• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do You Feel Much In Your Dreams?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I was talking with this to some people at work. The main conversation was about weird dreams in general, but when looking at most of my dreams I'm extremely detached from myself. Even when I am myself in my dreams I don't really feel anything, emotions mainly and I didn't know if this was something others have felt as well. I find it strange :huh:.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I've been dreaming a lot when I was a child but then I seized to do that. Just lately at older age I started to dream again. I figured always when a lot in my life is changing and I have to process a lot of new information the dreaming gets more extensive. What I did do all over the time is dreaming about a thing thats on my mind to fall asleep. Like a new toy as a kid or a thing I want to build.

Detached I get the moment I notice it is a dream, but this usually takes time. My gf suffers from heavy nightmares sometimes and this happened even three times in only one night. Then I wonder why she wont recognize while sleeping it's just a dream. But I guess the use of a Feeling function does pülay a pivotal role in this. I know from myself that what I can feel, feels more real to me and nightmares tend to know exactly what scares the crap out of me. So when waking up then drenched in sweat and so shocked I cant fall asleep again for the rest of the night.

I dont think you're retarded in some way because you feel detached from your dreams, I basically think dreaming is a brains way to cope with things and the dreams meaning itself doesnt really tell you what the brain actually is doing right now. I find people who interprete dreams hilarious, I of course could believe that a dream means something if I want to, but I dont want to. I think it comes in phases, sometimes you are more detached and sometimes you will be more involved, one thing's for sure tho: everybody dreams and when you get older and life changes for you, I promise you the nightmares will come back :)

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Interesting topic.

I experience intense feelings in a lot of my dreams - to the point where I wake up still overwhelmed by them and it takes me a few minutes to come to my senses. Rarely do I even come close to feeling anything like that in my awake world.

I've read that if you don't jerk off enough, it will increase your chances of having wet dreams, since that's your body's way of "releasing the pressure valve". I think the same happens to me with my feelings - since they are firmly suppressed in my day to day life, they burst out while I'm dreaming.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Wow. Edgar has feelings.

I suspected this all along.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's okay to have feelings.

There's nothing wrong or weird about it.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

*watches as edgar runs to hide*

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I sometimes feel emotions in my dreams, but not often. A lot of my dreams are actually sex dreams (See Edgars post) and they are rarely emotive experiences.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Most of my dreams concern tragic happenings (deaths, losses, failures etc.). Even so, like ReflecttcelfeR, I usually feel nothing in my dreams.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
For me, my dreams are pure perception and impulse. I may emerge from dreams with realizations that have emotional content though. But I don't think I experience "feeling" while I am asleep.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't remember much of my dreams, but from what I do remember, I feel things, and often strongly feel. I think my dreams are a way of accessing my deep down feelings on things that I tend to suppress in real life.

Einnas

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4~9
I tend to remember everything from my dreams even though they change during my sleep. Sometimes I am not aware of it being a dream because it feels so real. When I get hurt in my dream I really feel pain and sometimes it wakes me. Then the pain is gone but the tears are stil to be foundl on my pillow, and I remember being shot or something. A few weeks ago I dreamt some guy shot me and it took ages for me to die and wake up. it was cruel :shock:

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Sometimes yes! Mostly frustrated and angry or extremely sad.
Frustrated because I would never reach the goal before the dream would end.
Sad... I woke up weeping after something really ridiculous (I've forgotten the dream already). The first thing I thought when I woke up was - this doesn't make any sense! You should laugh at it! But I couldn't stop myself - I was immensely sad, never mind the 'reason' was just a dream and even not a very sad one!
Strangest thing is, the night before that I dreamed that I had a spontaneous abortion and I felt just a bit annoyed by the fact everything was covered in blood and would be a pain to clean up. Also I was thinking about how to break it to husband - the cleaning up problem, that is. No sadness at all. Emotions are weird, especially in dreams.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Reading over this I begin to wonder if the more expressive you are when you're awake effects how much you feel (mainly emotions again as I for some reason I don't think it's possible not to feel physical impulses no matter how hard one tries) in the dream. Like Edgar mentioned, could it be a valve? I also believe the theories that some of you brought up about the events that you can't figure out in waking life are being connected while asleep, or at least you are still trying to abstract your way through the thoughts. I suppose these make sense for me as I am rather emotive, I try not to hold back the emotions I have, or feel and I do my best to think about my day, though you still dream, I remember none of it. I try to put the pieces together before sleep. Does any of this ring true to others?

rav3n

Interesting topic.

I experience intense feelings in a lot of my dreams - to the point where I wake up still overwhelmed by them and it takes me a few minutes to come to my senses. Rarely do I even come close to feeling anything like that in my awake world.

I've read that if you don't jerk off enough, it will increase your chances of having wet dreams, since that's your body's way of "releasing the pressure valve". I think the same happens to me with my feelings - since they are firmly suppressed in my day to day life, they burst out while I'm dreaming.
I agree with this although in real life, there have been periods of intense connections and emotions.

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Most of my dreams concern tragic happenings (deaths, losses, failures etc.).
Same here, but...

Even so, like ReflecttcelfeR, I usually feel nothing in my dreams.
My dreams can be emotionally excruciating, for lack of a better term. I feel far more acute senses of fear, disgust, disappointment, embarrassment, etc than during consciousness. Occasionally I'll awaken with my pulse racing in a near-panic. This sensation isn't a "night terror" (I've had those too, much more rarely). Rather it is a direct reaction to the imagery and emotional provocation of my dream state.

What really sucks is that this can often ruin an otherwise perfectly decent night's sleep.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My dreams are, for the most part, extremely intense. Some of the emotions I feel in my dreams will carry on into my day sometimes, which causes me to wonder 'Why do I feel so happy/sad/angry/hopeless/hopeful today? Nothing really happened, just an ordinary day, but that dream I had last night was so weird and intense.' Even if I don't remember the dream, I know I usually wake up feeling however I did about the dream.

It can get really bad, as events in the dreams can get easily confused with events in real life, and then I start doing things that my dreams told me to do...oh wait...that's not schizophrenia, is it? :shock:

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I often fluctuate between the intensity of my dreams. It's split pretty evenly and I've noticed that the happenings in my dreams correlate with the occurrences of my day.
The days where I'm feeling exceptionally detached and do everything within my power to block out my feelings, I tend to dream horrific intense things that leave me in a confusing place when I wake up. I wake up unsure what is reality because the dream was so real, and emotionally upsetting, that I can't remember for the briefest moment if it all really happened.
The days where I allow myself to talk about how I'm feeling, I dream surreal events -- generally still having to do with the negativity or positivity of the emotions, but it's in a way where I know I'm dreaming and remain completely detached.

the killer potatoe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
hmmm.. interesting how INTJs seem to experience intense emotions during dreams, while INTP dreams seem to be lacking emotions.

I was noticing that as well. I have not felt emotion beyond fear or joy in any of my dreams (to the best of my recolectionthat is) but I have felt physical sensation before (grabbing items, being kicked, falling, etc...)
One thing that's always irked me is when I dream I've found a rather large sum of money and hold onto it, when I awake my hand is still clutched and due to the recent grog of sleep I hope. This hope is always immediately and completely dashed to my dismay when I open my hand and fully realize how ridiculus my expectation has been.