and because they are energized by experiencing emotions. CBT is optimal for F-users since it teaches you to utilize thinking rather than emotion.

But then again, I can't completely categorize CBT being useful only for F-users. In fact, I think it can be equally beneficial for T-users. My brother who is an INTJ, seems to benefit from therapy but he differs from me because he mainly enjoys his sessions because someone is there to listen to him and validate or offer another perspective on his thinking. I suppose this depends on the personality of your therapist, since F-users at times need someone to be critical and imposing on a differing perspective who knows what they're talking about and T-users would rather prefer acknowledgement from someone who is preferably a F-user.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
guesswho said:

I think all lifeframe belief sets are that way (whether we're talking religion, or psychology, or whatever.) And at best, they are just facets or windows -- isolated and focused views of a complex entity (life) in order to be able to dig more deeply in that isolated/narrower framework. They are viewpoints. But because of that, they don't encompass all truth, just part of it -- like a facet of the gem is a truthful part of the gem, but it does not represent the whole gem, and you need to see all the facets to get a real sense of the true makeup and reality of the gem.

Therapy typically is determined based on what the patient is dealing is with and the personality style of the patient.

Same here.

I need some level of warmth. I think I get the "cold clinical view" naturally, inside my own head, so replicating it with a professional tends to not help me. I think we go to therapy to get something we're not naturally getting on our own. Otherwise they're just already speaking to the choir, it's a waste of time and money to hear and experience something you're already getting.

I avoided therapy for years for that reason, I thought it would just entail someone telling me what to do or giving me advice I had already figured out long ago on my own. When I finally did go, it turns out the best therapist I had was the one who just gave me a safe environment where I felt like I no longer had to edit/screen out all of my natural responses. I could basically just "exist" and not worry about offending anyone. That was what I was missing: A window of time in just to live instinctively and be myself, and in the process, feel good about who I was and learn to accept myself as-is, without shame.

daftpunkcrunk said:
Maybe this because you are a T-dominant. F-dom/aux users have a great awareness of their moods and emotions due to introspection and because they are energized by experiencing emotions. CBT is optimal for F-users since it teaches you to utilize thinking rather than emotion.

But then again, I can't completely categorize CBT being useful only for F-users. In fact, I think it can be equally beneficial for T-users. My brother who is an INTJ, seems to benefit from therapy but he differs from me because he mainly enjoys his sessions because someone is there to listen to him and validate or offer another perspective on his thinking. I suppose this depends on the personality of your therapist, since F-users at times need someone to be critical and imposing on a differing perspective who knows what they're talking about and T-users would rather prefer acknowledgement from someone who is preferably a F-user.

yeah, I think that kind of fits in with what I said above -- that we go to therapy to get whatever it is we can't get on our own. It's partly type driven, but also environmentally driven.

it seems that the more well-rounded we get, the more we're also capable of providing that functionality for ourselves. People develop strategies to engage the missing parts, where they can.

[quoet]I've been reading an extensive study on the MBTI shadow functions and supposedly Ti is my 7th function and is expressed in times of stress when my natural functions cannot deal with an issue. [/quote]

Supposedly, yes; but shadow theory is highly speculative. If it gives you a focal point on yourself that you have found useful, then that is good... but individual reality is more important than theory reality here. Lots of people don't feel like they fit into those theoretical expectations.

I've been hoping that maybe I was an ENTP because I was almost afraid of having to deal with Fi, especially as a auxiliary function, and so I've been trying to develop Ti. I don't know how much childhood trauma can affect personality but for now I'm going to assume that I use Fi as a natural function and will continue to develop that function, as well as using Ti to get another perspective if needed.

Why don't you just drop MBTI theory for awhile?
What is your primary need (not in terms of function)?
Now, how can you address/meet that need in some way?
I think function theory can be very restrictive sometimes.