• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Prima Donnas

muirhejs

Hello-

I'm an INTJ and have recently taken over management of a team that I'm -guessing- is also mostly INTJ's as well. I believe they need some major soft-skills coaching and I'd love some feedback from everyone on what if anything may help.

The team is generally extremely competent and experts in their particular area, but this has led to the development of a prima-donna attitude amongst several of them. They feel many of their colleages are incompetent and don't really 'get it'. Their colleagues are generally competent and shouldn't have to be treated like second-class citizens.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking some 360 degree feedback from many of their peers would be a good way to start.

Thanks, -John

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
Calmly point out that assholism is counterproductive and generally suboptimal.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hello-

I'm an INTJ and have recently taken over management of a team that I'm -guessing- is also mostly INTJ's as well. I believe they need some major soft-skills coaching and I'd love some feedback from everyone on what if anything may help.

The team is generally extremely competent and experts in their particular area, but this has led to the development of a prima-donna attitude amongst several of them. They feel many of their colleages are incompetent and don't really 'get it'. Their colleagues are generally competent and shouldn't have to be treated like second-class citizens.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking some 360 degree feedback from many of their peers would be a good way to start.

Thanks, -John

In this case, if I'm you, I'm just simply going to lead by example. I'm going to treat everyone with the same respect, whether it's the INTJ's under you or their colleagues. Those working for you will see and experience your respect for the others and that will go much further than just saying, "You guys should respect them more." You'll have opportunities to talk about it as well, though. When they see you treating the others with respect, they might make remarks after the colleage leaves like, "Why are you kissing his butt?" Or, "That guy is so lame!" Or, "He is so incompetent!", etc, etc. (x 1 million). Those are the moments when you explain your own approach and the fact that you are all on the same team, ultimately working toward one goal and so there's no need to disrespect anyone. And that, if they are going to interact with their colleagues at all, the right thing to do would be the opposite of what they're currently doing - it helps everyone if they encourage the colleagues and their competency and their growth. To share some of their knowledge with them from time to time, etc.

Don't pound it down their throat. Just lead by example and whenever they make comments (be patient and wait - it will happen), then the door is wide open for you to throw down the gauntlet.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
That was a reference to the thread about words that are often substituted in the wrong places. She knows the difference.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Oh, I see. I once thought it was Pre-Madonna myself :D(when I was a young lad) and someone showed me otherwise, so I was just clearing it up.

And yeah, that is one of those phrases that can easily sound like something else.

muirhejs

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to be patient and lead by example. Unfortunately all of them will be working in a different state than where I am, which makes doing so a bit tough!

- John

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Calmly point out that assholism is counterproductive and generally suboptimal.

All my time on TypologyCentral.com has been leading up to reading this one sentence. FANTASTIC. And so true.

:rofl1: