• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] "Altruism" and Career-Choice in ENTP Types?

J62V5NO

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and was recently contemplating whether or not a certain form of “altruism” (in quotes because it may not be the best word) that I experience is common to ENTPs, and also some implications from a career standpoint.

Quick Background is that I am pursuing a PhD in engineering and previously worked as an entrepreneur and management consultant. I loved some aspects of the business jobs, and the PhD can be fun in the sense that I love creating and exploring new ideas. (On the other hand, the PhD was sort of by accident and quasi-outside of my interests … and I am not all that interested in some of the requirements.)

In any case, I find that while I'm typically working in areas that are technical, logicy heavy, or (dahhh) Mathy, I can't help but be drawn to and even slightly (if only temporarily) obsessed with issues in politics, sociology, psychology, and basically anything that relates to human systems and feelings and social dynamics.

Furthermore, I am often struck by altruistic/humanitarian/benevolent impulses that make me think that I should really be devoting my time to working on something more human-oriented that will benefit other people.
I think that perhaps I should drop what I’m doing and go into something that would let me use my more "verbal" and human-oriented skills in a way that benefits others and lets me work out my social angle. On the other hand, my logic + my strength in my current positions plus the lack of apparent upside (in many ways) usually makes me not want to make any huge changes here (e.g switching programs or professions), even though I am typically very risk-seeking.

(I'm considered to be incredibly risk seeking to others, and maybe I am -- but in my own mind I view it as a mix of being very calculated and very optimistic ... so right now I'm staying pretty still.)

I'm 92% sure that I'm an ENTP (5 years ago I felt like 100% matched all of the pros and cons of being an ENTP, but have sort of evolved away from that.)

~~
What I'm curious about:

1. Is the constant itching social-impact thing and dilemma a common trend across ENTPs (or any other type?) and/or does it fall outside of the MBTI spectrum?

a) Any deeper sense/explanation of what it is driven by in the ENTP type? I don't think anyone close to me would accuse me of being an F and I am generally considered pretty unemotional (unless enthusiasm counts as an emotion) ---> but I also can't help but want to improve everything in my environment.

2. Has anyone ever looked at (or know about) the breakdown of ENTPs in more "Verbal" (e.g. Lawyer, strategic consultant, politician, philosopher) fields/careers vs. more "mathematical" (e.g. pure mathematician, computational biologist, algorithms programmers {not to be confused with software architect}), do they tend to thrive in one area or another?

3. Any other compelling ideas I should think about?

Thanks!!

(P.S. I’ve read lots of light MBTI stuff for a while and always taken the quizzes for fun, but am somewhat new to it in terms of discussion. Don’t hesitate to send me to sources or provide ideas on typing in general!)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
From my experience MBTI type is really not the best way to determine which career is most suitable to you. The Holland Codes are a better measurement for this. (Here's a link to an online test, but it costs money to take it.)
The Career Key™ - Your Personality - Take the Career Key

I think type is a better indicator of how you respond to your context. ENTP's are good at creating something new. In a business context this would be an entrepenuer starting a new type of business. In a technology context this would be an inventor. In a humanitarian context this would be starting a new non-profit or developing a new type of therapy or something similar. The approach to work is basically the same, but the context can be totally different.

But if you are interested in the most suitable career I would look at your Holland Codes.

J62V5NO

MBTI Type
ENTP
Thanks for pointing this out -- I took the quiz but was a little bit disappointed (it seemed short and I was hoping it'd synthesize something from all of the jobs I picked, but it really it just displayed them back!). Regardless, I guess it is nice to have another data point. Key Scores:

Enterprising 10/10
Investigative 8/10
Social 7/10
Artistic 2/10
Realistic 2/10

jd800

Just a bump

I am extremely interested in more information on this thread... I don't think I am an F either, but find myself extremely into the humanitarian aspects...

This happened about 4-5 years out of college though, around the age of 27, had a shift. Maybe I just developed my F?

I was a computer programmer, but now I do other things... I don't see much of a purpose in being a "cog in the corp/gov machine" and extremely concerned in having something more purposeful...

I am also not very emotional from a one on one basis...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Welcome to the forums :).

What kind of engineering do you do ? I am a mechanical engineer with specialization in automation, robotics and production. Failed my profession tho, rather would be a spaceship captain or at least an electrical engineer :).

1. Is the constant itching social-impact thing and dilemma a common trend across ENTPs (or any other type?) and/or does it fall outside of the MBTI spectrum?
Well I dont think this type related at all. It's probably a new intrest you developed or has been something you forgot to develop and now found the motivation to look for development. I am assuming here but I know that especially educations in engineering can leave you somewhat socially stranded cause they can be taxing and time consuming. So maybe you just hadnt had the time to develop that until now.

I think for entps the social component will always play a pivotal role. I am finishing University at the moment and working parttime in a management position where you have a lot to do with people yet less to do with engineering. I am there for my competence in that field, yet I cant build anything there or such and I am missing it. I have a colleague 2 years older than me who just finished his degree and works in a project team now developing planetary drives for wind energy converters. I was kinda fascinated by his job and since we are good friends he invited me over and showed me around. After seeing it I was kinda repelled, I felt like man this guy's working with über-nerds in a closed room all day long and those guys dont even like the simplest of jokes. So this isnt really what I'ld like to be doing.

Then again, in Germany you have to do a social year after school. This or go to the military for a year. Well I choosed the social year and then worked in a purely social context. Well I lost a lot of weight by that time cause I wasnt really tough enough to cope with the destinies you had to see there sometimes and I am not really made for giving the psychological care for people like a nurse could do. So this was definitly no job for me, maybe it could be for you, but I am glad if I dont have to go back to any hospitral no more.

a) Any deeper sense/explanation of what it is driven by in the ENTP type? I don't think anyone close to me would accuse me of being an F and I am generally considered pretty unemotional (unless enthusiasm counts as an emotion) ---> but I also can't help but want to improve everything in my environment.

The most basic drive I have is to become an old man with a white beard, a cigar a glass of scotch sitting in a rocking chair and having close ones coming to me seeking for advice. That's basically it.

2. Has anyone ever looked at (or know about) the breakdown of ENTPs in more "Verbal" (e.g. Lawyer, strategic consultant, politician, philosopher) fields/careers vs. more "mathematical" (e.g. pure mathematician, computational biologist, algorithms programmers {not to be confused with software architect}), do they tend to thrive in one area or another?

From what I know, lawyer, right hand of the boss as in i.e. technical consultant or entrepreneur are good choices. Besides that you can basically become anything, if it is a job where you have people coming to you and seeking for your opinion and telling you they appreciate your work you will be socially satisfied. I'll need a mixture of technical topics and having to deal with people, I'ld like to become a salesman yet these jobs are kinda hard and ya I dont like the selling part really.

Well dont think that helped you at all, but these are my 5 cents :)

3. Any other compelling ideas I should think about?

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Wow, I really relate to this thread!! I'm also an ENTP engineer with an interest in doing something a bit more altruistic, partly to give more purpose and passion to my work. Please let me know if either of you have found a good path for yourselves that way!!

For me, my plan is to first add to my engineering expertise in an area I have interest in (but haven't had as much work experience in as I would like), partly because that will allow me to contribute to environmental sustainability in a way that I think is important, and partly because I think it will help me make my next career move after that. So my next move after that will be to try management consulting, because it sounds more challenging and exciting than civil engineering.

From there, I think I can use my management consulting expertise to advise non-profit orgs, which could be very significant and satisfying. And I would be willing to do that for a much lower fee than the usual. Also, unless I learn later that it wouldn't work, I would like to help nonprofits brainstorm ways to transition to a for-benefit business model so that they have more money available to get their important work done.

Thoughts?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Sounds cool but the future is always ten thousand possibilities not one possibility. If you hang on to a particular dream to long you may break an own bone or two

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Sounds cool but the future is always ten thousand possibilities not one possibility. If you hang on to a particular dream to long you may break an own bone or two

:laugh: Yes, I realize that. Don't worry, I'm flexible. I'm already considering changing the plan I just described last week, seriously!

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Always stick to those plans, we entps can be exceptionally good in our job lifes if we are dedicated. The ability to always learn something new and to gain perspective is outstanding and will benefit you even at older age. There's one advice I can give you: don't neglect to build yourself a huge social network. There are more business oriented social comunities in the internet and if you are someday in some kind of position in a company, you can add all those CEOs in your vicinity to your network and care for the contact. I have people in my contacts I never dreamt of having but nowadays I have so many options and directions to turn to its amazing yet overwhelming :). So Social Networking !! Very important

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
It's true. I'm sticking to the longer term plan, but am considering adjusting the shorter term part of the plan because I'm not sure if it's going to work out the way I had hoped.

I agree about the importance of networking. When I was younger, people always said this and I couldn't understand the value of it, but I see it now.

foxonstilts

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
3w8
Just for what it's worth, be it typological applicable or not, I'm going to answer with a resounding 'yes'. If I was doing a job where I didn't directly help people, then I wouldn't feel fulfilled. I'm not an overly emotional person, nor am I very people oriented. I enjoy problem-solving and learning, yet I still have that streak where I feel the need to make everything better for the world, at least a little. :p

So yeah, there's that. >> <<

storybrook

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w5
I definitely have strong humanitarian instincts, which I have to say led me totally astray in the early years of my career. I got a counseling degree because I believed I wanted to help people. 4 years and many thousands of dollars in tuition later, I realized that while I may want to help people, I don't want to do it by actually talking to them about their problems.

I think the best matches for ENTPs with a humanitarian bent might be math/business/science/law careers that have a larger, socially positive goal. Being a social entrepreneur might be a good example. Or a scientist looking for a cure for cancer. Or a real estate developer specializing in affordable housing.

My advice would be to not go overboard with the humanitarian thing. As an ENTP, I'm happiest when the people I'm helping are at arm's length (or maybe several arms' length).