• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Countering the introverted tendency with brain training??

A. Zhang

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Something about this tells me working-memory training is a good step in the right direction.

I never really thought about that, but that's because my base was INTJ.

You can try it, but there's one thing I must stress, experience.

In other words, get out there and DO SOMETHING!

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
I never really thought about that, but that's because my base was INTJ.

You can try it, but there's one thing I must stress, experience.

In other words, get out there and DO SOMETHING!

Ti: nuuuuuuuu! leave me in my solipistic sheeelllll!
Ne: But think of the women! Think of the children!
Ti: THE CHILDREN!?!?!
Ne: ... good point. But set mee freeeeee!

True story(tm).

A. Zhang

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Ok, I assumed you read up on your profile and the ENTP profile.

I also assume that from previous posts, you have sufficient social skills.

Go tell someone your brilliant crazy ideas, tell me how it works out.

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
Ok, I assumed you read up on your profile and the ENTP profile.

I also assume that from previous posts, you have sufficient social skills.

Go tell someone your brilliant crazy ideas, tell me how it works out.

Which ones? :p

Edit: I admit it's easier to be an ENTP online than off. I doubt online and offline alter-egos are especially conducive.

A. Zhang

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Which ones? :p

Hmmm....

Let's see, in the case of a social situation, your brilliant intuition should be enough to constantly have enough ideas to keep a conversation, but back to the topic....

First, us, because we're on your side.

Then, (sorry, you're gonna have to run before you crawl), jump in with an acquaintance and try to follow the conversation along, with your brilliant intuition, of course.

Important thing though, try to realize when it is a good time to end a conversation, and end it well.

A. Zhang

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Seriously though, experience.

In the beginning of my junior year, you know what I did?

Say hi and introduce myself to the random stranger sitting next to me in my new classes. Seriously....

Now I have no shortage of friends.

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
Hmmm....

Let's see, in the case of a social situation, your brilliant intuition should be enough to constantly have enough ideas to keep a conversation, but back to the topic....

First, us, because we're on your side.

Then, (sorry, you're gonna have to run before you crawl), jump in with an acquaintance and try to follow the conversation along, with your brilliant intuition, of course.

Important thing though, try to realize when it is a good time to end a conversation, and end it well.

You've done some thought on this.

Anyway, I'm trying to get out of the "Walking Encyclopedia" style of conversation, where I just blurt facts and quotes. I think it's important to have an opinion, as poorly thought out as it could be. My current "Mouth from the South" style viewpoint is that certain mental diseases (schizophrenia, bipolar, aspergers) shouldn't be cured, and they're primarily targeted due to social stigma rather than medical need. It gets some veins flowing.

Also I'm trying to think of as many compliments for the Nazis as possible.:jew:

A. Zhang

MBTI Type
ENTJ
it's never more important what you say as when and how you say it.

The most important thing in a conversation is follow the flow of it.

Say what comes naturally, because more often than not, what you thought of saying will completely derail it.

If you do have something in mind to talk about, edge the target into the subject, never attack them with it on the get-go.

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
it's never more important what you say as when and how you say it.

The most important thing in a conversation is follow the flow of it.

Say what comes naturally, because more often than not, what you thought of saying will completely derail it.

If you do have something in mind to talk about, edge the target into the subject, never attack them with it on the get-go.

The Game?

A. Zhang

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I came back home last night from a home field football game against a rival school.

After a 10-year winning streak, we got pounded and lost, 43-0. Nothing special to be said there, other than the fact that I met a new friend :).

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
Not what I meant, but OK.

Anyway, your main a point is that just to consistently to engage one's social skills. I think somehow I should just be content with the response I get rather than trying to orchestrate a response.

Thanks for the comments so far, I appreciate it and am open to more.

A. Zhang

MBTI Type
ENTJ
you got it. Build a habit. Jump in there.

That's all, now I gotta finish my damn homework. I had 4 friends come by unexpectedly, and had to treat them to an hour or two on my trampoline....

Ace Zhang, signing off....

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
you can get better at anything with focused, conscientious practice.

</wisdom>

Barlwooh

I dont think just "jumping in" works that well. Lots of weird situations when the odd hippie from the corner who never talks just pops in during a convo. But the thing thats made me more social lately, besides unnatural use of alcohol, has been training Ne.

Every INTP knows how to do it, on the occasion when we feel secure were basically ENTP's. We dont need "training" on how to use Ne, but kind of when to use it. I realized that when this ENTJ made sarcastic remarks on everything my teacher said on a psychology class, while i sat comfortably hazed in my Ti. I was feeding my Ti by thinking of something completely useless, while the ENTJ got his satisfaction by the outside stimuli.

Every INTP has social connections, okay not that sure, but the point. Every INTP knows the strange satisfaction you get from using Ne and making people giggle, its like heroine injected to your frontal lobe. BUT we just dont use Ne as often as ENTP's, so in my opinion the first step is trying to force yourself out of that comfortable hellish gorge of Ti, and SEEK for situations which make using Ne possible, and the biggest point is getting that satisfaction out of it. Makes you want to have more. See whats around, everything can be turned into something beautifully irrelevant and silly when using Ne. Just socializing doesnt make you an E, consciously increasing the usage of the second function makes you an E, I's can be social too, right?

And my experiences with my adventure into the tempting world of ENTP'ness? I've got kicked in the head by an ESTJ woman who apparently really appreciated my sense of humour, and people have started calling me insensitive, dunno why. I also have a flu, not sure how that's connected but i remain suspicious.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I dont think just "jumping in" works that well. Lots of weird situations when the odd hippie from the corner who never talks just pops in during a convo. But the thing thats made me more social lately, besides unnatural use of alcohol, has been training Ne.

Every INTP knows how to do it, on the occasion when we feel secure were basically ENTP's. We dont need "training" on how to use Ne, but kind of when to use it. I realized that when this ENTJ made sarcastic remarks on everything my teacher said on a psychology class, while i sat comfortably hazed in my Ti. I was feeding my Ti by thinking of something completely useless, while the ENTJ got his satisfaction by the outside stimuli.

Every INTP has social connections, okay not that sure, but the point. Every INTP knows the strange satisfaction you get from using Ne and making people giggle, its like heroine injected to your frontal lobe. BUT we just dont use Ne as often as ENTP's, so in my opinion the first step is trying to force yourself out of that comfortable hellish gorge of Ti, and SEEK for situations which make using Ne possible, and the biggest point is getting that satisfaction out of it. Makes you want to have more. See whats around, everything can be turned into something beautifully irrelevant and silly when using Ne. Just socializing doesnt make you an E, consciously increasing the usage of the second function makes you an E, I's can be social too, right?

And my experiences with my adventure into the tempting world of ENTP'ness? I've got kicked in the head by an ESTJ woman who apparently really appreciated my sense of humour, and people have started calling me insensitive, dunno why. I also have a flu, not sure how that's connected but i remain suspicious.

That!

Idontcare

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6

That's pretty much how it worked for me. I switched schools and decided to try and be social. it worked.

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
But could we affect that threshold? The brain is so very, very plastic.

But how plastic is the question. One shouldn't need to toy around with the brain circuits that much. Given that we don't know much about the brain, shouldn't we be more cautious in taking these chemical interventions? :9436:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i dont have time to read much now, but introverts are introverted because of much stimuli, so they get more anxious when there is alot stimuli coming from the outer world also. extroverts have low stimuli coming from inside, so they seeks stimuli from outside world to keep them from being under stimulated.