• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] The INTP Appreciation Thread

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's that whole "I've got it all worked out and flowcharted in my head and because what you're proposing (or heaven forbid doing) isn't on the chart, you're absolutely wrong and I have no use for you" thing.

Sounds like an INTJ. Does it seem that Extraverts are much more likely to take an INTP for an INTJ than other Introverts are?

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
It could mean several things, but some of the negative qualities I've observed of INTP's in groups include:

Xenophobia, drama, mutual enabling, intolerance, pharisaicalness, and even outright cruelty.

I should also point out many other Introverts have similar problems in groups of all or mostly the same type, so it isn't unique to INTP's. In fact, it might be dangerous to have too many of the same type in almost any group.

And of course, I cannot stress enough that INTP's as individuals more than make up for this, and can thrive in more diverse, healthy groups. In such groups (and individually) they can display:

General helpfulness, insight, constructive criticism, humor, and new ideas.

I agree, they're amazingly good at what they do. I concur with the parts in bold.

I haven't noticed the specific negative traits mentioned above, but another thing really stands out:

My husband is a very well-balanced, personable guy, but when he gets together with one of his INTP colleagues, talk always turns to how things aren't running very efficiently or how so-and-so does it wrong.

As soon as that person is let go, a new person becomes It and then everything is his fault. Now I just laugh, I can see the dynamic so well.

Jae Rae

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Xenophobia, drama, mutual enabling, intolerance, pharisaicalness, and even outright cruelty.

I should also point out many other Introverts have similar problems in groups of all or mostly the same type, so it isn't unique to INTP's. In fact, it might be dangerous to have too many of the same type in almost any group.

I will definitely second the final conclusion you made. I've seen some pretty insufferable Extraverted communities.
It sadly seems to be a natural form of behavior for humans. If you gather-up a bunch of people of the same type, they will always form elitism. That's right, I said always.

I really think it's a matter of health, unrelated to type. The single type communities become especially bad because every healthy person sees the direction it's taking and generally leave. Healthy people go and form websites like this one.

It really has been a remarkable psychological experiment. It is very fascinating that with little engineering, this diversified forum has become more informative and especially more congenial than any of the single-type communities.

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
It's difficult for me to express appreciation for INTPs without spilling NF all over the place.

Disillusioned, bitter, cynical INTPs are annoying as heck and I can't bear their presence.

Healthy, curious, mature INTPs are fantastic creations that would cause me to believe in a loving, creative, mind-blowingly beautiful God when nothing else would.

(Which is delightfully ironic, given the propensity of INTPs on these forums to express die-hard atheism.)

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
INTPs are great as long as you don't ask too much* of them.

*You will inevitably underestimate this. Just don't expect anything.

EsoteriEccentri

MBTI Type
INFP
I appreciate INTPs.
I like the way they think.
I'm 99% positive that my dad is an INTP, he and my ENFP mum are the two most interesting people I know. He has hundreds of books on practically every subject under the sun... philosophy, psychology, history ect... (though mostly factual books as he only read fiction on holidays, but saying this he has introduced me to most of my favourite fiction authors) and he is just generally a very interesting person to talk to and I am proud that he is my father. He is an astro-physicist but works in IT. And presuming he is an INTP, he fits the idea of "knowledge for knowledge's sake..."

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I appreciate INTPs.
I like the way they think.
I'm 99% positive that my dad is an INTP, he and my ENFP mum are the two most interesting people I know. He has hundreds of books on practically every subject under the sun... philosophy, psychology, history ect... (though mostly factual books as he only read fiction on holidays, but saying this he has introduced me to most of my favourite fiction authors) and he is just generally a very interesting person to talk to and I am proud that he is my father. He is an astro-physicist but works in IT. And presuming he is an INTP, he fits the idea of "knowledge for knowledge's sake..."

If your parents are ENFP and INTP, then that makes you a neat little amalgamation of the two.
Every time I hear about these rather common ENFP/INTP relationships, it stirs a lot of thoughts. I have a female ENFP friend, and naturally the first thing that comes to mind is being in a relationship with her, which makes me snicker.

EsoteriEccentri

MBTI Type
INFP
If your parents are ENFP and INTP, then that makes you a neat little amalgamation of the two.
Every time I hear about these rather common ENFP/INTP relationships, it stirs a lot of thoughts. I have a female ENFP friend, and naturally the first thing that comes to mind is being in a relationship with her, which makes me snicker.

I know! ^^ I'm the perfect mix of the two, especially seeing as my mum has been tested and she is quite low on E for an extrovert - though definitely an extrovert, and at a random guess I'd say my Dad was quite high on F for a thinker - (though maybe I just hope that is true! He's bound to know his myer briggs type, I'll ask next time I see him. But my mum is positive he's INTP aswell so I don't think we'll be surprised xP)

Unfortunately, though, I fear I inherited the bad characteristics of both, rather than the good. =( Plus new bad characteristics thrown in for good measure that aren't in either of them.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know! ^^ I'm the perfect mix of the two, especially seeing as my mum has been tested and she is quite low on E for an extrovert - though definitely an extrovert, and at a random guess I'd say my Dad was quite high on F for a thinker - (though maybe I just hope that is true! He's bound to know his myer briggs type, I'll ask next time I see him. But my mum is positive he's INTP aswell so I don't think we'll be surprised xP)

Unfortunately, though, I fear I inherited the bad characteristics of both, rather than the good. =( Plus new bad characteristics thrown in for good measure that aren't in either of them.

Oh, pshaw. I'm sure you inherited plenty of good qualities. :)

I'm very IN, but I don't score strongly on TP. Still, I'm basically always an INTP according to tests.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
What do you mean "intolerable"?

I think that it's true that any group dominated by one type will become intolerable. In the case of a group if INTP's this is what it becomes:

Pointlessly and cluelessly theoretical. In a group INTP's will not see their weaknesses, one of which being that they tend not gather enough information before drawing conclusions. Then they will take this incomplete information and make the most elaborate and analytical sounding conclusions, not realizing that it is based on incomplete data/observation. Now an INTP who stays in contact with an ENTP or INTJ can get a reality check on their ideas and then start over with a better foundation for their logical analyzing.

But in a group of INTP's they just hear the logical jargon that they others are spewing, and since it sounds logical they all readily accept it. Then the most unusual sort of group-think sets in. INTP's are meant to be independent thinkers, but in groups they have this way of arguing while being in agreement at the same time. Eventually their thinking becomes more and more similar and for INTP's that means more theoretical and more divorced from reality, interested in abstract trivialities that no other type could be interested in. There also seems to develop a greater lack of social regard for other people (even by INTP standards).

As I've said though I think any type becomes intolerable when concentrated together. This is simply what I've seen INTP's act like in groups.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...As I've said though I think any type becomes intolerable when concentrated together. This is simply what I've seen INTP's act like in groups.

I agree with the comment about "any type." I was picturing a bunch of ISFJs sitting in a social circle, talking about what their children had for lunch and who said what at work and what color curtains they'd like for their kitchen. :sick: Inbreeding of any type can end up being ugly.

That was a nice assessment of the potential problems of INTP groups as well.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Now an INTP who stays in contact with an ENTP or INTJ can get a reality check on their ideas and then start over with a better foundation for their logical analyzing.

You have a point of course.
If you want us to say we love you, it is okay to just ask :hug:

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
general reaction to the entire thread:

:rofl1:

I think that it's true that any group dominated by one type will become intolerable. In the case of a group if INTP's this is what it becomes:

Pointlessly and cluelessly theoretical. In a group INTP's will not see their weaknesses, one of which being that they tend not gather enough information before drawing conclusions. Then they will take this incomplete information and make the most elaborate and analytical sounding conclusions, not realizing that it is based on incomplete data/observation.

true, true... not just in a group. if an intp is under stress, that is likely how he/she would react too. i think.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I like that they insist on thinking they're the better type, too snobbish to self improve, while the extraverts of the same latter persuasion pass them up.

It's LOLable.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Pointlessly and cluelessly theoretical. In a group INTP's will not see their weaknesses, one of which being that they tend not gather enough information before drawing conclusions. Then they will take this incomplete information and make the most elaborate and analytical sounding conclusions, not realizing that it is based on incomplete data/observation. Now an INTP who stays in contact with an ENTP or INTJ can get a reality check on their ideas and then start over with a better foundation for their logical analyzing.

Eh? I would expect the opposite: more and more pointless information gathering, unable to draw a conclusion. The weakness of the NTP type blown up large.

But in a group of INTP's they just hear the logical jargon that they others are spewing, and since it sounds logical they all readily accept it. Then the most unusual sort of group-think sets in. INTP's are meant to be independent thinkers, but in groups they have this way of arguing while being in agreement at the same time. Eventually their thinking becomes more and more similar and for INTP's that means more theoretical and more divorced from reality, interested in abstract trivialities that no other type could be interested in. There also seems to develop a greater lack of social regard for other people (even by INTP standards).

True.

P.S. We're still awesome.