• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP's and fear

cdal233

MBTI Type
INTP
Do any other INTP's or INTJ's (for the hell of it) get scared too easliy and try to deny it?

I've been around a few INTJ's and INTP's in my life, also being one myself... and I would say there is definitely no positive correlation between INTx's and getting scared easily. If anything, their heightened sense of reality has given them a better understanding of why not to be afraid in most situations.

Also, absolutely no real correlation between the shyness being a fear outside of a lack of experience. They seem to make themselves think this is a type of fear... but in my opinion they just haven't been exposed to the many world situations to release that social innocence.

However, I have noticed that INTx's to like to get scared for fun, but it's never an actual fear, it's more like a fun fear.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The price of imagination is fear. If the capacity for imagination is great, the possibility of fear is great.

The only solution to fear is action. With experience, one learn to overcome this fear through courage.

If imagination -> fear -> action, then cut out fear all together to then have imagination -> action.

Just reorient that power of imagination not into creating possibility of failure, but for possibilities for success.

"Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom" - Marilyn Ferguson

Children to not understand fear as adults do, they are taught this. This is why they will act on their imaginations. It's part of their charm and why some people give the advice to be like children again.

By acting on imagination instead of fear, one cultivates a vision. This is a mark of a leader.

"It's one of the characteristics of a leader that he not doubt for one moment the capacity of the people he's leading to realize whatever he's dreaming. " Ben Zander

The best form of persuasion is through story telling. The sharing of a dream. And followers always love to be part of something great, to have purpose, to live within a vision, a dream.

Remove this fear, and remove the doubt. The side effect of this is that it leads to happiness.

Everyone has the capacity for imagination, hence the capacity for fear. For intuitive types, this may be more pronounced. Protect it and guard it from negative thoughts.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
I do this also.

Maybe stems from watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Nightmare on Elm street in 3rd grade.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
However, I have noticed that INTx's to like to get scared for fun, but it's never an actual fear, it's more like a fun fear.
I cannot relate to this statement in even the slightest manner. Fear induces stress and/or triggers the adrenaline glands. Neither of these outcomes is desirable in non-hostile environments. Bother have adverse effects. I prefer to only experience this effects when the positive effects outweigh them. (IE: Life-saving adrenaline is good when your life is actually threatened.)

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I'm scared of two things: Spiders and unwanted pregnancy.

I am also scared of ISTJ's and of being stupid. Ooh ooh, can I add admins to the list? They seem to follow me. *looks over shoulder and sees Ivy*.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fear, no. I tend to get adrenaline rushes instead. In real life situations that is.

As for movies, last movie I felt a few chills down my spine is when I was zapping randomly, home alone, 1am. And turned to a channel with appeared to be a documentary that was going on from the start. Turned out to be a movie, but I watched the shit thinking it was a real documentary. Movie was called "Alien abduction at lakeview something" something. I was still a teenager at the time!

So that's a no, I don't feel fear when watching movies.

Call on me when I've met some real mind controlling aliens though. Maybe I'll have experienced fear again then. :p

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
It's hard for me to get scared.

As a matter of fact, what I consider a nightmare is just me showing up late for something in a dream.

I did have a dream once where I was watching a scary movie and was impressed that I actually felt a little frightened watching it.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Haha. Most of them run out of things to 'scare' people with. It's always the same stuff, over, and over, and over again....

Seriously and it's so predictable I'll be sitting there watching this movie I never watched and be predicting every scene that's going to happen, he's gonna pop out, she's dead, he's dead, they're gonna live, the evil guy is him, it makes me start wondering if I should go into directing movies myself. At least I already know what is played out.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Ergh. I never really got over the scene in House of Wax where that guy gets his tendon severed. But that only horrified me because I know that it can actually happen under normal circumstances, and that it would be bloody painful (as well as just plain bloody).

When I read Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince, I was equally disgusted at the beginning where Malfoy stomps on Harry's face and breaks his nose. Just thinking about it makes me cringe - I mean, I bashed my nose on the door by accident and that was painful. So I guess I'm only disturbed by things I can empathize with. Films with zombies and murderers with amazing abilities don't really scare me, because my Ti slaps my Ne in the face before it can speak up, saying over and over again: "Well that can't possibly happen because... No, shut your mouth, it can't possibly happen. Moron."

But realistic injuries that could happen IRL? They get to me.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. I hate scary movies. I'm easily frightened. I think part of it is genetic. It's not BECAUSE she's INTP, but rather that she might be INTP because she's shy. I've noticed a pretty high incidence of shyness over at INTPcentral; although it's certainly not a random sample, I think it's telling.

I have a feeling that the NT machine builds itself around anxiety as a method of reducing and controlling it. Not in everyone, but in a bunch of people.
Awww... I miss Edahn.

I hate them too. Mostly, I just don't see the point. I've never understood why one would pay to be "frightened" or what people get out of gruesome gore.

But most INTPs seem to be into horror.

Eris

MBTI Type
IsTP
I used to be afraid of spiders and was paranoid that there were cameras all over my house and in public bathrooms and stuff. Now I'm over both.

Currently, I'm not really afraid of anything in particular, and I think I get scared too easily. I don't really like horror movies, not because I'm afraid of them, but because I always get so angry with how stupid the characters in them are that I just end up yelling at the TV screen and wishing they'd get their heads lopped off sooner. Plus, they tend to be kind of predictable. And I guess the fact that I don't mind gore kind of desensitizes the situation.

Although I will say that I rung up some cheerleaders at JCPenney a couple of months ago. I can tolerate pretty much anyone, but they were beyond enthusiastic and cheerful. They were nice and seemed like alright people, but they had so much enthusiasm that oozed in such excess that it invaded my invisible psychological barrier. I don't really know how to describe it, but they just kind of freaked me out. I think if I saw another cheerleader, I'm sure I'd be just a little scared. o_o;;

BÃ¥rris

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
The only real phobia I have is acrophobia (for those of you that don't know, it's being scared of heights).
Whenever I watch scary movies, I take in everything about them, then afterwards I try to rationalize all the stuff that scared me

alakazam

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
Adding another anecdote, I can't watch slasher flicks without them lingering for years! It seems to feed certain paranoid tendencies, I suppose, created by an active imagination.

I can't watch slasher flicks without laughing my head off!