• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs and Grammar

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Good point. However, and this is not meant to upset anyone, I consider forums a place for informal writing. So by all means be as lazy as you wish :D

I vehemently disagree. Sloppy communication is undesirable in any place, at any time. It only leads to confusion and misunderstanding in the long run. If you are able to communicate correctly, do so. That's my opinion.

armstrongvk12

MBTI Type
ENxJ
I vehemently disagree. Sloppy communication is undesirable in any place, at any time. It only leads to confusion and misunderstanding in the long run. If you are able to communicate correctly, do so. That's my opinion.
I think that for the most part, it is best to avoid sloppy communication as it does lead to confusion and misunderstanding...not to mention the fact that it reflects poorly on one's attention to detail. It has been my experience on this forum that most people try to communicate effectively. But there is one male...who almost NEVER corrects spelling, punctuation or capitalization....so I just skip his posts. Too annoying. (I believe he might be an INTP.)

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
What about stuff like this? Does it bother people?

Randomising letters in the middle of words [has] little or no effect on the ability of skilled readers to understand the text. This is easy to denmtrasote. In a pubiltacion of New Scnieitst you could ramdinose all the letetrs, keipeng the first two and last two the same, and reibadailty would hadrly be aftcfeed. My ansaylis did not come to much beucase the thoery at the time was for shape and senqeuce retigcionon. Saberi's work sugsegts we may have some pofrweul palrlael prsooscers at work. The resaon for this is suerly that idnetiyfing coentnt by paarllel prseocsing speeds up regnicoiton. We only need the first and last two letetrs to spot chganes in meniang.

Source.

Bushranger

MBTI Type
INTP
I think it depends on the individual's focus. INTPs can be apt to excel with spelling and grammar skills, but they will only do so if they consider it important.

As for being vague, 'vague' statements are, by their very nature, more likely to be accurate than 'specific' statements. Precision is arrived at by starting with generalities and then paring away the extraneous components.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think it depends on the individual's focus. INTPs can be apt to excel with spelling and grammar skills, but they will only do so if they consider it important.

I agree. I know one INTP who is good with them, but it was because they used to be a writer or something.
As for being vague, 'vague' statements are, by their very nature, more likely to be accurate than 'specific' statements. Precision is arrived at by starting with generalities and then paring away the extraneous components.

True. But what information does a vague statement really give you? If I were to say, "there is an object in a room somewhere," I would have made an accurate statement. If I had said, "there is a keyboard on my computer desk in front of my monitor in the dining room," I have made a statement that was accurate at the time I wrote it, but is more subject to change later. Even so, I still think the second statement is more useful.

Although I can easily see how too much detail would be superfluous. It would be pointless in most cases to say, "there is a white Dell AT101W keyboard manufactured in Malaysia sitting on top of the Melamine Top Folding Table I'm using as a computer desk. The keyboard is oriented with it's function keys facing my Samsung SyncMaster 730B LCD monitor manufactured in Mexico, the opposite side with the space bar facing my Haworth Improv H.E. (#M241-1G42) office chair's front oriented towards it, and the numeric keypad oriented towards the PS/2 Compaq mouse made in China that came with my Presario 5204 sitting atop my Allsop mouse pad."

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP

Absolutely, I think it is all about ROI. There is little point in expending energy crafting a perfectly worded statment if the benefit of doing so is minimal.

cdal233

MBTI Type
INTP
For me, I DO NOT think in sentence structure before I start to write. My thoughts are literally all over the place, and the writing somewhat comes out. So my natural tendency is not to have good grammar or good spelling. I hate both.

But, I learned a long time ago that if you want others to understand you, you have to be able to put things into a language that anyone can relate to. I do get frustrated at times if other people didn't take the effort I did to make my thoughts understandable.

If they are simply not trying... it's frustrating.

If they are being unclear without really realizing it, and I understand that, then it's no big deal.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
For me, I DO NOT think in sentence structure before I start to write. My thoughts are literally all over the place, and the writing somewhat comes out. So my natural tendency is not to have good grammar or good spelling. I hate both.

But, I learned a long time ago that if you want others to understand you, you have to be able to put things into a language that anyone can relate to. I do get frustrated at times if other people didn't take the effort I did to make my thoughts understandable.

If they are simply not trying... it's frustrating.

If they are being unclear without really realizing it, and I understand that, then it's no big deal.

I have a similar problem. For example if I write something that contains six paragraphs all six will be well written. However, the order in which the paragraphs are placed is often confusing.

To compensate I have developed a habit of re-reading anything I have written at least three times.

cdal233

MBTI Type
INTP
I have a similar problem. For example if I write something that contains six paragraphs all six will be well written. However, the order in which the paragraphs are placed is often confusing.

To compensate I have developed a habit of re-reading anything I have written at least three times.

Yes! Well what I've started to do is just write write write... and not worry too much about the order or format that it's supposed to be structured in. Then, once I have an adequate amount of words, then worry about fitting it into a format, if necessary.

If it's writing for fun, then I make sure that the words are understandable to me.

And if it's social writing, like blogs or things like this forum, then I try to make it easy to understand, like if it was in a conversation... but the words doesn't always come out the way they are typed.

lazyhappy

i thought that was a intj thing... i mean my intj always bugs me about my grammer

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Yes! Well what I've started to do is just write write write... and not worry too much about the order or format that it's supposed to be structured in. Then, once I have an adequate amount of words, then worry about fitting it into a format, if necessary.

If it's writing for fun, then I make sure that the words are understandable to me.

And if it's social writing, like blogs or things like this forum, then I try to make it easy to understand, like if it was in a conversation... but the words doesn't always come out the way they are typed.

I agree. Write, then revise and organize after your thoughts have been recorded.

For social writing, especialy forums, brevity is crucial. I strive to write concise clear sentences.

disTant_eCHo

MBTI Type
INTP
Pedantic about ideas, yes, but I have never yet noticed them to be grammar hounds.
I am, but I fail to correct others on their mistakes because everybody makes them. If I make mistakes myself then I have no right to criticize others on theirs.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I am, but I fail to correct others on their mistakes because everybody makes them. If I make mistakes myself then I have no right to criticize others on theirs.

... or, since you do not correct others on the occassion when you do make a mistake those that you might have corrected will not seize the oppurtunity to shine the spotlight on you. :devil:

disTant_eCHo

MBTI Type
INTP
Oh yeah, I get corrected all the time, but I appreciate it. I rarely come across a word that I can't spell so when I do screw something up it's usually a typo. The only problem is that people feel the need to correct me with an asshole attitude about it. If I can't spell a word right just say "Hey, it's spelled this way not that way." Instead of "Your entire argument was just rendered invalid because you couldn't properly spell Albuquerque."

By the way, I used to have a beagle that looks just like yours. Therefore you are my new favourite internet friend.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
"Hey, it's spelled this way not that way." Instead of "Your entire argument was just rendered invalid because you couldn't properly spell Albuquerque."

I agree. Many a keen intellect has been hidden behind a poor ability to communicate. To quote myself: "it's the message that matters not the delivery".

By the way, the beagle is not mine. I found the picture on the Internet. That being said when I do get a dog it will most likely be a beagle as they are awesome dogs.

eXiled

MBTI Type
INTP
I just remember sequences well.

Jennifer's quote is very on point for me because I think some people are simply better at remembering sequences. For me, it's the way words are spelled. Yet, I'm terrible with math. I simply can't understand how people can look at a word thousands of times during their lifetime and still spell it incorrectly. Every. Single. Time.

I don't use words I can't spell. Seriously. It's like I get a headache if a word is spelled incorrectly. Something weird goes off in my head, and I can't allow the sentence to be published if I know one of the words is misspelled. When that occurs and I can't find the correct spelling, I substitute a word with similar meaning. It's easier, and I don't feel quite so loony.

I have a friend who accused me of some sort of "word autism." A poster on another board I frequent asked if I could have a photographic memory. I wouldn't take it that far. But like Jennifer, once I see a word a few times, it's mine--I don't forget it. Making up a spelling just won't do.

Oh yeah, I get corrected all the time, but I appreciate it. I rarely come across a word that I can't spell so when I do screw something up it's usually a typo....
So true.

Appreciating being corrected must be an INTP thing because it rarely bothers me. I want to know as much about the world as possible, and if someone shows me I'm wrong, I simply file away the new information so that it can be used at an appropriate time.