• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] for the womenz

T

ThatGirl

I think women over exaggerate the whole birthing process. The way I viewed it was scared shitless beforehand, couldn't think straight enough during to really stop and revel in it, then badass afterward.

I think people disregard the fact that our bodies are equipped to do this. Giving birth takes on a momentum of its own, and you feel instantly back to normal afterward. Its pretty amazing when you break it down analytically, but that is hardly on your mind during.

Billions of women have done this for ages without being scared for life over it. That has to tell you something.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like babies. I think I'd enjoy having the feeling of an alien being growing and moving inside; that part sounds like a fun adventure. What scares me is pushing it out (or getting it cut out) :eek:

I described my daughter's birth as something right out of a sci-fi movie, it was the coolest thing ever!

I just doubt I'd be able to appreciate it in the same way as a participant though...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Billions of women have done this for ages without being scared for life over it. That has to tell you something.

Scarred or scared?

Just because bilions of women have done it doesn't mean they liked it. Some do. Some don't.

Until recently, many didn't even much have a choice even about getting pregnant or bearing children; and let's remember that "natural childbirth" had a much higher mortality rate for mother and child. You think they weren't scared?

But it's just the way the world was, and it was what a woman did, and so she did it without fighting it so much. I think it's harder now to do it if you don't want to, since you have more options and know you might be able to avoid it. People embrace their fates far easier when they feel they can't escape them.

T

ThatGirl

Scarred. Sorry.

I am just saying it is something our bodies are prepared for. It's a natural function we are predisposed to as females. It isn't as crazy as women make it seem.

Yeah, there are horror stories, but no more in giving birth then there are in life in general. There are no absolutes. But I think the current population size can confirm that there are more successful births then failed ones. Otherwise the population would be a standard rate.

Then again, I may be a bit biased, as I am a freakishly efficient alpha female.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am just saying it is something our bodies are prepared for. It's a natural function we are predisposed to as females. It isn't as crazy as women make it seem.

And this is what helped me in the end. Body told mind to "shut up and let me do this!" It worked...with some help from CBE and a very nice doula.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really didn't enjoy my pregnancies physically, i'm quite short so i just fell like a big round doddering object, esp towards the end. I was also not very well, i'm just not suited to it. That being said, i loved having a baby growing inside of me, imagining all of the features forming and wowing out thinking about their futures. I also really enjoyed the fact i could already have an impact on their learning, like reading out loud to them and playing music...that was fun. The births were just terrible and after the first one it was worse because then i knew how bad it could be. But again i then had the most amazing overpowering feeling of love for this tiny being completely dependant on me for everything. Babies are miracles.

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
Billions of women have done this for ages without being scared for life over it.

Given the mortality rates for women in childbirth over most of human history, we would then have to suppose the average woman was incapable of observation and extrapolation: not likely. I'll bet a lot of women have been (rightly) afraid for their lives. Not that I'm saying that's my problem. My problem is finding it gross, weird, and uncomfortable.

However, your opinion is noted.

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
Yeah, there are horror stories, but no more in giving birth then there are in life in general. There are no absolutes. But I think the current population size can confirm that there are more successful births then failed ones. Otherwise the population would be a standard rate.

Not sure that's a comforting though, exactly... ;)

It certainly is "natural" enough, but it's still a huge strain on the body. As they teach in med school, there are three kinds of people: men, women, and pregnant women.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I have always found the idea of being pregnant horrifying. I think it may actually be a phobia - the thought of having a little person growing inside me, leeching my energy reserves to serve its needs gives me the creeps. Added to that I'm not even sure I want to RAISE a child just yet, I can say for sure that pregnancy is not something I'll be considering any time soon.

Funnily enough, I have no problems with pregnant ladies. It's just when I'm faced with the prospect of being pregnant I get all squeamish :tongue:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
It's so hard to really pinpoint a single birth experience as a definitive ... I have friends who LOVED it. Seriously. One friend said she could have had 10 kids no sweat; looked forward to labour and delivery. She would be a surrogate in a heartbeat.

My experience is more to the middle I would say. Both of my labours were 12 hours, not super long but long enough. An 11th hour (literally) epidural in the first and natural for my second, to prove I was tough (yeah!) Birthing takes over your body, and you realize you have to give over to the power of the process. But it's so individual for each person. It is weird to imagine this little baby inside you; your body makes changes to accommodate them, not always comfortable; near the end you just want the baby to get born already!

I grew up on a farm though and saw birthings regularly - maybe that's why it seems natural as a process. But I remember feeling weird to contemplate it happening to me ... I'll grant you that! Experientially interesting though. Too bad we can't make men go through it too!

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Since I was very young, like nine or so, I "knew" I didn't want kids. It didn't make sense to me and I never had the desire. I think babies are cute and I love holding them, but I'd like to be able to give them back after a couple of hours.

I still don't want kids, because I'm not too keen on the thought of devoting 18 years of my life to someone else, who might or might not appreciate that. However, I have been a bit back and forth with this, sometimes I've wanted kids, sometimes I've even wanted to be a single mom. Me and my kid, against the world! But now I'm back to no desire of having kids. I have a lot of things I still wanna do with my life and in life before even thinking about basically giving it away. And the thought of someone else being in control of my life, is scary.

I'm OK with the thought of giving birth. That part does not scare me as much as THE PREGNANCY! No no no! I'm gonna wait until artificial wombs are approved. Or I'll adopt.

Last edited:

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No thanks.

I'm never going to be ready to be a 'host' and wait on a child hand and foot for the rest of my fucking life.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I would want to be pregnant just for a week or so, just to see what it feels like. I've always wondered what it felt like on the inside for a pregnant woman. However, I have never really wanted kids, and am less than thrilled about the idea of labor. I also don't want to be patted by random strangers and told how cute I am, and poked and prodded by an OB/GYN constantly during the pregnancy.

I think NT women very seldom feel that ultra-feminine, earth mother thing that exults in pregnancy. We rarely think of our gender that much, and it would just feel, I don't know, embarrassing? Undignified? to have to carry a kid around for nine months? It sounds weird, but that's the closest I can get to it. Maybe it's what Redbone said, the idea that you have to pay attention to your body, and not focus on your mind.

Anyhoo, I agree, hilo--when I was younger, I never wanted children, but was open to the possibility of changing my mind. Now, I can't really imagine having children. You might as well tell me I will turn into a purple unicorn in a few years as tell me I'll have kids in a few years. Maybe before it was just all theoretical, and now I realize I won't have some major change of heart. If I were going to have kids, I'd have to do it in the next few years, and I really don't see that happening. If I were to meet my soulmate tomorrow, I would want time with him without kids.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seems NT women need to get pregnant by accident, or not at all.
No wonder there are so few of us! :D

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I think babies are cute and I love holding them, but I'd like to be able to give them back after a couple of hours.
This.
I like to babysit, but then there's freedom at the end of it all.

mebbe with a nurturing, work at home pop :smoke:

Dyoni

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Glad that I'm not the only other female that isn't dying to get pregnant. I feel like I don't have a maternal bone in my body. Babies especially horrify me with their constant crying, shitting, oozing...

I work in a photo studio that specializes in family and infant photography. Pretty much all the birth control I need.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
This.
I like to babysit, but then there's freedom at the end of it all.

I also like to play with kids more than I like to be the grownup. I think it would seriously make me want to kill myself to have to be responsible for everything a kid does from the time he gets up in the morning until he goes to bed at night. Being the rule enforcer and having to back the rules up with punishments, having to think up creative ways to entertain them, having to listen to kid music and watch kid shows and listen to kids yelling things when a normal volume would suffice...yeah, I don't think I need to be anyone's mother.

Dogs, on the other hand, are awesome.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I also like to play with kids more than I like to be the grownup. I think it would seriously make me want to kill myself to have to be responsible for everything a kid does from the time he gets up in the morning until he goes to bed at night. Being the rule enforcer and having to back the rules up with punishments, having to think up creative ways to entertain them, having to listen to kid music and watch kid shows and listen to kids yelling things when a normal volume would suffice...yeah, I don't think I need to be anyone's mother.

I don't have a problem being the authority figure (I got a good amount a practice bossing around younger kids :D), but I tend to like kids less the older they get. This is a potential problem.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't even like kids when I was one. :mellow: