• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTJ] ENTJ's and Ni?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
ENTJ's,

I'm still trying to grasp exactly how Ni works, but I understand (I think) that it sees "potential problems" before they might pop up and accounts for that. That sounds somewhat like Ne actually.

What I was wondering about is I have a good friend now who is ENTJ. His wife is ESFJ. Many months ago when I was first starting to get to know them, they took me to lunch. Keep in mind, this is a situation where he and I can both "help each other" - he knows I can potentially be beneficial to him and his organization and I know that he can potentially be beneficial to me. It has the potential to be a great NT-NT friendship. But, as we were sitting and eating lunch, his wife began to rant a little bit about her somewhat extreme political views. I learned later that he actually shares her views (and, to be honest, their views do not bother me much - at least, it's not going to stop me from being their friend), but while we were eating and she was ranting, I just smiled and took in what she was saying (and probably made a few "wow" faces at the things she said), but I noticed him (Ni at work???) "slowing her down". At one point he said to her, "Wait. Just wait." And then he asked me what my thoughts were. Another time he made a motion with his hand to her as if to say, "You should probably take it down a notch." It was like he was being very cautious to make sure she did not offend me. At least that's how I read it, but maybe I'm wrong.

Is that possibly Ni at work? Was he possibly thinking, "We're still building this relationship and so we need to be careful to not alienate him or push him away?" Is that him forseeing into the future that her rant could have possibly ruined the relationship and then trying to monitor that?

rav3n

That's quite a combination of MBTI types. :p

He sounds like he's shifted into an objective place with a combination of Te and Ni. He's moderating her expression of views since she's probably not being logical and is interested in hearing your views, since he's probably figured out that you don't agree through the subconscious cues you're giving.

When he listens to your perspective, are his eyes non-judgmental and interested?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
When he listens to your perspective, are his eyes non-judgmental and interested?

Yes. That would be a good way to describe it. He listens and responds in a way that is very "respectful". He seems very curious to know what I'm thinking at times. And with him, I never have to worry about it becoming a food fight with name calling, finger pointing, and getting off topic.

rav3n

Yes. That would be a good way to describe it. He listens and responds in a way that is very "respectful". He seems very curious to know what I'm thinking at times. And with him, I never have to worry about it becoming a food fight with name calling, finger pointing, and getting off topic.
That sounds right, especially if you treat him with respect and provide intelligent and creative but logical perspectives, he's going to be interested in what you've got to say.

Why waste good food? :smile: