• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do You Feel Much In Your Dreams?

rav3n

hmmm.. interesting how INTJs seem to experience intense emotions during dreams, while INTP dreams seem to be lacking emotions.
Unless you're trying to tell me something, that would be xNTJs. :tongue:

Might the difference be how cognitive functions Fi and Fe react to or where they source emotions from, internally or externally?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
sometimes i can get really intense feelings in my dreams, but it doesent happen that often. its not always like happy, sad, fear or something like that. i remember like 3 years ago i had this dream where i was looking at this scenery that was so beautiful and epic that it took my breath away and the feeling of omfg wow i got from it was really intense

the killer potatoe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
i remember like 3 years ago i had this dream where i was looking at this scenery that was so beautiful and epic that it took my breath away and the feeling of omfg wow i got from it was really intense

That's called "mushrooms" and it's also why xNTx's tend to like doing them, it lets the N take a new path through F as opposed to it's usual T.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's called "mushrooms" and it's also why xNTx's tend to like doing them, it lets the N take a new path through F as opposed to it's usual T.

i wasnt on shrooms. i had been smoking weed daily for about 3 weeks and stopped. usually when i smoke daily i dont have dreams, but when i stop its like one or two nights after i see really intense dreams.
and psychedelics doesent really make N take new path through F, i believe that they make it easier for each function to work on their own by lowering the energy cost of the lower functions or in other words making the processes run more deeply without much effort by removing some of these "stoppers" that normally stop thoughts going too far away

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Feeling while dreaming is pretty common for me. I have vivid memories of experiencing drymouth, burning sensations, pinching, cracking, poking, and many other sensations while dreaming.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Feeling while dreaming is pretty common for me. I have vivid memories of experiencing drymouth, burning sensations, pinching, cracking, poking, and many other sensations while dreaming.

Are you talking about experiencing physical sensations or emotions?
Those aren't the same thing.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Are you talking about experiencing physical sensations or emotions?
Those aren't the same thing.

Primarily physical sensations

There is definitely emotion in dreaming, but its a lot easier to describe sensations.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I feel immensely in dreams. Profound sadness, radiant happiness, fear, love, lust...

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yep, I feel stuff in my dreams. One time, I dreamt that a friend of mine was hitting on my ( back then) girlfriend.
He's like... Very unlikely to do that, and he isn't at all attractive, which makes it weirder.
Anyway, I wake up from this dream by my phone ringing. It's the guy that in my dream just tried to steal my girlfriend.
Boy, was it hard to re-adjust. I mumbled some cursewords and clicked him away ;D
Then like after a few seconds I realized it was just a dream :D

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I don't think I feel any more or less in my dreams. I have been overwhelmed by emotions in dream ,though, as I have no way to calm myself or control an outburst of emotion in a dream the way I can while awake. Terror and extreme happiness are more common in dreams.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

There doesn't seem to be a big correlation between which type feels more in the dream than I thought there might be, eh it was just thought I was having. In reading though I saw something else. I would like to run an experiment if you will let me :yes:. If you remember, go through the emotions that you had during your day before you go to bed and then tell me if you did, or did not dream. I wonder if dealing with the emotions beforehand does nullify the reason to dream.

the killer potatoe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
i wasnt on shrooms. i had been smoking weed daily for about 3 weeks and stopped. usually when i smoke daily i dont have dreams, but when i stop its like one or two nights after i see really intense dreams.
and psychedelics doesent really make N take new path through F, i believe that they make it easier for each function to work on their own by lowering the energy cost of the lower functions or in other words making the processes run more deeply without much effort by removing some of these "stoppers" that normally stop thoughts going too far away

I wasn't serious about you being on shrooms, I knew you meant dreaming, and the whole spiel about the N and the path through F was merely me thinking aloud too myself, primarily out of my ass. (What can I say though, I'm an INTP, isn't that we are known for doing?)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Interesting topic.

I experience intense feelings in a lot of my dreams - to the point where I wake up still overwhelmed by them and it takes me a few minutes to come to my senses. Rarely do I even come close to feeling anything like that in my awake world.

I've read that if you don't jerk off enough, it will increase your chances of having wet dreams, since that's your body's way of "releasing the pressure valve". I think the same happens to me with my feelings - since they are firmly suppressed in my day to day life, they burst out while I'm dreaming.

I understand this completely. Perhaps I should burst out with.."you really are a stupid motherfucker aren't you?" here and there during the day. It might keep ENFJ man from saying.."I'm going to go in the guest room for my own safety for the rest of the night."

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most of my dreams concern tragic happenings (deaths, losses, failures etc.). Even so, like ReflecttcelfeR, I usually feel nothing in my dreams.

This... I think. I can't really remember feeling much of anything, even though many of my dreams are (objectively) horrifying. Sometimes I wake up feeling uneasy or angry at someone who was in my dream - but that is after the fact. I don't have a very rich emotional vocabulary, sadly...

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I remember one dream specifically. I was being chased by a man with a chainsaw and though most would be terrified I don't remember me being as such. I knew he was chasing me and I ran, and he didn't catch up until I hit a wall and woke up, hahaha. I was nervous perhaps, but not near as much as I should be. I don't know if there is any symbolism behind dreams, but I'd say that they connect with emotional turmoil that occurs while awake. I suppose if you feel like you have things handled in your waking life there is no reason to express anything in your dream to alert you to what you might have overlooked.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I think I'm alone in this thread in saying that I feel very strongly in my dreams (when I feel anything at all, that is. All or nothing). Terror or elation or grief seem to be the main ones.

I also have very strong sensation while dreaming - stuff I touch feels more concrete and real than anything I encounter while awake. In comparison, I don't actually see or hear a whole lot; I remember bits and pieces of things I saw or stuff I heard in my dreams, but I'll remember physical sensation vividly. Maybe it's just because it's more interesting or rare compared to normal "dream fare" :tongue:. Seeing as I don't remember my dreams very often, I can't be sure.

G

Ginkgo

In my dreams, I am always either a tree, a sociopath, or both. So no.

T

ThatGirl

I am a lucid dreamer at times, and a cryptic one others.

Sometimes I eat loads of chocolate right before bed just so sleeping is a little bit more interesting.

Usually the emotions I feel in my dreams come from a base perspective. Like a dulled down, more simplistic, solid version of what I feel when I am awake. There have only been a handful of dreams where I have felt them so intensely it will cause me to wake up in the same emotional state. Usually those are my REALLY deep and intense dreams. The feeling can even linger for a couple days following. Usually those emotions were something I should probably be paying attention to.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I wonder. Is it the emotion in a dream that makes it more realistic, or is it the actual probability of the dream occuring in real life that makes it seem real? If it's both, which is it more of, if any? I know of those who wake up and believe something occured because they were sure the emotion they had was real and (what happens to me) the dream is realistic so much so that you can't help but wonder for a while if it did.