• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What is intuition?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Hmmmm... I don't necessarily agree with this as the fact that the concrete thinker would eventually think abstractly, but the trigger for the abstract thought was a concrete fact. I think Intuition would just leap to the thought without any conscious provocation.

Ne and Ni don't necessarily need to see an object for them to have an idea about it. Where as the idea that Si and Se create is based or inspired by an object in their vicinity.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sensing is a pathetic excuse for relying on empirical thinking, which my cat usually uses, but only because it has no other choice.

No, your cat doesn't use empirical thought. It does something because it wants to.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Hmmmm... I don't necessarily agree with this as the fact that the concrete thinker would eventually think abstractly, but the trigger for the abstract thought was a concrete fact. I think Intuition would just leap to the thought without any conscious provocation.

Ne and Ni don't necessarily need to see an object for them to have an idea about it. Where as the idea that Si and Se create is based or inspired by an object in their vicinity.

Well said!! :yes:

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Intuition: Gut feeling, 6th sense, psychic power, 3rd eye vision, those are the words that come to mind when I think of intuition. I know how new agey of me...don't hate! Lol

metasapiens

MBTI Type
N>JI
No, your cat doesn't use empirical thought. It does something because it wants to.

My cat does something it wants to, unless this leads to reproduce a dangerous situation it already experienced. It's an empirical thinker, like any mammals.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
N is more comfortable relying on gut-feelings, rather than what they can sense around their environment.

S is more comfortable relying on what they make sense out of their environment, rather than gut-feelings.

That is, if you want it to be defined this simply.

The "gut feelings" thing is a problematic description, because Sensors, especially Se, also speak of "gut feelings" or "going with their gut." A very simplistic example might be an athlete, very skilled at his sport, making a split-second decision based on gut instinct. The gut feeling in this case comes from Se, and the scope of the gut feeling is the here and now. I would suggest the "gut feeling" comes from using a perceiving function in such a way that it "makes a decision" without having a judging function come into play.

Intuition is more about looking beyond the here and now (Se) or one's experiences (Si). Ne sees connections and patterns that are based upon the observed, but go far beyond the observed, for instance, to be inspired as if by a muse. Ni sees connections that go "deeper", and result in a highly intuitive understanding of whatever subject is under investigation. In both cases, there is an element of "guessing" and "wondering," and not always a "gut feeling" of some truth or another. I would suggest that it is the habit of always guessing and wondering that leads to the Ni and Ne versions of gut feelings, as one's practice leads one to identify and classify patterns quickly, without judging functions consciously making a decision.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
N: "Something tells me God exists."
S: "God exists because the bible says so."
N: Maybe God influenced the bible...it must be true! Or maybe Satan did, so it's false. How would we know??
S: There's no evidence for a god, and a lot of evidence that religious leaders have used religion to manipulate their followers. I'll decide based on the facts.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

N: Maybe God influenced the bible...it must be true! Or maybe Satan did, so it's false. How would we know??
S: There's no evidence for a god, and a lot of evidence that religious leaders have used religion to manipulate their followers. I'll decide based on the facts.

I read somewhere that SJ's are among the most to populate a church. If this fact were true, what do you suppose there reasoning is for attending? Religion isn't the best way to describe S v N because it disturbs the fact that S's have no fact that a God exists, and yet they blindly believe (a.k.a. faith) that there is one. This I'm sure only corresponds with extreme S's though, perhaps the balance between the two aspects allows this to occur?

I guess they perceive what they see in religion as a fact and then accept it... hmmm, I find that an interesting take on perceiving, or perhaps a good example in how objects can be 'manipulated' in order to fit the perception instead of the other way around.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I read somewhere that SJ's are among the most to populate a church. If this fact were true, what do you suppose there reasoning is for attending? Religion isn't the best way to describe S v N because it disturbs the fact that S's have no fact that a God exists, and yet they blindly believe (a.k.a. faith) that there is one. This I'm sure only corresponds with extreme S's though, perhaps the balance between the two aspects allows this to occur?

I guess they perceive what they see in religion as a fact and then accept it... hmmm, I find that an interesting take on perceiving, or perhaps a good example in how objects can be 'manipulated' in order to fit the perception instead of the other way around.

Okay....Dude here is asserting that an intuitive person would most likely not believe in God. :huh:

That makes no sense. An N could take 3 random objects and connect them together and conclude that 'there is a God'. Just lke an S could take and see 3 obviously related items and conclude that there isn't.

I just hope that's your 'random' approach to thought at work. You're just throwing that out there to see where it lands, right? Otherwise :doh:

I swear the some of you have no clue about what you are talking about here.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I can't really comment on the thinking pattern of religious people honestly, so I won't. I don't think SJ or S is tied to religion intrinsically, I was just making a snarky counterpoint. I think SJ tends to value things like tradition and community and in the states, these things are very closely linked to religion so SJs tend to get more involved with church activities and get in the habit of going to church every week. Not to mention SJ might be more uncomfortable going against the values they were raised with and again, that's typically religious in the states. I would bet a good portion of the people who go to church weekly go more for the community than the religion. And by no means are all SJs religious, particularly the younger ones.

Hard to say what will happen when non-religion becomes the norm, but I'm excited to see it.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I can't really comment on the thinking pattern of religious people honestly, so I won't. I don't think SJ or S is tied to religion intrinsically, I was just making a snarky counterpoint. I think SJ tends to value things like tradition and community and in the states, these things are very closely linked to religion so SJs tend to get more involved with church activities and get in the habit of going to church every week. Not to mention SJ might be more uncomfortable going against the values they were raised with and again, that's typically religious in the states. I would bet a good portion of the people who go to church weekly go more for the community than the religion. And by no means are all SJs religious, particularly the younger ones.

Hard to say what will happen when non-religion becomes the norm, but I'm excited to see it.

Sounds sound to me.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Intuition: to have an idea how things work without having read the manual :D

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE8kyQOwoGU"].[/YOUTUBE]

coconut

MBTI Type
INTJ
I read somewhere that SJ's are among the most to populate a church. If this fact were true, what do you suppose there reasoning is for attending?

SJ's have a need to belong and tend to put more trust in organizations. So I'd guess there are SJ's in church who haven't thought through their core beliefs. In other words, there might be an equal number of SJ's and NT's who have a deep spiritual belief, but of those who don't, SJ's will go through the motions of belonging to a church anyway.