• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] "Wow, you're smart"

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
How do you react when someone says this to you?

It doesn't feel like a compliment to me unless I just did something I think is clever.

A shrug and an "apparently so" is my usual response before changing the subject.

Mitzy

brat
MBTI Type
ENTP
its never a compliment for me
people see me and assume i'm a ditz right off the bat
i dont blame em, i can see their reasoning but its a blow to the ego

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm more like "really, what did I do?"
And unless someone can explain to me, why and how I was just smart, they might as well have said "pass the salt" to me.
Unless it's said by someone I value or view as highly intelligent. Then I'm on cloud nine the whole day.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Depends on how smart I think the other person is. If I think he-she's very clever, then it'll surely feel as a compliment.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
"Wow, you're smart" would sound like an insult. "Wow"?! As in, I don't seem smart and it caused this much surprise??

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I thank them and move on with whatever we were doing.

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
Last night I was doing homework at a bar and a tipsy undergrad said it in an attempt to flirt. Reflecting on it, I'm surprised how big a turnoff it was.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
How do you react when someone says this to you?

It doesn't feel like a compliment to me unless I just did something I think is clever.

A shrug and an "apparently so" is my usual response before changing the subject.

Of course it's not a compliment. The word is "astute" god damn it!!!!

;)

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Depends on who says it. Once in a while I'll hear it from a colleague about my work, who understands my work, and I'll take it as a compliment. But I hear equally as often from people who mean, "Wow, I didn't understand all those words you were using or whate you were even talking about."

F

figsfiggyfigs

I see it as a little insulting, not that I even care much.

However, if It's someone I respect and I myself consider intelligent, it's a compliment. and Thank yous are in order! :)

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sarcasm will play it's role.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Sarcasm will play it's role.

I agree. When a friend or close relative of mine says it, I take it as such. (Even when I'm speaking nonsense, I know that I'm right about it)

If it comes from someone I know for the first time, I take it as a compliment.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I haven't heard that one much since school. People who are smart themselves and want to offer a compliment usually say something more specific ("you know alot about X"; or "I'm impressed how well you solved Y problem"). "Wow, you're smart" is usually spoken by people who aren't "smart" enough to respond more meaningfully to whatever was said or done, and often bespeaks a misplaced sense of awe, or even an attempt at empty flattery.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

:huh: Do you have that response when someone tells you you're pretty/handsome, too? I can't imagine that coming off as anything but arrogant, unless you're clearly joking (and even then...).

Not that I really know what to say either. Something like a smile or "nah, I just study hard" which is not really true but seems polite. I take it as a sign that I seem like I'm bragging and need to tone it down. It makes me uncomfortable because it's almost always from more "working class" people who see a university degree in science as a big deal. So I feel a need to downplay the gap between us.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Depends on who says it.

I've been told that and it clearly meant, "wow, you're smart for a ____________"

Not cool.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Depends. Sometimes I get the feeling they are trying to say "I'm dumb. Please don't teach me too much of that math." Or "I'm dumb. Please convince me that this isn't the case."
I don't really like it in general. I'm not proud on my intelligence. Please compliment me on something I think is difficult - like (I'm now trying to do it. Argh.) succesfully mending a tear in a coat! But probably you'd think that's easy as pie and wonder why I would be proud about that...