• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTJ] ENTJ and steamrolling others?

Frank

I noticed a common theme among the posts of another thread that all ENTJs are bossy and tend to steamroll others.

ENTJ- Is this true in how you see yourself?

Others- Is this how you see most of the ENTJ you know?

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Yes, though not always the case, I think this is very common and I think it has a lot to do with that Ni/Te combination. The outside world is carefully divided into segments, like objects - then related to according to their own personal idealized value system. This value system then becomes imposed on those "objects." Cognitive functions aside, it's tough I think with this combination to appreciate boundaries and to know when to stop when it comes to giving people "advice" about what's good for them and sensing when the other person has had enough. My understanding of cognitive functions are somewhat limited, but this is what seems to be the cause.

Lark

I noticed a common theme among the posts of another thread that all ENTJs are bossy and tend to steamroll others.

I guess a lot of other types must be weak and whiney then.

F

figsfiggyfigs

steamroller.JPG

and No, I only steam roll when its absolutely necessary(although I've noticed that sometimes I unconsciously do it) It's not necessary on a forum. I honestly don't know why some ENTJ's on here do it. Waste of time.

ENTJ

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I have the tendencies. I think it feels natural and good. But I try to hold back in social settings because it turns most people off and it's not the best tactics if you wanna get people on your team/side. It's a bit more acceptable in work settings, but even then people will get sour and not put in their best effort into the project. Which is the goal ultimately, so what I'm saying is that I only do it when it's the most efficient method. And when it's necessary.

Also I've noticed I'll only boss people around and streamroll in matters where I care. My enthusiasm, energy and goal oriented mind can often take that shape.

In other, and most cases I'll just let people do their thing. So it's really a sign of dedication ;)

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I have the tendencies. I think it feels natural and good. But I try to hold back in social settings because it turns most people off and it's not the best tactics if you wanna get people on your team/side. It's a bit more acceptable in work settings, but even then people will get sour and not put in their best effort into the project. Which is the goal ultimately, so what I'm saying is that I only do it when it's the most efficient method. And when it's necessary.

Also I've noticed I'll only boss people around and streamroll in matters where I care. My enthusiasm, energy and goal oriented mind can often take that shape.

In other, and most cases I'll just let people do their thing. So it's really a sign of dedication ;)

:yes:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As long as you can watch from the sidelines, it's quite a sight really :D :popc1:

A colleague of mine, relatively new employee, is ENTJ and an utter joy to behold that way. He's highly competitive, which in a sales job is very much appreciated. He's the best we have. He beat me..who held the previous record before I was promoted. The job demands he's good with people, and he's very much extraverted so he likes working with people, but when I coached him, I also told him: 'hold on tiger, don't be too aggressive, coz that'll turn people off.' I instantly got an entire line of questionning on how to proceed properly, what was needed to conduct a productive sales pitch, what the objective was and how to get there. Te in action. Input data here, plz. I was in awe and laughing on the inside at the same time. He, OTOH chuckles at my make-shift Te when I try and lead a group and organize shit. He's already been promoted to Team Leader due to his competence and he's taken the advice I gave him in account. Though he's still borderline aggressive-assertive with people, he gets the best results due to his dedication and his sheer enthusiasm for the job, while still being very friendly with people, despite being assertive/aggressive. He's made a consistent effort to show empathy and understanding for people, while combining that with his drive to get to his goal: aka his bonus. It's a thing of beauty, his style. And soooo totally opposite me.

And..funny thing, with his new Team Leader position, he needs to motivate and challenge his people as well. I observed him a day before we gave him the position, to see if he had it in him. That day, a younger female colleague was feeling down. I purposefully stepped aside and watched her push his protectiveness-button. And smiled. Giggled really at his innocent Fi. He came through perfectly. He consoled her, motivated her and instinctively took the time despite still wanting to score that day himself, to care for her.I knew then he'd always care for his people which would keep him from steamrolling them and still maintain that hunger for success which would hopefully rub off on his colleages in his team ;)

Lark

steamroller.JPG

and No, I only steam roll when its absolutely necessary(although I've noticed that sometimes I unconsciously do it) It's not necessary on a forum. I honestly don't know why some ENTJ's on here do it. Waste of time.

ENTJ

Are you really an ENTJ red haired babe like your avatar? If so there's every chance I'm in love :laugh:

Lark

OK on a serious note now, I dont believe that ENTJs do stream roller people or behave bossy, I dont believe that at all, in fact I would go so far as to say the people most likely to do that are not even ENTJ but another type who are not best fit for the roll they find themselves in or feel threatened some how, whether its their ideas about their status vis-a-vis group dynamics or social hierarchies or their internal dialogue derailing themselves.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
OK on a serious note now, I dont believe that ENTJs do stream roller people or behave bossy, I dont believe that at all, in fact I would go so far as to say the people most likely to do that are not even ENTJ but another type who are not best fit for the roll they find themselves in or feel threatened some how, whether its their ideas about their status vis-a-vis group dynamics or social hierarchies or their internal dialogue derailing themselves.

I agree to some extent in that this is not the way entjs ARE. The same goes for when people say we're mean machines, I'll never understand that either. However I think that's different. Some people will think steamrolling is the best leadership style and some will prefer other methods. There are different leadership styles. Also I think it depends on the situation and task at hand what method they chose. Doesn't mean they are not entjs.

Lark

I agree to some extent in that this is not the way entjs ARE. The same goes for when people say we're mean machines, I'll never understand that either. However I think that's different. Some people will think steamrolling is the best leadership style and some will prefer other methods. There are different leadership styles. Also I think it depends on the situation and task at hand what method they chose. Doesn't mean they are not entjs.

Perhaps but to be honest I think steam rollering is bad management, people do that when they cant persuade, lead, motivate, they're ill suited to managment, whatever they may believe about themselves or, more often than not, hope about themselves.

So if you're steam rollering you're also struggling and I dont think that a true to type ENTJ will struggle with being in the position of leadership because I believe that it really corresponds to their type. A reflective and thoughtful ENTJ, one with strong TJ, and one which strong E will be especially suited to that role and in all likelihood inspire the loyalty of their subordinates, no steam rollering required.

Defining all ENTJs as mean is slightly different, its a bad generalisation, I think that there's issues with some types though because they tend to think that person is so "mean" and it instead it is more a case of that person is simply not like/the same as them.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No..just in love :coffee:

Boils down to the same thing though :D

BÃ¥rris

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
The one ENTJ I know happens to be my best friend. Although he is VERY bossy, he can be very fun too.
The rest of his family are SJs, so whenever he disagrees with them he won't give up until he is certain that he has convinced them that his opinion is the right one.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm...I think I agree with the steamroller stereotype. :devil:

My oldest sister is ENTJ. I've always understood her and she's always been cool with my "strange" ways. I've had to tell people that she doesn't mean any harm. She's bossy, has little patience with fools, and is quick to tell you what she is thinking or how she feels with little to no regard about how it will affect a person (she's gotten a lot better at this, though). She comes across as an aggressive, controlling, OCD, castrating bitch if you take stuff personally or if your skin is thin.

If you don't, then she is a great person. She's got this softy sentimental streak, ugh. If you need anything, she'll move heaven and earth to be there for you. If you have a good idea, there's no better person to push it forward into reality. If you are threatened or need protection, then your attacker better pray for mercy 'cause she will utterly kick ass--a real lioness!

I really believe you've got to know where ENTJs are coming from. I think they are awesome people.

Thinkaboutit

MBTI Type
INTJ
I love when an ENTJ starts "steamrollin" over someone. It's usually exactly the kind of thing that I would say, I just dont care to talk to the other person. I see it as a "not worth my time" sort of thing. ENTJs can just instinctively rip them a new one; and that always makes me laugh.

Lark

I love when an ENTJ starts "steamrollin" over someone. It's usually exactly the kind of thing that I would say, I just dont care to talk to the other person. I see it as a "not worth my time" sort of thing. ENTJs can just instinctively rip them a new one; and that always makes me laugh.

You know I'm pretty sure you're on the money with your own personal typology here because that's exactly what I'm like when I'm tired and I think when I'm tired or drained I'm like INTJ instead of ENTJ.

rav3n

I tend to steamroll in a work environment to get completion or when anyone pushes my boundaries in any environment. In a pleasant social setting, there's no reason for it.

MoneyTick

MBTI Type
ENTJ

Yes, this is true for me as well. Now, in most social situations I tend to speak to others really loudly and with a lot of aggressiveness and assertiveness in my tone of voice. This comes naturally to me, but I am in no way trying to steamroll or "boss" anyone around. I cannot possibly see myself doing that when I'm surrounded by new friends or acquaintances.

I actually hesitate to "boss" people around when I'm just hanging out, I just let people do whatever.

I really do not understand why others think ENTJs are bossy and steamroll others, I can't get it at all.

I am thinking that our assertiveness and ability to talk to others in a hardcore "direct" manner my possibly give people that impression.

When it comes to a work environment, I can see myself being a human bulldozer - but in cordial social situations, I cannot see myself putting down others for the sake of it.

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
The only time I see my ENTJ best friend do this seriously is when someone pushes his boundaries, which appears ridiculously hard to do.

To a lesser degree he does this when he is pushing someone else's for fun. He enjoys making people a little uncomfortable via steamrolling the conversation just to see what they do. It's his way of poking fun at people, and he has an enormous amount of respect for those who give it right back to him and turn his steamrolling into witty banter.