• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] What do ENTPs think of INTPs

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What do you guys think, I think I've only known one ENTP, he was my best friend in high school but I haven't seen him in over 5 years, are we just more subdued versions of ENTPs?

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP
IRL, I wish they'd say what they were thinking more often.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

I struggle with this. Presumably, because Ti is an introverted function. It's not exactly "expressive". Also, I'm not sure people want to hear what I'm thinking a lot of the time. If my boss is pointing out a bunch of "little things" that I'm doing wrong, does he really want me to point out to him all the "big things" that I see him doing wrong?

Boss: You stacked those boxes wrong. You forgot to sign your name instead of print. You used a blue pen instead of a black pen.

INTP (thinking to self): You treat your employees bad, you couldn't manage your way out of a paper bag, you're rude to customers and most of them don't like you, if you treated your employees better they would work harder for you, you focus too much on small things and not enough on the big picture. While you're lecturing me about the color of pen I'm using you just lost a customer because they got tired of waiting at the counter for you, etc.

Sometimes, it's just better left unsaid. :shrug:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP

As far as I can tell, this is one of the biggest differences. ENTPs often put out an idea before it's fully baked, just to play with it Ne-style before asking Ti to take a look at it. INTPs very often will not even really be able to express what we're thinking until we run it through Ti. Ti is how we make sense of things. If an ENTP asks me a direct question about how I feel about something, I sometimes feel like a deer in the headlights, because maybe I haven't thought about that thing before. If you talk to me about it for a while, ideas will start popping up, but I need some time and some context to feel comfortable talking about it. Especially because you guys are intense. :smile:

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
One of my best friends when I was little till highschool was INTP, or somewhere between I and E. I still consider him the smartest person I met, and probably one of the most misunderstood and troubled.

And it really hurt me that people didn't look inside of him, they'd think he's weird because of the way he looked. He also had tics, I guess anxiety related. He was very uncomfortable around strangers. But he has a brilliant mind. I hope he doesn't waste it.

I never had another close INTP friend. Although I wish I had. I can't bake ideas if I'm not stimulated by other people.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
are we just more subdued versions of ENTPs?

There are some pretty big differences. Subdued wouldn't be the word I'd use though, definitely more internal, the not expressing thoughts is a big one.

Big time. I don't always know when and where I can probe but I know there's a hell of a lot of thinking going on underneath that I'm not going to hear about, INTPs have better clarity of thought in my eyes because of their dom Ti and vocalising what they're thinking would be a great assist to me as something to inspire ideas, but it just don't happen for the reasons Tallulah mentioned.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
yeah what others have said here seems to echo my experiences. I have an ENTP prof for some philosophy classes and he always told us that philosophy was a public endevor and task and that we MUST come forward with our thoughts on matters. Sometimes i felt as if he were speaking right to me because I would give one or two sentence inputs when I had a lot more i could say (in reality he was probably just trying to encourage class dialogue but still...)

The thing is though - how many of you ENTPs out there saying that crap actually DO appreciate it when we INTPs run our fuckin' mouths? it seems to me you guys regret it after the fact because you resent the input we've given. I've found NTJs MUCH more receptive AND appreciative to my input, generally speaking. ENTPs don't seem to wanna be bothered with our input, or any other input that runs against their train of thought..... So much so that I usually don't engage them whatsoever. /shrug

strawberries

shadow boxer
MBTI Type
----
i have a good friend who is intp and it makes me sad that he doesn't live a life that matches his potential. he's very introverted and paralysed by social anxiety. but he's brilliant and engaging when he's comfortable.

i like drawing things out of shy people though. i can enjoy that. it feels like you're privy to things that others aren't. i don't think it should just be the role of shy people to push themselves to do more work all the time - extroverted people need to work out how to communicate better with introverts too.

re nozflubber's post - i think immature entps tend to be bit brash with opinions that don't click with theirs, but as they mature they can appreciate different points of view and be more relaxed/nuanced (tallulah used the word intense - i was more intense when i was a baby strawberry).

as long as you're not a raving idiot you'll do okay with entps. i'm not good with fools, but i don't particularly want to be either.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't see that much difference between E and INTPs, probably because I've got quite some introverted characteristics myself. If in a test, "partying" is set against "reading", I get the I :D

For me, the main difference is explained best by the functions.
The Es will are in a constant search of Ne triggers (that's why they need to get out) and will sift through all those ideas until something consistent gets out.
The Is will try to make the jigsaw puzzle of their worldview first and when a piece is lacking, Ne will help to provide it.
If worldviews are jigsaw puzzles, the Es have too much pieces and have to discard lots of them; the Is have too little pieces and create them to fit.

This is of course an extreme view. I've encountered more than one time that I needed more pieces in one area and couldn't choose between a plethora of them in another area.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What Tewt said. I also sometimes wish that what they do say wasn't so convoluted -- not for my sake ( or other ENTPs'... we can understand their technobabble most of the time), but everyone else's. Take this post for example. I had to read it twice so I could translate for MDP.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
We can be convoluted, that's for sure. That's what happens when I try to extrovert crap that's in my head that I haven't sifted through first. I have to figure out a way to translate this blob of a tangle of loosely connected ideas and hunches into concepts easily understood by humans. When I try to release them into the world before I've worked through them in my head, it's a trainwreck of massive proportions, made worse by the fact that I'm aware of the trainwreck as it comes out of my mouth.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I also sometimes wish that what they do say wasn't so convoluted

Many, many moons ago there was a study conducted which bore conclusive evidence that the degree to which one's upbringing was chaotic had a positive correlation with how "chaotic" one's basic explanations tend to be. Indeed, it was found that chaos in the home could very well lead to chaotic, convoluted speech patterns. On the other hand, let's not be dogmatic. There are certainly going to be other plausible explanations floating around out there in the hallways of our great academic institutions and within the academic fields that be. Surely, we cannot attribute the convoluted explanations of all INTP's to be a direct result of chaotic upbringings. Most assuredly, there are other factors at play, especially in the case of the average INTP. In fact, speech and human interaction are so complex, that I wouldn't be surprised if the true explanation for INTP complexity is still floating around in space somewhere; still yet to be located or touched on by even the brightest minds that academia can offer up.

Ummmm, just kidding? :shrug::D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
My relations to intps are strained and rarely of the good sort. I'ld wish for them to be better friends and care more about a connection to the person they speak to, rather than getting their points conveyed.

I'ld wish for more wisdom in intps too. The sentence "intps think before they speak" is a rather dangerous one imo, because it can be interpreted as: "when intps have thought about it, what they speak then is the sole truth".

I admit that entps are quick shooters and do many more mistakes, but as it is with all things in life, one should aim for a balance, between listening and talking.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I'm just glad that we now have an emoticon, we can share, to convey any emotion that we feel i.e. :shrug:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
it's rare that i don't get along great with them, but it seems to me that ENTPs tend to enjoy the company of INTPs more than INTPs enjoy the company of ENTPs.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
it's rare that i don't get along great with them, but it seems to me that ENTPs tend to enjoy the company of INTPs more than INTPs enjoy the company of ENTPs.

I disagree with this semblance. All week, I have been trying to befriend this ENTP. DAMN!!

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I have an INTP friend. She finds me funny allbeit annoying and I found annoying her and making her laugh, fun. It worked out great.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ahem.
Straight from the horse's mouth. :smile:

Lots of ENTPs on here have nabbed themselves a nice juicy INTP.
I was hunted by one myself once (not here). Mad, mad, brilliant, mad fella, but I escaped unscathed. :)