• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Experiencing NT shutdown

Lark

You ever experienced this and how does it go or loook like? I think I experienced it today, similar to psychological flooding, physically my heart rate went through the roof, my breathing was difficult to control/hyperventilating, once I got my breath under control I didnt get my heart under control, everything took on a dream like character and I've got to say that my F went into hyper drive and possibly even started to experience a S function asserting itself.

I wasnt really able to think or rationalise but I was able to do something which resembled it, like a phony version of each if you know what I mean, the reptilian brain had totally and utterly taken over.

Took me a minute to recover normal functioning when the threat was gone, I kind of think I feel a little strang still, some things seem much more clear or look different to the eye, more definition? Like a better lens. Feel a little exhilerated, which isnt going away.

Jaguar

Panic attacks have nothing to do with type. Any human being could have one- which is exactly what you experienced.

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
You ever experienced this and how does it go or loook like? I think I experienced it today, similar to psychological flooding, physically my heart rate went through the roof, my breathing was difficult to control/hyperventilating, once I got my breath under control I didnt get my heart under control, everything took on a dream like character and I've got to say that my F went into hyper drive and possibly even started to experience a S function asserting itself.

I wasnt really able to think or rationalise but I was able to do something which resembled it, like a phony version of each if you know what I mean, the reptilian brain had totally and utterly taken over.

Took me a minute to recover normal functioning when the threat was gone, I kind of think I feel a little strang still, some things seem much more clear or look different to the eye, more definition? Like a better lens. Feel a little exhilerated, which isnt going away.

Having had panic attacks, I have to say I don't relate to the above, but then, they can take on a very different character for different people. Did you feel like you were in danger or a sense of doom? Or just a variety of weird physical symptoms due to emotional upset? NTs can still experience severe emotional shock and it doesn't have to be a panic attack.

Lark

Having had panic attacks, I have to say I don't relate to the above, but then, they can take on a very different character for different people. Did you feel like you were in danger or a sense of doom? Or just a variety of weird physical symptoms due to emotional upset? NTs can still experience severe emotional shock and it doesn't have to be a panic attack.

Yeah, I agree.

I have a fear of heights and I was out rock climbing in a gorge. I hadnt thought it through to begin with.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yup, sounds like a panic attack. Fun times. :(

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
A panic attack is a panic attack. This is not "what it feels like to not be NTJ." No one of any type could function in that mode. :wacko:

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I've had a panic attack and I've had what you are talking about.
I wouldn't necessarily call them the same, as there were distinct differences.

N

NPcomplete

Yes, it does seem similar to a panic attack.

Back when I was terrified of escalators, something similar happened to me. I began hyperventilating, sweated like I was in a furnace and cried. My legs desperately wanted me to get off the thing (because of an incident when I was much younger) but it was the only way to go up so I had to do it. Those are the most terrifying fifteen seconds I've ever had.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Panic attack.
Not function or type related.

Anyone can get them; it's just a matter of what causes the stress/anxiety.

gromit

likes this

Is that really what its like not to be NTJ?

I'm like blessed and stuff. :shock:

Yes reptilian brain. It's a wonder any of the non-NTJs can function at all, huh?

Lark

Panic attack.
Not function or type related.

Anyone can get them; it's just a matter of what causes the stress/anxiety.

Perhaps but I'm inclined to believe that a lot is explicable about panic attacks and stress related dysfunctional behaviour by understanding type and shadow.

There's some MBTI books and authors on this topic, like Was That Really ME?: How Everyday Stress Brings out Our Hidden Personality by
Katharine D. Myers, Naomi L. Quenk or Beside Ourselves: Our Hidden Personality in Everyday Life by Naomi L. Quenk.

I can vouch for the second one, I thought it was very good, although to be honest it was academic until I got stressed out climbing/scrambling and really experienced it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Perhaps but I'm inclined to believe that a lot is explicable about panic attacks and stress related dysfunctional behaviour by understanding type and shadow.

That's what I said -- it depends on what causes anxiety and stress in a person. Stressful circumstances can be categorized and generalized by type.

But the fact you had a panic attack, and getting panic attacks, has nothing to do with being NT. Everyone can get them. Panic attacks themselves are not related to type.

rav3n

I think people fight their reptilian brain, rather than channeling it towards something positive or at least productive. When it's channeled, people should revel in it but put it away when unnecessary. As a woman, watching men indulging that side through sports or other forms of physical activity is pretty hot!

As far as your panic attack, no wonder if you were challenging a fear. Push beyond fear and you'll have clarity. Hopefully you'll continue pushing beyond.

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Im doing similar experiments myself.

Trying to figure out how i work. Thats why i did the MBTI.

I can have strange physical reactions i don`t really understand.

im thinking stuff like... why is this happening? this is bs! im not scared or nervous, my body is.

How i react i think is heavily variable on blod suger.

After a skydive i was cool and did not feel any high at all but on the way home i finally got myself some food (coca cola and man! was i talking then!)

skydiving is amazing. it was only a tandem but i forgot every "safety" procedures and straightened out for that iron man style dive for a short time.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Everyone I know goes through some shit like that, me included.

But everyone I know is also not an NT.

My 'shutdowns' are a lot similar, but then they can vary as well.
Panic attacks are mostly caused by situations (ex. I had to scale down a castle, and I wasn't worried until I was strapped in and looked down. I wasn't expecting to be so up high, I guess. :shrug:

My psychological shutdowns last longer, and I mostly become sedentary, silent, or very loud and angry.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I had a panic attack once, sort of, though my physical symptoms were not extreme. I was hyperventilating, head spinning and I was crying. I was just totally freaked out and filled with stress and anxiety.

I'm actually pretty emotional for an NT. But it's my logic and rationalisation that stops me being an F.