• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Of caring and the lack of it

the killer potatoe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I have drawn several conclusions lately, firstly of which is that I just fundamentally don't care. I realize the few times I care about things there are some questions I ask myself subconciously. I ask things such as, is there money coming my way from this? is this important to me? am I interested beyond the puzzle of the situation/question/statement? I find most of the time the answears I get back are a flat no. Primarilly this has helped me learn patients beyond my years, tolerance, flexibility, and has greatly decreased stress in my life.

I'm not really asking a question, but I am curious as to how other people figure out were they invest their time and attention and mental wellbeing. Their caring.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
The one thing I consistently care about aside from other people, is my freedom. Freedom to do what I want in the moment, whether it is financial freedom, if I have to borrow the car from someone, ditching class etc.

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
I don't invest anytime on anything if I know I don't get anything out of it. My mind these days just don't care about anything and it feels really good but empty at the same time. I think for INTP you have to have almost impossible goal. Like I'm smart but I don't ever educate myself on small things. I use all my energy on that ONE impossible goal that no one ever achieved.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think I'm the opposite from the people who have posted so far, perhaps as you'd expect from my type. I find myself caring a great deal about many things that I either 1) stress out and wonder what to do or 2) seriously prioritize. I go about prioritizing mostly through "gut feel" (Ni?), and make sure that the logic follows (can I pay the bills? am I overcommitting? is the effect on my family one that I am okay with? does this get me to the next step?).

I'm guessing this discussion isn't about people, just about things?

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
I'm indifferent to whether I care or not.

Seriously, though... I put good effort into doing stuff (studying for a test, pushing through a 5k, lifting heavy things regularly) and I get disappointed with myself if I don't perform. That means I care, right?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I'm indifferent to whether I care or not.

Seriously, though... I put good effort into doing stuff (studying for a test, pushing through a 5k, lifting heavy things regularly) and I get disappointed with myself if I don't perform. That means I care, right?

Tangental, but there. I used to force myself not to care, now my apathy has changed to your position as well. If I care then I analyze that, if I didn't then there was a reason for that. This seems natural to me though.

the killer potatoe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'm guessing this discussion isn't about people, just about things?

You're guessing right, sort of, I do not generally seperate the two but I did mean things primarily. If yo would like to includepeople into the equation then by all means feel free to do so.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mostly i care a great deal about things and people. I feel strongly about humankind in general and my friends and family.
Actual things as in objects i have no great affection for unless sentimental, i'm not materialistic in the slightest so my goals are not money orientated.
Although at times i feel incredibly apathetic, the whole world could implode and i just wouldn't give a shit...but thats rare.

the killer potatoe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Personally, I prefer people predicting my moves as they see it as reliability, then if the mood stricks me I can easily become unpredictable too my own ends.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
So caring for others means for an intp being strategically predictable to look reliable ?

the killer potatoe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Not inherently, but it can. I actually genuinely care about a few things and some people, but I'm selfish enough to not care if I'm supposed to or not. The tact involved in it is when I don't care and I want someone to think I do and vice versa. Most lately though I have been too lazy for tact or the enigmatic arts. I have found it fun in the past, but as of late it has not been important to me or even a focus at all (showing its self as a lack of caring).

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
ok, I am just wondering what to do with intp threads. It's often that an intp starts a thread like "I dont care for anybody" and then 300 other intp's reply: "Yes me too" and then the thread is dead. It's a logical discrepancy in itself because why then even bother to start a thread like that ?!

I've sometimes the feeling with intps they want to tell me something, but when I ask, I get the response "Close your mouth or a fly flies in it". But I'm learning, one day I've figured you guys out :)

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I care about things that interest me.
I care about people I like.
I care about people being accurate and honest.
I care about my principles being violated as little as possible.
I care about survival and my own personal happiness.
I care about those who are suffering.

Those are the main things I care about.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ Good list!

I would also add: I care about being competent in (insert favorite activity).

the killer potatoe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
ok, I am just wondering what to do with intp threads. It's often that an intp starts a thread like "I dont care for anybody" and then 300 other intp's reply: "Yes me too" and then the thread is dead. It's a logical discrepancy in itself because why then even bother to start a thread like that ?!

I've sometimes the feeling with intps they want to tell me something, but when I ask, I get the response "Close your mouth or a fly flies in it". But I'm learning, one day I've figured you guys out :)
I can see where your comming from, but the reason I started this thread is because I was meaning to figure out some base principles, see if my INTJ friend is right in that it's neiter healthy or normal to not care about nearly anything.

I care about things that interest me.
I care about people I like.
I care about people being accurate and honest.
I care about my principles being violated as little as possible.
I care about survival and my own personal happiness.
I care about those who are suffering.

Those are the main things I care about.

^ Good list!

I would also add: I care about being competent in (insert favorite activity).

Quite. Now the question is how did you (being anyone reading this) arrive at these conclusions? Or have they just always been that way?