• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Can you give some examples of multiple perspective?

Lao

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hello. I am an STJ wandering in here, hoping for advice on improving my "N".

I've read that INTJ's are masters of looking at problems/issues from multiple pespectives and multiple solutions. I was wondering if you could provide me with some examples of this? Perhaps you can help me with improving my "N"...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can you post an example for which you like to see alternate perspectives offered?

Lao

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Can you post an example for which you like to see alternate perspectives offered?

Well... I'm not really sure...

Let's take traffic for example. To a reply to someone asking: "What is your solution to our city's traffic mess?" The way I would do it, always, is to allude to concrete facts and occurrences in the real world. So I'd start out by saying something like, "Well, we have all sorts of examples in metropolitan cities throughout the world with what works and what doesn't. For example, in Singapore, where they have successfully implemented congestion pricing, they have seen commute times drop to record lows..."

I guess even if I had any ideas on traffic, I would immediately stop any such thoughts on it if there were no examples in the world where they had either been implemented, or implemented and were successful...

Last edited:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
next day can start when clock hits the 00:00 or it can start when you wake up.

night starts technically when the sun goes down, but there can also be a set time when people usually consider night to start. like it can get dark here in finland at 3pm in the winter, technically the night starts at that time, but people dont usually think that 3pm is when the night time starts.

my intj friend simply cant see that there can be different perspectives to these two things, he says that the next day starts when clock hits 00:00 and there is set time when night starts, because night cant start at 3pm.. so i dont really think intjs are masters of looking things from different perspectives. they may try to find a solution to problems from different perspectives tho, but there is only one correct answer, due to the all mighty all knowing Te.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
When one hates their job and desperately wants a new one:

(a) I could look vigorously for a new job while I'm still employed and then try to "transition" from one job right into the next (for purposes of stability, etc.)

(b) I could just quit my job right now on the spot because I only live once and if I hate what I'm doing, then I'm not really living much of a life. Therefore, quit and know that something will indeed come along. (Some very successful entrepreneurs have been homeless at one point or another before they made their money, for example. They'd rather be homeless and working on what they love than to be in a house and hating what they do).

(c) I could quit my job and take that part-time position at the gas station for now. It doesn't pay much, but it will free up some of my time to look for something else or maybe spend more time with friends, etc.

(d) I could quit and take a vacation to Europe for a month. Then come back and look for work. Yeah, I've always wanted to do that.

The list could go on. When brainstorming something like this, every single option should be out on the table and up for discussion. Only considering 2 options when, indeed, there are hundreds, only limits you. 100 ways to skin a cat, as they say.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well if all the people wouldn't live in one single place we wouldn't have big traffic issues would we?!

At least this is the case in Romania.

lets eat pie

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w6
On addressing traffic problem: Why are there so many cars on the road? Is it a sign of a growing economy where more people are buying cars because they have more money and want the car as a status symbol? Is there a stigma in utilizing public transportation, and if so, in what ways can it be removed? Is the infrastructure outdated or insufficient to suit the demands of today's population? If improvement measures are made, how will they fare 10, 20 years and beyond into the future? What new technologies can help drivers reach their destinations more quickly and safely? How can we improve response to accidents and traffic bypassing? What new car designs will take up less space and run more efficiently on less fuel? Or simply: Why drive at all? Then we can get into entirely new ways of transport without the use of four wheels and an engine.

N thinking is in nutshell: brainstorming, lateral thinking, free-association, thinking of the myriad of things as they relate to each other in context to a situation (the big picture.) Most of the time it's asking questions, finding answers and then launching another barrage of questions, again and again.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Half the time, N is just about being unrealistic.

Well... I'm not really sure...

Let's take traffic for example. To a reply to someone asking: "What is your solution to our city's traffic mess?" The way I would do it, always, is to allude to concrete facts and occurrences in the real world. So I'd start out by saying something like, "Well, we have all sorts of examples in metropolitan cities throughout the world with what works and what doesn't. For example, in Singapore, where they have successfully implemented congestion pricing, they have seen commute times drop to record lows..."

I guess even if I had any ideas on traffic, I would immediately stop any such thoughts on it if there were no examples in the world where they had either been implemented, or implemented and were successful...

I immediatly thought of elevated highways on top of ground level highways so you'd have to levels of highways, twice the capacity on regular highways. The elevated highways have fewer exits so less people will go on them, which allows for them to be made smaller and cheaper. Off course the costs are still big, but probably nothing compared to the economic loss experienced when everybody has to be in a traffic jam all the time.

Thinking of a guy named Rory Sutherland (look up his TED talks, they're hilarious), I just came up with an idea: Make highways a lot narrower so they're way cheaper to build and maintain and use the money you save to hire models, both male and female, to serve the waiting people caviar!

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Solution to traffic:

Step 1: Tax cars by usage. Make it more expensive to drive within the city.
Step 2: Make public transportation free and effective.
Step 3: Don't allow single person to buy a vehicle meant for five.
Step 4: Plan the city so that there is no need to commute.

rav3n

A possible approach is to look at the problem as a whole. Then break it down into causes. Once you understand the causes, you then have some flexibility to consider multiple possibilities.

If you source externally for solutions, better to break down those solutions too, so you can ensure they're a good fit.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
next day can start when clock hits the 00:00 or it can start when you wake up.

night starts technically when the sun goes down, but there can also be a set time when people usually consider night to start. like it can get dark here in finland at 3pm in the winter, technically the night starts at that time, but people dont usually think that 3pm is when the night time starts.

my intj friend simply cant see that there can be different perspectives to these two things, he says that the next day starts when clock hits 00:00 and there is set time when night starts, because night cant start at 3pm.. so i dont really think intjs are masters of looking things from different perspectives. they may try to find a solution to problems from different perspectives tho, but there is only one correct answer, due to the all mighty all knowing Te.

Well speaking technically night starts at 6:00 PM (since night is the darker half of a day and 6:00 PM - 6:00 AM is the darkest 12 hours in general) and The day ends/starts at 00:00, a time set to supposedly be the middle of night, when the sun is directly opposite. The other interpretations are perhaps colloquially valid as ways to make terms based on perception (therefore night starts when the sun goes, which can change depending on season, and the day starts when the person begins to experience it) but they are not technically correct.

T

ThatGirl

I am not analyzing a traffic issue.

Here is what you do. Work the problem from back to front. What are all the possible outcomes? Any possible thing that could possibly happen in this scenario.

Then look at the situation and what the common threads are between all possible solutions. This is the base issue, that all solutions are contingent upon.

Then fill in the blanks starting with the most desired outcome, and maybe the next three preferred. That way if the ideal doesn't work you aren't back at square one. You are halfway to a different solution.

So you look at what you are working with, where you need to get to, and what are the flexible middle guts.

So to answer the question. It starts with analyzing all possible solutions, then prioritizing them. This objectivity leads to more well rounded practical solutions.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The above sounds like a Ne-based approach. As a Ni-dom, I more frequently step back from the whole problem to see a bigger picture. For the traffic example given, I might ask questions like: is traffic here really a mess? In what sense? Are the phenomena people are including in the designation "mess" really negative? What undesirable aspects are most critical to address? I then look for the seeds of solutions within the problem and its context directly, often with deliberate disregard of other instances. I don't want my internal brainstorming clouded by what others have done or what's happened elsewhere. After generating some ideas this way, I will then consider comparable situations and the solutions of others.