• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs and physical goals or lack thereof

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
So, I was thinking, with the INTP, most type descriptions will list us as having our main goal as seeking truth and understanding, and other than that not being interested in any sort of achievement. Is this always the case? If an INTP has some recognisable goal to work towards, does that mean they are mistyped and actually INTJ? If they have a desire to make their ideas and knowledge influence the world for the better, are they mistyped and actually ENTP? And if they are devoted to a personal aspect or cause are they actually INFP? And if they have a prevalent hobby that involves physical activity such as a sport, are they actually ISTP?

The way we are described, it seems we can not have any goals other than understanding and knowledge from detatched observation. However, goals of many other types (and I have noticed especially ENTPs) can seem to have a wide variety of possible goals. Is it possible to have any of these things and still have Ti Ne Si Fe as your function order? At the moment I don't actually have any goals and few interests, but at times I have had some of the afformentioned goals in mind and it has made me reconsider my type (which I do frequently). So what of it?

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Pe's, such as we are, are "experiencers", or at least, we're happy this way, or at least, our cognitive state is happy this way, or at least, I think so. All "missions" I've accomplished I only do to experience something better, or rather, for the mission itself. I'm not sure how much my Ji play into this but I am fairly led by my Pe, and rightly so. You perceive first then you judge. Or in Ni-words, you envision and then you realize.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
First thing that comes to mind is that our "seeking of truth and understanding" should reveal to us that exercising is very important to overall health. I exercise a lot, I enjoy intense physical workouts, but I tend to be very sporadic about it. Ti tends to pull me away from that stuff. Ti would rather learn than "do". So, we have to look to lead balanced lives and to make sure that we put at least some amount of time into things that are important (that are not Ti-related). But, yeah, to be honest, it is a struggle sometimes to snap myself out of Ti and to make myself go get that exercise. It's not always easy, but it's still important like paying your bills, eating healthy, etc.

And, no, it does not mean an INTP is really ENTP if he has a desire to see his ideas manifest in the real world. I have things that I'm actively trying to get out into the real world and I'm no ENTP. I don't want to say ENTP's are better at it than us either, but maybe it happens more naturally for them? We are still completely capable of doing it, we just have to refuse to take no for an answer. You're standing at the bottom of a large mountain and the mountain represents the thing you want to be manifest in the world. You can either strap on the appropriate shoes and gear and get to hiking or you can go home and pout about how big the mountain is. I think the INTP problem is mainly that we get 25% up the mountain and we give up. Lack of mental toughness maybe?

One doesn't have to be ENTP to see creative ideas manifest in the world. One doesn't have to be INFP to take up a cause for humanity, one doesn't have to be "S" to engage in rigorous physical exercise. If we want to do something, if we have a desire to make something happen in a given field, we just simply have to do it. No excuses.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
ofc you can be an intp and have goals, its just that many intps prefer not to have specific goals. if you go to school, you goal will be that you graduate, if you are an intp, you might sort of like drift towards that goal, while some other types might make every test as a goal and have all kinds of different goals inside the main goal all the time. or this is how i understood it

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I would like to travel to different times, different dimensions and in different shapes sizes.

This will most likely only happen after I die unless some space aliens beam me up or otherwise if I find some ancient secret of something in the vein of transcendental meditation (or run across a cache of heavy duty psychedelics and the spirit becomes willing to imbibe)

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Isn't MBTI just a way to describe collections of behaviours? Manifesting things physically is a behaviour and may in fact be one of the things that would differentiate an INTP from and ENTP. I think it does matter. My MBTI is weak, so I'm sticking my neck out here, but it is my impression that INTPs don't make things as often because they realize their object of interest in their own heads; which is more than satisfactory for an Introvert. At that point in time, their idea is manifested.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
but it is my impression that INTPs don't make things as often because they realize their object of interest in their own heads; which is more than satisfactory for an Introvert. At that point in time, their idea is manifested.

I relate to this.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
So, I was thinking, with the INTP, most type descriptions will list us as having our main goal as seeking truth and understanding, and other than that not being interested in any sort of achievement. Is this always the case? If an INTP has some recognisable goal to work towards, does that mean they are mistyped and actually INTJ? If they have a desire to make their ideas and knowledge influence the world for the better, are they mistyped and actually ENTP? And if they are devoted to a personal aspect or cause are they actually INFP? And if they have a prevalent hobby that involves physical activity such as a sport, are they actually ISTP?

The way we are described, it seems we can not have any goals other than understanding and knowledge from detatched observation. However, goals of many other types (and I have noticed especially ENTPs) can seem to have a wide variety of possible goals. Is it possible to have any of these things and still have Ti Ne Si Fe as your function order? At the moment I don't actually have any goals and few interests, but at times I have had some of the afformentioned goals in mind and it has made me reconsider my type (which I do frequently). So what of it?

To the first paragraphs questions, no to all. INTPs might not be as proactive, or atleast Im not, thats basically a flaw I want to work on. INTPs have a drive to achieve things, but it might not be as apparent like in INTJ's etc. I have plans of starting my own company within the next ten years. Is there possibility it will fail? Yes, but I know over the years of my career, that Id be able to be succesful, if I work on my disciplinary problems.

But am I interested in it for earning more money, a big house, the prestige or anything like that? No. I want to be more selfsufficient than I would feel when working for others. I've always lived so I didnt have to think about money. I have no loans or anything, being realistic that your situation can change over a short period of time has been valuable for me atleast.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree with what INTP and slowriot said. INTPs can and do set goals. They are probably more general in nature than highly specific. They may not be so good at setting and following a timelime to make it happen. If they do set one, it's more likely to be a looser and more flexible schedule that's subject to change.

lets eat pie

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w6
I also agree with the idea of general goals over specific goals. Other types feel that setting smaller, more specific goals will help them reach their ultimate goal. For an INTP, the ultimate goal may change over time and even setting smaller goals can be difficult because the INTP is always trying to gather more information before making a move. Doubt also really slows down an INTPs progress-- it's hard to get moving from inertia. But any progress along the way will still be a step in the right direction.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I was doing a project in school once where we had to create a video and I did a brainstorm, tried to narrow down the best idea and build the most brilliant and perfectly crafted short film ever. It didn't happen because nobody liked any of my ideas and wanted to go with something simple, unoriginal and boring. But if I had gone ahead with it, would that have been uncharacteristic INTP behaviour?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Doesn't wishing to acquire all knowledge mean to experience everything as well as learn it? Before we jump in (us INTP's) like to analyze what will happen when we actually experience and do. You have to be willing to get past the analyzation and test it with our extraverted functions. It is difficult because we do believe that we have experienced it because we went binary on it and think we've thought up every logical answer. We forget about the anomolies that occur when actually experiencing it. Ne isn't the best to experience things with as it's still ideas and ideal situations, but with this mind set it's what you have deal with, so as people have said we are careful, but if you get past the analytical barrier and test theories you should find yourself being quite similiar to at least more people than you were before.