• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Intimidating ENTPs

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
We love big challenges but tend to be bored by mundane ones. If you want to intimidate us, put us face to face with something completely structured, regimented with absolutely no room for a creative response.

There's almost always a possibility for a creative response, ergo ENTPs are seldom intimidated.

Speak for yourself. You'll value structure soon enough if you really want to change something on a grand scale. Without structure and order in your work in a corporate world there's none to nothing you will change. On a personal level; people will get bored with someone whose constantly unstructured and doesnt get his things going. At a certain age, you'll find yourself quite alone, with your guitar and your dog dummy. Growing up is an essential part of life and it's damn good to unleash the power that can be in you if you actually want your creativity to actually do something for the first time.

Realism may pervert people into being blind to creativity. Then again, I never liked even in school the people who criticized others of not being creative enough. This critic is not only semantically wrong, it's a thing a thoughtful P would never say, cause you cant imagine in how many ways uncreative people could be creative, watch American Psycho and you would know.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We love big challenges but tend to be bored by mundane ones. If you want to intimidate us, put us face to face with something completely structured, regimented with absolutely no room for a creative response.

There's almost always a possibility for a creative response, ergo ENTPs are seldom intimidated.

That's probably one of the most random responses I have seen.
What I spoke of had more to do with a lack of self-awareness and an inability to understand when you're out-gunned and surrounded.
What I am looking for is a way to get points through to you in a way you can understand better.

Normally, I have to repeat myself until you finally get so annoyed that you for once listen.
Then, finally, after thinking about what I said you might repeat what I said about the topic in conversation with another...
While still disliking me for being harsh, usually. Not to mention that you will probably have repressed the memory that you changed your opinion.
And giving no credit for others being right, ever.
That's not very effective, in the sense that it is time-consuming and frustrating.
Winning over an NTP that isn't listening for some reason is sort of like emptying a sandbox with a tweezer, one grain at a time.

This isn't based on a single individual that i'm frustrated with, it is very general and common.
Perhaps it is just because NTPs and I don't work well together(usually), this might not happen to others. Unsure.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Can you repeat the middle part I was busy playing with my balls :D :p :solidarity:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
:D

You are very right with ur assessment though. My gf played an integral part in showing me what an ass I am especially in discussion and how, should I run out of methods to twist and turn the conversation to my part, I just deny my own revised opinion.

The thing is tho, to say in my own defense, I am not always doing that on purpose. Sometimes you get in the middle of the duiscussion convinced by your partners opinion and adapt it immediantly as your own without telling your discussion partner that you agree. Then of course in the end it looks like you are a jerk to others. This is not on purpose, sometimes you are so fascinated by a discussion that the minds runs and doesnt stop, normally if you would now that as a discussion partner you can see it as a compliment. This shouldnt be tho an excuse for an entp doing it nevertheless.

Another thing is, I hate it to be wrong. Not because I always want to be right, but because I am not very strong in my opinion. I always listen to every opinion people present, with age the opinions you hear from different people repeat itself more often, so you already made up your mind about them. But with new opinions you take all the information in and then at a certain moment you speak your opinion. And should then someone speak against it, you are disappointed, because it took you so long from the start to even have the guts to speak your mind.

Those things are of course nothing one should respect in a discussion with an entp, that's a thing the entp must learn for him- / herself, but it's maybe intresting to know for better discussioin tactics :)

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Normally, I have to repeat myself until you finally get so annoyed that you for once listen.

This comprises repetition and persistance, which means longwinded-ness and an unnecessary amount of examples. NTPs rely on Ti and Ne, and, I speak from experience here, when someone (an ENFJ in this case) begins repeating themselves to me, it doesn't change a damned thing in the argument. That's not the juicy part though: we probably already have an idea of what you're arguing after your first example so you really don't need to repeat yourself. :shrug:

While still disliking me for being harsh, usually. Not to mention that you will probably have repressed the memory that you changed your opinion.
And giving no credit for others being right, ever..

You're presupposing we are expressing an opinion in the first place and that we see certain people as being "right" or "wrong".

Winning over an NTP that isn't listening for some reason is sort of like emptying a sandbox with a tweezer, one grain at a time.

No. You're not winning anything. You're just harping on a subject we got bored with yesterday. This solves both of your problems: why they're not listening, and why you aren't "winning us over".

I've had this encounter with ENFJs before. I like to argue. I don't care about being right or wrong; I care about understanding the relationship between the many sides of an argument. The "opinion" I'm expressing has more to do with your reaction, not the merit of the viewpoint.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
This good too. I've read your post 6 times to find something to attack you with but, nothing comes to mind. Maybe the shrug smile, that was pretty arrogant of you ! :D

Fiver

MBTI Type
ENTP
I have been told many times that I am intimidating. I do not understand why. I think it is because they think I set high standards for myself and then judge them against those standards. Has anyone else gotten that feedback?

N

NPcomplete

Some of my friends tell me that they don't find me intimidating at all. However, most of those ones are Ns of some sort and we pretty much speak the same "language" and probably have similar demeanors and most importantly, have known each other for a long time so I don't know how valid that statement is.

I suspect other people of finding me intimidating because sometimes I prefer to be aloof and quiet and just observe the scenery.

In my teenage years, I used to be extremely argumentative (and would never back down) and would call people on their bs no matter what. Now, though, I am more laid back, goofy and most times don't care unless it's really important, in which case I am extremely logical and don't mind using my argumentative/calling people on stuff powerz.

I have been told many times that I am intimidating. I do not understand why. I think it is because they think I set high standards for myself and then judge them against those standards. Has anyone else gotten that feedback?

Indeed I have. My friend said that I sometimes "remind people of their limitations" so that's why they sometimes find me intimidating. Haha does that make me a dementor?

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't think that I ever come off as intimidating. If I do, it's unintentional.

No one has ever said anything that would lead me to believe that I was intimidating.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
To be properly intimidating, you probably need to be either really freakish and insane or to be a directing personality. And Most ENTPs are informing personalities (I believe they CAN be directing, as I disagree that being a certain type specifies what your communication style is 100% of the time, but normally they'd just be informing). Although they may be able to intimidate some timid Behind-the-scenes people with their strong energy.

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
I am not intimidating I just can appear somewhat aggressive :D

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I can intimidate - mainly when at work, either throughh communicating too passionately, or having all the arguments covered off and be literally runnign 3 minutes ahead of others thinking. I have been told in one specific job - that I finished an major launch too quickly, and was too creative - OH DEARY me I cried myself to sleep that night :)

S

Sniffles

However, I find that the ENTPs that I'm related to are cerebral bullies. They create complex logical arguments about sensitive subjects. They can exploit personal weakness. A fellow NT may not care as much, but my feelings were easily hurt by their need for one-upmanship. They can also be intellectually annoying. On certain subjects in which I have expertise, I take the effort to cut them down, but they don't back off easily because the need to be right can be stronger than the need to accept the truth.

This roughly parallels my impression of certain ENTPs. It's more annoying than intimidating, especially when some ENTPs get all aggressive over any little thing. I'm often scratching my head as to what the hell that person's problem is. Plus half the time I can't tell if the person is being serious or just playing around - which makes it more annyoing from my perspective. Plus all too often they try to lecture me on stuff I already know, but yet address me as if I didn't know anything.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

What other traits did you encounter when they acted like this? Was this there natural state of being, or were they stressed when you saw this attitude?

S

Sniffles

What other traits did you encounter when they acted like this? Was this there natural state of being, or were they stressed when you saw this attitude?

Well certainly any attempt to diffuse the situation failed and basically seemed to encourage them to act more aggressively. They would also insist on some particular negative assestment of myself and would not accept the possibility that they were wrong or mistaken. No everything I said would be twisted around to support their preconceived notion, and/or made to look more sinister than it actually was.

I really wouldn't know in all honesty about them being stressed. In each case it kinda blew up suddenly and out of nowhere, so at times it caught me off guard.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Hm, oh well, sudden outbursts could be linked to stress I suppose. Maybe they felt threatened by you? Thank you for your contribution! :yes:

S

Sniffles

No problem. :) Threatened by me? Interesting to hear that, although then again people have told me I can be intimidating myself. :shrug: