• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] effects of upbringing

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
hi guys

i was wondering what psychological conditions would a person have
if they were brought up in a pampered atmosphere till 12-14 years and from 15-24 had one parent both abusing and relying on them for their health issues and being bed ridden from 21-24. while this teen/young adult goes through regular schooling and obtains professional degrees while still care giving.

would it be a reactive attachment disorder? can that develop anywhere after 3 years of age?

quamdel

MBTI Type
INTP
umm... going to take a swing in the dark at this...

Why are you worried about what psychological conditions? has the whole experience left you more anxious? more isolated? you have to know how you feel.

but if your not sure...

Reactive Attachment Disorder
by LP(quamdel)
(and good ol' Wikipedia)

• uncommon disorder that can severely affect children
  • RAD is characterized by markedly disturbed and developmentally inappropriate ways of relating socially in most contexts
  • It can take the form of a persistent failure to initiate or respond to most social interactions in a developmentally appropriate way—known as the "inhibited" form
  • or can present itself as indiscriminate sociability, such as excessive familiarity with relative strangers—known as the "disinhibited form".
  • RAD arises from a failure to form normal attachments to primary caregivers in early childhood. Such a failure could result from severe early experiences of neglect, abuse, abrupt separation from caregivers between the ages of six months and three years, frequent change of caregivers, or a lack of caregiver responsiveness to a child's communicative efforts.
  • Children with RAD are presumed to have grossly disturbed internal working models of relationships which may lead to interpersonal and behavioral difficulties in later life. There are few studies of long-term effects, and there is a lack of clarity about the presentation of the disorder beyond the age of five years

Criteria
ICD-10 describes reactive attachment disorder of childhood, known as RAD, and disinhibited attachment disorder, less well known as DAD. DSM-IV-TR also describes reactive attachment disorder of infancy or early childhood divided into two subtypes, inhibited type and disinhibited type, both known as RAD. The two classifications are similar, and both include:

• markedly disturbed and developmentally inappropriate social relatedness in most contexts
  • the disturbance is not accounted for solely by developmental delay and does not meet the criteria for pervasive developmental disorder
  • onset before five years of age
  • a history of significant neglect
  • an implicit lack of identifiable, preferred attachment figure

In DSM-IV-TR the inhibited form is described as: Persistent failure to initiate or respond in a developmentally appropriate fashion to most social interactions, as manifest by excessively inhibited, hypervigilant, or highly ambivalent and contradictory responses (e.g. the child may respond to caregivers with a mixture of approach, avoidance, and resistance to comforting, or may exhibit "frozen watchfulness", hypervigilance while keeping an impassive and still demeanour).[4] Such infants do not seek and accept comfort at times of threat, alarm or distress, thus failing to maintain "proximity", an essential element of attachment behavior. The disinhibited form shows: Diffuse attachments as manifest by indiscriminate sociability with marked inability to exhibit appropriate selective attachments (e.g., excessive familiarity with relative strangers or lack of selectivity in choice of attachment figures).[4] There is therefore a lack of "specificity" of attachment figure, the second basic element of attachment behavior.

The ICD-10 descriptions are comparable save that ICD-10 includes in its description several elements not included in DSM-IV-TR as follows:

• abuse, (psychological or physical), in addition to neglect
  • associated emotional disturbance
  • poor social interaction with peers, aggression towards self and others, misery, and growth failure in some cases, (inhibited form only)
  • evidence of capacity for social reciprocity and responsiveness as shown by elements of normal social relatedness in interactions with appropriately responsive, non-deviant adults, (disinhibited form only)

Umm... i guess my question is... are you sure its RAD?

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
the experience has left me independent and assertive and upset but maybe there is no problem here. but i've noticed my trust factor is low. maybe that's how it should be.

quamdel

MBTI Type
INTP
i was going to say you sound like a well adjusted person so maybe RAD is a bit extreme. Having issues with trust is pretty normal coming from an adverse childhood experience. You must be a resilient person. Kudos! I would say you wanted to work on something, it would be getting to know other people in the world. Like-minded people tend to gravite toward each other, especially when they know they aren't alone.

Oh and the anger is understandable. But if you can't use it constructively, just let it go. You will breathe easier, trust me.

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
quamdel, thanks for ur inputs, i appreciate it, pretty positive. :)

quamdel

MBTI Type
INTP
:D
No problem! happy to help! And I use death metal and metalcore to let my anger out, one head bang at a time.