• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs, Do You Have An Art Form?

xisnotx

Permabanned
I like finding the exact combination of words to precisely express an idea. Though, for me, the ideas aren't really artistic, I have gone into that realm a couple times in order to identify which mind state I was experiencing (happiness, pain, sorrow, for longing..).

And I enjoy the abilities of those who are really adept at it. I guess, poetry, but not "wishy washy" poetry....more like a cross between prose and poetry.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm an art appreciator not an art creator. I can't draw, sing, play an instrument, dance, act, or write stories or poems worth a crap.

The closest I come to being artistic is being able to take good pictures and I do like decorating my apartment and I like to think I have a good sense of what looks good together.

Ukon

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really enjoy drawing out scenarios that I think of when looking at landscapes. It makes me giddy. Similarly, listening to emotional music has the same effect. I can sit on my bed for hours, listening to the nice side of youtube and fall into a relaxing trance. It's like meditation.

Other than that, does playing the Sims 2 count? I have a downloads folder over 5 gigabytes. I have one neighborhood which is based entirely on an idealistic fantasy world that has been pestering me for the longest time ever. I use the Sims 2 to create people and their stories, live out their destinies and fulfill the teachings of important life lessons to anyone whom happens to stumble upon my legacies and/or short stories.

I tap dance, too. That's pretty self explanatory.

TL;DR art is cool and stuff.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Art of Making Love.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm female and and an "artist". I do mostly drawing and Illustration but I also paint and make assemblage sculptures occasionally.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm female and and an "artist". I do mostly drawing and Illustration but I also paint and make assemblage sculptures occasionally.

A lurking female INTP appears.

To the harpoon! :run:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You mean, fill out an actual form?

Bah. :(

Not only that, but you have to write out all kinds of lists.

INTPs have to get out of their comfort zone!

The final stage is a public speech, on feelings.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not only that, but you have to write out all kinds of lists.

INTPs have to get out of their comfort zone!

The final stage is a public speech, on feelings.

Hmm... :unsure:

I think I'd rather climb the mount Everest.

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a poet. I think that poetry in rigid form is the "math" of literature. I love word play.

I am not very visual, though, so I can't draw/paint for crap unless I'm doing histology drawings.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm very good at abstract painting.

Lolz. :p

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP
Does writing count?

Visual art can be cool. I like portraits especially. But mostly tbh, it's just sort of "there" to me. It doesn't move me the waythat poetry or prose or music can. I like things that paint pictures in my mind and fire my imagination. With art, it's just... there.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I perform stand-up comedy in my time off (even though I'm not very jokey on this site).

I have a keen interest in fictional narratives & will discuss them at length with friends, though I haven't made any significant attempt to produce anything like that myself since high school. Even then, it was always on the writing side. Story interests me more than the way things are shot or filmed (It works differently with books, since they are a strictly word based medium, but overly long passages about details tend to leave me skimming).

Like virtually everyone, I enjoy music, though lyrics tend to speak to me more than the literal music aspect. Music can be very beautiful obviously, but the message, meaning and poetry of a good song often overwhelms me more than the pretty noises accompanying it.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I believe I am INTP (though some argue F) and art is very important to me. (And I am a female.)

It is my theory too that tertiary Si is a "safe" way for T types to feel.

I love art as refinement. I see this in Japanese and Greek culture, the Japanese taking it to an exquisite extreme and making everything they do and believe into an art form. This is more my approach to art, although there is an element of expressing the unconscious.

I do visual art, I'm a musician, and a dancer. Visual art is fulfilling and pleasing to me if it is beautiful or communicates something true (but I still don't like it if it's ugly). I am very much into aesthetics and the sensual, and I appreciate the beauty in my environment. As far as music is concerned I am one of those people who is great at imitation but awful at creation. I can play a song back to you by ear, sing like the person singing, and even do my own creative cover or remix; but put me in a jam session and I'm retarded. (I'm also awful at poetry. I like and understand it, but I am incapable of writing anything serious. My mind works to clarify things, not make them more abstract.) I love music though. I listen to it all the time. It's the way I connect to other people and the outside world (Fe). I connect to a collective spirit or emotion in a piece of music and feel part of a group. Dance, the most Si, really makes me feel alive and expresses my unconscious self. Creative and aesthetically pleasing physical movement is a big part of my life, and seems to purge any negative feeling I might have buried in my consciousness which I may not be aware of (not that I'm often moody, because I'm not). I just feel better and stronger afterwards, not to mention it gets my endorphins going and makes me happy. Then I remember that this is what life is really like, not some stupid illusion.

Anyway. I have more thoughts about art, but this about explains why I like art and how that manifests in my life.

Edit: Oh yeah, one more thing. I think Ti can appreciate and create art if it expresses an abstract idea. I do this a lot. I like to illustrate concepts.