• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Facial Expressions

MoneyTick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Facial expressions are a work out for me.

That's why I keep at a straight face, and throw in a few laughs or smiles in there too once in a while.

Think Judge Nepolitano from freedom watch on fox business

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In terms of facial expressions, the NTs I know pretty much do exactly what I do - they emote appropriately around new people and/or people they really want to impress, but are much more stoic around friends and family. Surprisingly, the NT I've met who's best at this is my INTP dad. He is one of the most gifted schmoozers I've ever met.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Surprisingly, the NT I've met who's best at this is my INTP dad. He is one of the most gifted schmoozers I've ever met.

That's Fe for you. It's very good at knowing what others need to hear at any given time.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I'm not an NT (or maybe I am) and I kind of relate a little bit sometimes. I try not to fake anything, but people have called me unflinching at times. I just can't fake genuine enthusiasm, and since it's a rare event in social interaction unless I'm with close friends, people tend to get intimidated or weary of me sometimes.

Within

Permabanned
Exactly, I guess it all comes down to the basics. Who would you rather talk to; A person who communicates with a monotone voice and displays zero enthusiasm or someone who shows an obvious interest in the topic of discussion. Perhaps this is an old fear of rejection still lingering in my spine.

I'm not sure why I'm like this, either it's because of my extremely high NT values or the fact that I'm a nutcase (The two probably correlate somehow). The scales are even at this point, so I guess I'll be playing the waiting game for now.

:cheese:

Shiet_Happens

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6?
haha yea i have to fake facial expressions ALL the time but i suck at trying to fake my voice. Like i can't sound happy or sad even if i tried, yet somehow im good at lying....??

Within

Permabanned
haha yea i have to fake facial expressions ALL the time but i suck at trying to fake my voice. Like i can't sound happy or sad even if i tried, yet somehow im good at lying....??

Faking a genuine physical expression is hard, keeping them back is easy. I learned that early on.

Shiet_Happens

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6?
yea it usually depends on the people and my mood, but i mean, you either smile or laugh in conversations and i just use muscle memory for that lol ^.^

F

figsfiggyfigs

40% :mellow:/:nerd:
30% :holy:
20% :workout:
5% :smooch:
5%:2up:

^ My basic expressions... seriously. I'm either Happy, or pissed. It's usually almost always Happy, or on the path of of comfortable peace.

I do relate to what you are saying though.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I am fully capable of smiles and laughter, though it's sometimes out of place (I think I might be an Aspie or close to) but it really depends. And not just on my mood. Sometimes I'll be happy with a blank face. Sometimes I'll be sad but wearinga happy face. Sometimes I have a straight face when I'm depressed or upset and sometimes, when I look happy, I am very happy. I never pout, frown or make any decidedly unhappy expressions.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I always said my ENTJ mother could win an Oscar the way her mood, facial expressions, tone of voice, EVERYTHING immediately change when we're around other people. She can be in a yelling/bitchy/angry mood one minute... and as soon as other people show up she's all smiles and sunshine.

My ENTJ boyfriend does the same thing. He might be tired and just looking exhausted. The second he's around other people he perks up and his facial expressions are smiley and bright-eyed. This is especially true for clients at work. He can just put on whatever face will charm their socks off.

From my perspective, they are both VERY fake people when they are around certain people. Like impersonal acquaintances. It's just weird being able to watch an ENTJ do this from an outside perspective, because they're both close enough to me that they don't usually bother faking their mood in my presence.

:cheese:

People find it HILARIOUS that I do that. I'll literally be angry one minute, stomping around and shouting at the sheer idiocy of drivers on the road in my car, but the second I get out, I'm like sugary Mary Poppins on ecstacy. :D

I might be walking somewhere PISSED OFF with eerily homicidal fantasies, stomping on every bug I see on the ground.... :steam: :steam: :steam: but as soon as someone stops to greet me, I'm like "Hey man, good morning!! :cheers: "

G

Ginkgo

I don't always fake emotion, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis.

No but seriously, I only fake emotion when I can't gather my emotions for the right time. During my early teens, I suffered from near crippling social anxiety, so I usually had to pass myself off as alrighty tighties. The mounting pressure usually caused me to piss my pants, leading others to wonder why I would be smiling.

Ok, ok. For serious this time... once I adopted that cheeky gesture Japanese girls make when they're happy. They tilt their head, squint their eyes, and smile with a perky enthusiasm. Something like this:

Cosplay-Japan-003.JPG

... Oh wait no wrong one.

Japanese_girl_in_black.jpg

ya there.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
once I adopted that cheeky gesture Japanese girls make when they're happy. They tilt their head, squint their eyes, and smile with a perky enthusiasm.

Haha, guys can be ulzzang, too, Tater.

xV4lR.jpg

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Like most of these answers, I automatically mirror the energy level and body language of those around me most of the time. I cannot fake a facial expression. It is just outside my skill set. That means posed pictures of me are consistently terrible. :shrug:

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Copying facial expressions=not so much

A general mimicking of mood/energy through gestures and voice=sometimes, and I suppose this could lead to sort of copying the facial expression, but it's more of picking up the mood first.

I can be quite the little copycat sometimes. I pick up on other people's voices so much that I hardly know which one of them is mine :laugh: