• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP Breakdown's

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I don't know exactly what I'm experiencing right now, only that it does not seem 'right'. I just feel like shutting the entire world out so I don't have to care anymore, or pretend to care. I'm cracking under the pressures that this society has created. Have any INTP's felt this way? What did you find it meaning, and how did you fix it? Perhaps this is explained better through enneagram?

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Are you thinking in terms of things not being perfect?

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What is with the apostrophe abuse on this forum?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I just see the examples Society shows and quickly understand that I just can't and won't be a part of it, this is hard decision to make as it would completely isolate me from 90% of the people I know. Isolation is nice, but even this is slightly frightening. I'd rather have all than most of my contacts taken away. I want to get rid of societal constraints. I know this isn't completely possible so I suppose I'm trying to look for bypasses.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Creates shorter sentences. My punctuation skills tends to fail quite often so I suppose most of mine are probably misused.

I meant the use of apostrophe for pluralization in the title (Breakdown's instead of Breakdowns). It's abused as hell in threads about "INTP's" and "INTJ's" as well.

Lucas

MBTI Type
INTP
Yep. I go through crises generally every six to nine months. They generally resolve themselves after a day or two.

Take two doses of your favorite source of humor and talk to me in the morning.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I just see the examples Society shows and quickly understand that I just can't and won't be a part of it, this is hard decision to make as it would completely isolate me from 90% of the people I know. Isolation is nice, but even this is slightly frightening. I'd rather have all than most of my contacts taken away. I want to get rid of societal constraints. I know this isn't completely possible so I suppose I'm trying to look for bypasses.

I think I can understand...maybe. But what specifically is it with society that you don't want to be a part of?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Yep. I go through crises generally every six to nine months. They generally resolve themselves after a day or two.

Take two doses of your favorite source of humor and talk to me in the morning.

Thanks, Dr. Lucas. :)

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I think I can understand...maybe. But what specifically is it with society that you don't want to be a part of?

The view that we have towards relationships and how they should be formed and what should be done within them. It's hard for me to see the point in putting all of this effort into something so superfical. I just want to be able to walk up to a girl and say "Hey, you wanna do somethin'?" and her say "That's fine." The simplicity of the scenario makes me smile.

A

A window to the soul

I don't know exactly what I'm experiencing right now, only that it does not seem 'right'. I just feel like shutting the entire world out so I don't have to care anymore, or pretend to care. I'm cracking under the pressures that this society has created. Have any INTP's felt this way? What did you find it meaning, and how did you fix it? Perhaps this is explained better through enneagram?

^ Yes, this happens to me. There are many root causes, so I'll just name a few of the most common for me:
1) I put a lot of energy into something, but I can't meet the time constraints; 2) I'm torn between two loyalties and I'm forced 'to choose'. 3) Most common, my standards are higher than the majority. (I don't like to draw attention to myself or create conflict by being resistent and I also don't like dictating how things 'should' be done... though I will, if provoked.)

^ I'm totally with you on this. It's like being numb I guess. I think it's fine to shut the world out (all contacts) to recharge and refocus on who *you* really are, what you stand for and what you want. Set achievable goals for yourself, refocus the anger/negative energy into positive determination to 'just do it.' You are in the world, but you don't have to be of it: lead, invent, set the standards, set the examples, and don't let anybody tell you that you can't succeed; you can! The solution is truly inside of you: adjusting your attitude and taking charge of *your* life, just might change your life for the better.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
I meant the use of apostrophe for pluralization in the title (Breakdown's instead of Breakdowns). It's abused as hell in threads about "INTP's" and "INTJ's" as well.

INTP's and INTJ's is correct. They're abbreviations. That's how their plural works in orthography.

I think the TC should find a healthy ENFJ to interact with. What can be so frustrating with many INTP's when interacting with people is how incomplete and even confusing peoples' emotions can seem. That obviously takes a toll on you. Healthy ENFJ's have a very complete expression of their emotions, through paralanguage and body language. Give us a try :D

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
there are anthropological trends universally practiced currently that piss me off as well. I find you frustration forgivable. perfectgirl is right on, try the approach she suggested.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What is with the apostrophe abuse on this forum?

It's a pervasive problem world-wide.
Won't someone care for the poor, abused apostrophe?
We can make a difference in the world.

christ1207 said:
I think the TC should find a healthy ENFJ to interact with. What can be so frustrating with many INTP's when interacting with people is how incomplete and even confusing peoples' emotions can seem. That obviously takes a toll on you. Healthy ENFJ's have a very complete expression of their emotions, through paralanguage and body language.

And ENFJs always need another project to work on? :devil:

PerfectGirl said:
I think it's fine to shut the world out (all contacts) to recharge and refocus on who *you* really are, what you stand for and what you want. Set achievable goals for yourself, refocus the anger/negative energy into positive determination to 'just do it.' You are in the world, but you don't have to be of it: lead, invent, set the standards, set the examples, and don't let anybody tell you that you can't succeed; you can! The solution is truly inside of you: adjusting your attitude and taking charge of *your* life, just might change your life for the better.

In general, I agree with the gist of this... but it's typically far more complicated.

If you want to be in the world, you have to interact with the world. Clear and simple. You also can't just pull in and out of the world without your contacts wondering whether you're committed to them as people or not. If you're not there for them, or you're not safe or stable, they're not going to invest as much in you from their end, and they won't necessarily be there when you need them.

I recommend figuring out what your goals are, realistically how many people you can deal with, and then pick a few core relationships that work the best for you to invest in, make other relationships strategically, and then not bother with people or opinions that don't matter to you and your long-term goals... if you really can't deal well with people and need to strip way down.

It's also kind of hard to "just believe in yourself" and "be a leader." Building the internal values and Ego and whatever else can take years, it's not just a matter of mind if you hope to be effective. But mind can give you the goal to which you can apply yourself.

Last edited:

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Most INTPs get breakdowns at least some of the time. They're usually short lived. It's not a very INTP world, this one. In fact, it seems to be mainly an ES world, with the way everything is organised and such. Just kee[p promoting values you feel are important, unless they're stupid ones, in which case we must knock sense into you.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Thanks, everyone. It seems that I need something to focus my energies towards. I have all of this excess energy and I suppose this makes me feel an UN-organized chaos, as opposed to the opposite. I'm burning the candle at both ends, or rather I'm just sticking the whole thing into the fire. So. I will pick just a few things/people and focus me energies. I appreciate the insight.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTP's and INTJ's is correct. They're abbreviations. That's how their plural works in orthography.

I think the TC should find a healthy ENFJ to interact with. What can be so frustrating with many INTP's when interacting with people is how incomplete and even confusing peoples' emotions can seem. That obviously takes a toll on you. Healthy ENFJ's have a very complete expression of their emotions, through paralanguage and body language. Give us a try :D

INTJ and INTP are not abbreviations, they're acronyms. The same rules do not apply.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
And ENFJs always need another project to work on? :devil:

Shhh... I was hoping he wouldn't read the fine print. ;)

In all fairness, ENFJ's are much less abrasive with our pet projects than many other types, especially other J's. We just want you guys to get out and about and find out what you really want in life. Seeing peoples' eyes light up when they talk about something they really enjoy is something that we relish. I even encourage it if I don't give a shit about what they're talking about. With INTP's that's rarely the case, if ever.

INTJ and INTP are not abbreviations, they're acronyms. The same rules do not apply.

Acronyms are abbreviations that are spoken as words, such as aids or scuba.

INTP - eye en tee pee, pronounced with separate letters is in the strictest sense, an abbreviation. If you wanna say the single word - intp - go for it. Then we can remove the apostrophe.

Also, why the hell should an N type give a shit about prescriptive grammatical standards? You would think that you guys why be all about flexible representation of what is correct, tho perhaps it's a ti/si thing....

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I think INTPs can give themselves the illusion that everything is a system to be figured out. That if we work at something from just the right angle, we'll crack the code, and figure out how everything works. This mindset serves us well in many areas, but it doesn't serve us very well in our interactions or in our growth as people. People, including ourselves, aren't problems to fix. It's exhausting to take on the world as a system we have the responsibility of streamlining. Never needing or asking for help or emotional support, because we seldom recognize that we need it. Hence the semi-regular breakdowns. I definitely have them every few years, and rarely see them coming. It's a lesson I have to learn and re-learn, but I'm getting better at realizing I can't do everything, and that it's okay to need help and to lean on others. It's even okay to talk about *gasp* feelings. I'm going to pretend I didn't just say that. :-D

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I think INTPs can give themselves the illusion that everything is a system to be figured out. That if we work at something from just the right angle, we'll crack the code, and figure out how everything works. This mindset serves us well in many areas, but it doesn't serve us very well in our interactions or in our growth as people. People, including ourselves, aren't problems to fix. It's exhausting to take on the world as a system we have the responsibility of streamlining. Never needing or asking for help or emotional support, because we seldom recognize that we need it. Hence the semi-regular breakdowns. I definitely have them every few years, and rarely see them coming. It's a lesson I have to learn and re-learn, but I'm getting better at realizing I can't do everything, and that it's okay to need help and to lean on others. It's even okay to talk about *gasp* feelings. I'm going to pretend I didn't just say that. :-D

I definitely need emotional support sometimes but I don't really like telling people. But I don't know if that's for all INTPs or if it's just my anxiety.