• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs the most effective liars?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Are you kidding? There is no way I can tell a convincing lie. I gave up years ago. Just don't know how to get it right.

Even when I'm fooling around with my husband he can always tell if I'm not telling the truth.

It hasn't been all bad not being able to get by with telling lies. Pretty much forces me to only do stuff I don't have to try to lie about later. ;)

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My step-brother is a very intelligent ISTP and growing up he was a pathological liar. (He had a lot of issues, particularly once his father died when we were teenagers. Analyze that as you will.) Our parents were very worried about him and took him to see a shrink... By the third visit the shrink trusted him enough to let him take his PC home (with his patient's personal files on it!) to "fix it" for him since he was computer savvy. :sigh:

My brother talked himself out of jail, out of tickets, out of parental punishment, out of "pressed charges" when he stole laptops from a company he interned at, into women's pants, into my parent's buying him a second car before loaning me money for my first --the list is un-fucking-believable.

Little sister however (moi), was his Achilles' heel. He had a VERY hard time lying to me successfully and as a result, he has avoided me at most junctures and still does; it makes me very sad. :frown: I don't know why he decided to start lying so much to begin with, but the fact that he was so successful at it is what has persuaded him to continue doing it I think. I watched him deceive so many people, but none more so than himself. I'd have given anything to let him or our parents wear my INFJ x-ray goggles for one effing day. It mighta' changed his life for the better.

Last edited:

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I think sisters, in general, can do that, Iwakar. Sounds like my own kids. My ENFP daughter understands my IXTP son way better than I ever will. Too bad he had to distance himself from you. Just goes to show that not everyone who avoids you does it because they don't like you. Sometimes it's fear.

He has grown into a brutally honest human being but wasn't always so. Always in trouble with authority and every lie he told to get out of a situation just get him in deeper. So he finally learned from that.

Part of his problem when he was little was that he had quite a bit of difficulty determining what was "real" and what was not. TV and films confused him. I think that played a part in his dishonesty but I can't say exactly why.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I can lie my face off and often do so in social situations where it's a white lie. For example, if you have a new haircut I find hideous, I will look you in the eye and convince you I find it fab (I've never seen the point in telling someone who can't go back that their new hair/shoes/etc. look like crap - besides, it's my opinion only and it might be wrong). I can also lie to people I don't know or who I don't like. I *can* lie to loved ones, but choose not to, because it's not a good thing to do.

Re: the above, my sister can read me like a book (and vice-versa). She would be the most difficult person to lie to.

sculpting

I think estps are most prone to lieing as needed as they lack the big picture perspective to see how the lie will come back and bite them in the ass that the entp has. That global picture is what keeps you entps honest.

I would guess that an estp can lie to most folks convincingly but will have a hard time with Ns. An enfp can lie well if they feel it is for the greater good. an entp can just lie, and do it well.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Good liars need to be logical and aware of all past and present information. Also, any future situations that might arise. I find feelers in general, less capable of doing it well, and even NTs. STs, might retain every little detail necessary for executing it the most effectively.

As for best body language, I don't know.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think the best liars need some amount of social and emotional intelligence. Lying is a form of social manipulation, after all, so my vote goes to ENFJs. But when it comes to constructing the pure logic of a lie, NTs would win. So perhaps it would depend on the situation.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Also would require good control over one's voice and body language. Implying either repression of emotion or strong emotional control.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Also would require good control over one's voice and body language. Implying either repression of emotion or strong emotional control.

What about types that don't exude either, to any impressionable degree?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
But when it comes to constructing the pure logic of a lie, NTs would win. So perhaps it would depend on the situation.

Eh, I think it's too easy for an NT to miss important details. Especially stuff about physical surroundings, or what such and such looked like. Or what so and so was wearing.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Eh, I think it's too easy for an NT to miss important details. Especially stuff about physical surroundings, or what such and such looked like. Or what so and so was wearing.

I think NTJs can be really good with details and thought organization, but an ST probably has the best attention to detail. But to create the lie itself I think requires the ability to concoct plausible, yet untrue, logical scenarios and to deal with the big picture.

MBTI Type
INxJ
I think NTJs can be really good with details and thought organization, but an ST probably has the best attention to detail. But to create the lie itself I think requires the ability to concoct plausible, yet untrue, logical scenarios and to deal with the big picture.

Hmmm... You have a point. Isn't it ironic NTs are generally the type to be the most straight forward and honest.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Hmmm... You have a point. Isn't it ironic NTs are generally the type to be the most straight forward and honest.

On the contrary. I tell people what they expect/want to hear in order to end communication as fast as I possibly can. I may have had a class canceled or some such, yet if someone asks how the class was I lie and make a small remark about how we covered whatever was on the syllabus.

I lie a lot actually. I should probably stop.

MBTI Type
INxJ
On the contrary. I tell people what they expect/want to hear in order to end communication as fast as I possibly can. I may have had a class canceled or some such, yet if someone asks how the class was I lie and make a small remark about how we covered whatever was on the syllabus.

I lie a lot actually. I should probably stop.

Not me. I walk away. Not a single word exchanged. I'm serious.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

Reminds me of some quote I heard that went something like "Those who tend to do the most good, often are equally capable of doing the most bad"

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Reminds me of some quote I heard that went something like "Those who tend to do the most good, often are equally capable of doing the most bad"

haha, wishful thinking :D