• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs the most effective liars?

Priam

MBTI Type
INTP
He was all excited about this thing he learned at work on an inservice school day (he's a teacher) about "Islands of Competency" and got all inspired about it; he wanted all his students and us kids to realize our true selves. So, in a long car ride, we talked all about it. He told me some of his, how he discovered them along the way in life. He told me that if we know our strengths we can use them for the benefit of others.
Then came my turn, and he asked, "Usehername, what's your greatest Island of Competency?" And apparently I very nonchalantly replied, "I'm a phenomenal liar." I was just being honest; I perceived it as my greatest Island of Competency.

And he said a little part of him died inside. lol. poor NF daddy.

... I love you. :heart: :wubbie:

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm a decent liar. Never been caught in a lie except by my mom. And I'm even better at telling when people are lying, although I don't know how I do it most of the time.

ygolo

My termites win
I'm a horrible liar when I know I am lying. The guilt is too much to bear, and it comes through.

I have been known to make false statements that I believe are true, however. If the audience doesn't know better, they often believe I have these things on good authority. But even then, if I find out I misinformed, it hurts.

I am however an excellent rationalizer.

If I tasted something that was horrible and I was required to convince someone else to drink it....

I would say to myself (and to the person who needs to be convinced), that taste is rather subjective, and this one in particular is definitely an interesting taste--one they will miss out on if they don't try it.

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
If I tasted something that was horrible and I was required to convince someone else to drink it....

I would say to myself (and to the person who needs to be convinced), that taste is rather subjective, and this one in particular is definitely an interesting taste--one they will miss out on if they don't try it.

I am usually very cunning in this aspect, as I would find it hilarious to see their reaction. I will even go to the point to drink it myself, and act as if it was extremely tasty, just to get them to drink it.

Sadistic?...yes.
Funny?...extremely.

ygolo

My termites win
I am usually very cunning in this aspect, as I would find it hilarious to see their reaction. I will even go to the point to drink it myself, and act as if it was extremely tasty, just to get them to drink it.

Sadistic?...yes.
Funny?...extremely.

I can't fake my reactions that way.

I would probably taste it, make the usual face I would make when I taste something that nasty, then laugh and say:

"Yeah. Definitely interesting. You'll have to try it," and hope it is weird enough to pique the target's curiosity to the point that (s)he will try it himself/herself.

Camelopardalis

MBTI Type
INTJ

Sadistic?...yes.
Funny?...extremely.

I'm good at face-control. I can do nasty things (such as eating mushrooms) and still seem calm. I'd just drink it and try to make myself think that I just drank chicken soup (Mmmmmm...), then suggest that they drink it :D

imanunderachieve

MBTI Type
ENTP
Whenever my mother caught me lying, I'd get in trouble, understandably, but what amuses me is that out of the few times she caught me (believe me, I used to do this every day until High School workload really gets to me and I don't even need to lie), she thought she can read me like a book and that she would 'always' know when I'm lying.

That's exactly how my mom is. I find it hilarious that she thinks I'm such a horrible liar, when in fact I lie flawlessly. Haha

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
I lie very well to avoid - when the little white lies are short and sweet and vague and I can quickly slip around something without the other person realising so I don't have to face it just yet. It won't exist, so you can't ask me anything about it. That sort of thing I do well.

But if it's prolonged, too complex or it's possibly hurting someone, I fail. Because as soon as it ends up under scrutiny I blush, or something else that totally gives me away. Plus it feels horrible to have a lie found out, so that doesn't help with lying in the first place.

So that, coupled with my ability to poker-face things I say if necessary, allow me to obfuscate very well when I want to or need to.

The thing is that I really do not like to lie. I don't like to utter mistruth. I like to be honest and open. So the worst I usually do is allow ambiguity to exist in a situation where I am afraid someone will try to restrict/control me if I tell them too much.

My INTP friend is just like this. She will very rarely lie outright - she'll avoid, or be ambiguous, or turn the subject around so it's not on her - all that she does very, very well to conceal the truth.

If you ask her something point-blank, and refuse to let her slip past you, she'll grudgingly tell the truth.

And then make you feel bad for prying it so painstakingly out of her. ;)

nzAShadow

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I am absolutely horrible at lying.

I am ridiculously good at telling the truth in a way to make them interpret it incorrectly, in my favor.

I am ridiculously bad at telling the truth when I want them to intepret the truth for what it is.

I'm also ridiculously bad about telling the truth when I get caught breaking the law, so in situations when I well told lie would save me a lot of hassle, I wind up with handcuffs :*(

R

Riva

First, I will start by saying that the xNTxs that I know and work with on a daily basis are generally the most forthright and honest people. However, I have noticed that they also tend to be the most cunning liars when they choose to do so, and they are almost without flaw.

xNFx- They can be just as convincing as xNTxs, however, generally only if they are doing so to help someone, or if they believe that someone has violated them somehow. Otherwise they are seemingly less adept at this.

xSxJ- Often the less decisive will be fooled, however, they often provide too much information. This usually leads more intuitive people to notice the inconsistencies in the proposed "facts".

xSxP- Most of the xSxPs I know are terrible liars. (Not that that's a bad thing by any means) ESTPs, if unquestioned, can be extremely persuasive. Once you begin to question them they have a very hard time maintaining the facade.

I think that the key to lying in this sense is the ability to think quickly and be able to "paint a believable picture". It's my observation that sensing types tend to be at a disadvantage in this arena.

This is more of an observation on my behalf of those that I encounter on a regular basis, and not entire types' demographic in general. It is very possible an erroneous conclusion, however, it seems to hold true more often than not.

Let me know what you think/have observed, as I am interested to hear it.

everyone keeps on making NFs sound like angels. i better find one and marry one

about NTs lying i think you are right. i myself is a good liar and i know a lot of NTs who are just like me.especially the ENTs.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I couldn't lie to save myself. I can omit the truth but anything more than that is pushing me into uncomfortable territory unless I'm being sarcastic, than anything's fair game.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
My INTP friend is just like this. She will very rarely lie outright - she'll avoid, or be ambiguous, or turn the subject around so it's not on her - all that she does very, very well to conceal the truth.

If you ask her something point-blank, and refuse to let her slip past you, she'll grudgingly tell the truth.

I'm like this, but if you're somone I dislike or distrust, there is nothing you can do to get the truth out of me. btw I'm just talking about stuff that is personal, not day to day trivia.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well i make a point to be completely honest to everyone i know in a completely tactless way which on the few days i actually lie is useful as people hardely ever question whether i'm telling the truth and since there used to lack of tact bneing subtle isn't anything i need to worry about!

I'm also good at the whole make truth biased thing!

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I definitely can see how NTs could prove to be skilled liars.

But.. highly intelligent, deeply empathetic, calculating & manipulative INFJs [with or without a skewed moral compass].... well..

...and the masses are dubious.

We never even come up on the radar.
If we ever did.. people would just assume there was a technical malfunction.

I certainly won't correct them.:devil:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Sadly, I'm a very good liar. Don't think it's very type related though.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sadly, I'm a very good liar. Don't think it's very type related though.

My INTP friend is a terrible liar.
She leans more toward keeping things vague/avoiding things, etc.

I may or may not be an incredibly talented liar...
I offer pointers sometimes if she asks.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm very good at creating a consistent alternate reality and have a knack for it being vague enough to not arouse suspicion, yet with enough detail to give the impression the event actually happened. I can often convince myself of this reality sometimes too, if I stress its reality. It's very odd. Sometimes I can't remember if I've actually done something or not, because I had told someone I had, and I completely believe it myself. I'm convinced I can totally beat a lie detector.

EDIT:: Every time I see your avatar, I laugh. It is so funny.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm very good at creating a consistent alternate reality and have a knack for it being vague enough to not arouse suspicion, yet with enough detail to give the impression the event actually happened. I can often convince myself of this reality sometimes too, if I stress its reality. It's very odd. Sometimes I can't remember if I've actually done something or not, because I had told someone I had, and I completely believe it myself. I'm convinced I can totally beat a lie detector.

EDIT:: Every time I see your avatar, I laugh. It is so funny.

I can relate to nearly everything you just said, except for convincing myself that the fabrication is in fact reality. I can always recall the details of events, real or otherwise, and I never get the two mixed up (on the extremely rare occasions I use this talent).

I'm also very much into theatre, and method acting... so I can kind of manipulate my body into emitting the proper overt emotional responses if/when need be.. I mean like really get involved in the story in my head, place myself in that frame of mind... which of course effects physiological responses to an extent. I can cry on cue, tremble, actually hyperventilate (I gave myself an asthma attack doing that before... oops), and given a little time and concentration, I've managed to break a sweat without physically exerting myself.. and vice versa of much of the above described. I don't know how to adequately word it, but I can very easily slip into a frame of mind where I remain so detached and eerily calm, and it's not play-acting at all. I've been in countless strange situations where that's come in handy; I'd go to that place and sincerely feel calm, inside and out amidst the chaos... and since that's a lot of what the polygraph measures, I'm fairly sure I'd have a decent shot at passing it.. or it might just explode.

I almost took my avatar down because I couldn't stop laughing at him.
I'm a terrible person. :yes:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can't lie for shit.

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious: morality has nothing to do with type.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
In contrast to NFs, I have to create a lie that will sell itself. NFs seem like they can sell the lie. I can't pull off the body language, mood, whatever.