• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Oi Forums People: How Do I Vibe?

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
...In terms of other ENTPs?

Excuse the self indulgence but I'm curious because as much as I relate to other ENTPs I don't see myself as presenting the same way. I feel too fluffy and iunno, squishy Fe or something equally disturbing.

I'm wondering if enneagram plays a role here, in terms of Tritype I'm a 9w8 second. I just don't feel like I go for the jugular as much as other ENTPs do, I don't even think about it and hold back, it's just not me. My 8 wing plays out more with selfishness or self drive than running over others. I also think I'm more trusting of other people's intentions, maybe more I should be.

If Whatever was still claiming ENTP I wouldn't be curious cause I can so see similarities in her, but she's deserted the NT camp for greener, more colour intensive pastures of the SP camp :cry:

And don't make me uncomfortable with compliments, I'm not fishing for them, my ego is full up already, oh yeah! :cheese:

The stereotypes are useful. I think of them as 0th or 1st order guesses, to be refined by actually getting to know someone. It's tempting to think of ENTPs as people who habitually go for the jugular (or more aptly, for lots of pinpricks and paper cuts), as they spar with their ideas, because those tend to be the examples that appear on the forum, with the lemony twist of internet (non)etiquette.

The forum venue (and text-based internet in general) distorts personality and communication style. I find that all too many people give in to the temptation of using the "internet shield," scoring little personal pricks and jibes against others online with a degree of anonymity that prevents the usual real life feedback that prevents such behavior. MBTI type doesn't appear to make a difference in terms of giving in to this temptation, but those who give in are fairly easy to type, because the INTJ jerks tend to act one way, and the ENTP jerks tend to act another way, and so on and so forth through all the types. When one airs one's dirty laundry this way, the MBTI type often seems to fit like a glove, not a box ... especially the negative attributes.

It is when one does not give in to such temptations, when one maintains one's integrity in spite of the high degree of anonymity, that it is suddenly difficult for forumites to determine type by behavior/style. "Oh crap ... it's a nice normal person ... I can't tell what type they are ..."

So even though you're not fishing for compliments, you deserve them anyway. You are a wonderful person with both charm and integrity who won't take every opportunity to knock others down a peg or two, and this would make it hard to type you no matter your type. You are an ENTP, and you remind me of many other curious, playful and graceful ENTPs I know in my life.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The stereotypes are useful. I think of them as 0th or 1st order guesses, to be refined by actually getting to know someone. It's tempting to think of ENTPs as people who habitually go for the jugular (or more aptly, for lots of pinpricks and paper cuts), as they spar with their ideas, because those tend to be the examples that appear on the forum, with the lemony twist of internet (non)etiquette.
It's not just online. And these aren't stereotypes - they are personality types, there is justification for observing and identifying patterns, or else fuck typology and fuck typing anyone! ENTPs are like a poorly cultivated clay soil to me. They can seem squishy on the surface, but dig a little deeper and you find a rock hard impenetrable pan.
INTPs are the opposite, dry and crusty on the surface, but dig a little deeper and they really open up, you can sink your roots in forever. This is just my impression, you understand, and it is probably based on having a profound mistrust of Fe, especially ENTP Fe, which always comes across to me as phoney. I see through it instantly. I'm very sensitive to that vibe and I never get it from Trin.
There is a neediness about ENTPs too. They need to have their egos stroked constantly. They need to feel special and be the centre of attention. They have a tendency to be narcissistic (all EXXPs do). That's just not Trin. (Of course they have wonderful qualities too, I'm just focusing on the negative stuff.)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In all honesty, when I was new here I thought you were more INFP'ish than ENTP'ish. Vibe-wise.

You seem to back out at all the right times when things get either inappropiate or just plain boring. Not very much like the average ENTP on the forum that likes to stick its teeth in just a little bit more.

Then I realized, you're just another ENTP but due to blue you apply your sense of responsibility where normal member ENTP's wouldn't, and it comes off as INFP'ish sometimes.

Blue screwed you up royally. :yes:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It's not just online. And these aren't stereotypes - they are personality types, there is justification for observing and identifying patterns, or else fuck typology and fuck typing anyone! ENTPs are like a poorly cultivated clay soil to me. They can seem squishy on the surface, but dig a little deeper and you find a rock hard impenetrable pan.
INTPs are the opposite, dry and crusty on the surface, but dig a little deeper and they really open up, you can sink your roots in forever. This is just my impression, you understand, and it is probably based on having a profound mistrust of Fe, especially ENTP Fe, which always comes across to me as phoney. I see through it instantly. I'm very sensitive to that vibe and I never get it from Trin.
There is a neediness about ENTPs too. They need to have their egos stroked constantly. They need to feel special and be the centre of attention. They have a tendency to be narcissistic (all EXXPs do). That's just not Trin. (Of course they have wonderful qualities too, I'm just focusing on the negative stuff.)

You begin to strike me like those woman on tv shows, who condemned the male human race because they had a bad night with one.

Becoming a bit more entp wouldnt hurt you, me thinks.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You begin to strike me like those woman on tv shows, who condemned the male human race because they had a bad night with one.

Becoming a bit more entp wouldnt hurt you, me thinks.
Fuck off.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's not just online.
Online magnifies certain negative traits. Negative traits are present in real life, too, but they're better hidden.

And these aren't stereotypes - they are personality types, there is justification for observing and identifying patterns, or else fuck typology and fuck typing anyone!
The patterns and typology exist. I'm pointing out certain lenses that can affect what the patterns look like.

ENTPs are like a poorly cultivated clay soil to me. They can seem squishy on the surface, but dig a little deeper and you find a rock hard impenetrable pan.

Interestingly, Trin has in the past expressed serious doubts about my being INTJ, because I lacked the "harshness." It was a totally valid observation. I find it ironic that people would disbelieve that she is ENTP because she's too nice.

I believe it's possible to have one's core type be colored by other things that are more evident in personality. The way I look at it is that the Jungian cognitive functions strongly affect how one perceives and judges the world, and that is reflected in various patterns one sees in personality and personality types. However, the correlation is not 100%. People absorb the judgments and behaviors of those around them, and adopt them for their own. The processing behind the scenes is still the core type, but the effective judgments and decisions can be those that are "stereotypical" of other types, often giving a confusing impression.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah. It's possible I'm just prejudiced against ENTPs. I've known some shitty ones. But bear in mind that this thread was only created because she doesn't really identify with other ENTPs herself.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

This is going to be an ineffective post:

I'm with you Trin, I'm with you.

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP
Eh, I think your Fe is just better developed than most. I've not been hanging around here that much recently, and I tend to not post that much even when I am here (but I tend to come back near major life changes, when I'm trying to figure out who I really am), but when I've read your posts I've identified with them a fair bit.

When I started here I thought I was an INTP. I eventually realized that I was simply a shy E, which accounts for a lot of screwiness and explains why I need people so much. I value others, I need them, so I know that I need to treat them decently. When I took the function test a few years ago I was mostly Ne and Ti, with some Fi. Now, I have rather strong Fe and Se, although Ne and Ti remain strongest. I don't like to attack people (unless I think they deserve it :devil: ). My stronger Fe has made me a lot better at not pissing people off. I love bantering with people, but not in a harmful way. I can verbally tear someone to shreds, but I rarely want to. I did debate team for all of high school. I love tossing around ideas. It was a good outlet for my argumentative tendencies, but it didn't allow personal attacks, which casual arguments so often degenerate into. I prefer that, keeping the argument to the topic, not letting it fall into pedantry or barbs about character.

Ne + Ti can leave people going for the throat a lot, often without realizing the effect that can have. You have Fe, which tempers it a bit. Being able to empathize with others makes you want to be gentler, I think. Three years ago, I thought Fe seemed rather manipulative and dishonorable. Now, I understand the use a lot better. I can also make and keep friends much more easily. Sure, it has it's nasty aspects, like any function. But an ENTP with Fe can do awesome things, in part because they don't offend everyone all the time.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well, you have made a lot of intps answer to your thread; this is normally counter-indicative for being an entp and only works if you start a thread with "All INTPs have a small p-ness" :D.

You and I both know dats da truth! :D

I personally always felt that this kind of trouble or challenge to the status quo is imperative for new insights on a matter and therefore for the creation of new ideas.

Agree with you there.

So if you have a strong opinion as an entp, but always try to keep everything fluffy with everyone ( as long as they dont step outa line ), it can ( but must not ) create the double-face for you.

That would be part of it, astute one. But I don't feel as though I have a double-face, it's more that I feel needy and fake at times, because I care too much about making other people happy, even at my own expense at times.

Nah I think you're way off. In fact, it's the lack of being calculating that makes it hard for me to see Trin as ENTP. They seem to have a natural cynicism that I just don't get from her. At all. Of course, she could just be REALLY good at hiding it. :) And she's never competitive. She almost comes off as a tough-minded ENFP, like ergo, or Cze-Cze.

You know I've never bought your ENTPness, Trin, and that's not just because I think you're awesome. :D

:wub:

I'm competitive with myself, not so much with others, part of that could be that I don't wish to get competitive about something that I can't win or at least have a good challenge attempting to. In areas that involve natural talent like art and such I don't stand a chance, in other areas involving tactic or logic I rarely find a challenge irl from someone interested in competition. My mother would say I was competitive as a child but I guess I often don't feel like there's a point to it now.

In terms of cynicism there's an uncomfortable mix, I don't enjoy being cynical, I get more satisfaction out of being optimistic, but I can generally see the cynical side and at times it can take conscious effort to let go of that point of view. I went through a stage end of last year where I was quite angry and cynical at life and while I felt vindicated in my point of view it made me miserable to see things that way.

It's a tough call indeed, I am tho personally convinced there's a lot more to trinity we havent seen on this forum and probably never gonna be. And that shady side hidden in unvoiced mysteries, which makes it intresting to get her to know, feels entp to me.

If you haven't seen it then I don't understand it or aren't completely comfortable with it yet. With time most things tend to come out.

It is when one does not give in to such temptations, when one maintains one's integrity in spite of the high degree of anonymity, that it is suddenly difficult for forumites to determine type by behavior/style. "Oh crap ... it's a nice normal person ... I can't tell what type they are ..."

I don't see the traits I mentioned as not relating too as negative things, I don't appreciate walking all over others with total disregard for their feelings but being smart, witty and two steps ahead in a debate where you can go for the jugular isn't something I see as bad, it can be quite admirable from my pov. Just want to make it clear that the things I don't relate to are not negative things, and I don't consider myself evolved or anything like that because I don't relate. Quite the opposite.

INTPs are the opposite, dry and crusty on the surface, but dig a little deeper and they really open up, you can sink your roots in forever.

INTPs have the ultimate squishy centre :wub:

This is just my impression, you understand, and it is probably based on having a profound mistrust of Fe, especially ENTP Fe, which always comes across to me as phoney. I see through it instantly. I'm very sensitive to that vibe and I never get it from Trin.

I do feel fake because of it at times, it's a horrible feeling. It's something that's accentuated when interacting with a Fi user who can just cut through that crap.

I'm pretty uncomfortable with that. I'm sure they'd be some good psycho analysis as to why :D

In all honesty, when I was new here I thought you were more INFP'ish than ENTP'ish. Vibe-wise.

That's actually how I feel. Don't get me wrong, I don't question my ENTPnesss, and I know I'm not an INFP, especially irl I don't relate to them but online I appreciate their vibe, it can feel familiar.

Then I realized, you're just another ENTP but due to blue you apply your sense of responsibility where normal member ENTP's wouldn't, and it comes off as INFP'ish sometimes.

Blue screwed you up royally. :yes:

Blue screwed me up :steam: WHY?!?!?!

This is going to be an ineffective post:

I'm with you Trin, I'm with you.

Whatever that means, thank you, from the bottom of the soulless pit that used to hold my heart!

I've not been hanging around here that much recently, and I tend to not post that much even when I am here (but I tend to come back near major life changes, when I'm trying to figure out who I really am), but when I've read your posts I've identified with them a fair bit.

Wicked!

When I started here I thought I was an INTP. I eventually realized that I was simply a shy E, which accounts for a lot of screwiness and explains why I need people so much. I value others, I need them, so I know that I need to treat them decently. When I took the function test a few years ago I was mostly Ne and Ti, with some Fi. Now, I have rather strong Fe and Se, although Ne and Ti remain strongest. I don't like to attack people (unless I think they deserve it :devil: ). My stronger Fe has made me a lot better at not pissing people off. I love bantering with people, but not in a harmful way. I can verbally tear someone to shreds, but I rarely want to. I did debate team for all of high school. I love tossing around ideas. It was a good outlet for my argumentative tendencies, but it didn't allow personal attacks, which casual arguments so often degenerate into. I prefer that, keeping the argument to the topic, not letting it fall into pedantry or barbs about character.

Can totally relate to that!

Ne + Ti can leave people going for the throat a lot, often without realizing the effect that can have. You have Fe, which tempers it a bit. Being able to empathize with others makes you want to be gentler, I think. Three years ago, I thought Fe seemed rather manipulative and dishonorable. Now, I understand the use a lot better. I can also make and keep friends much more easily. Sure, it has it's nasty aspects, like any function. But an ENTP with Fe can do awesome things, in part because they don't offend everyone all the time.

If you don't mind me asking, what age group are you in? It's not relevant, I'm just curious.

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm 18. Heading off to college soon! So I came here when I was 15, which probably contributed to my confusion. 15 year olds are usually somewhat confused I think.

But yeah... I recently had a talk with a friend of mine about a similar topic to this. I enjoy being all happy and bubbly, but I've tended to use a fairly icy wall because in the past I didn't have enough Fe to not piss people off. So I got hurt. I didn't much care if no one liked my wall though. But I've been breaking down the wall, which is hard, but means that I don't always push people away. Given that I'm E, pushing people away => depression. I used to be cynical! I decided it wasn't very fun. :D So, yeah... Things to resolve before I go to a college known for it's insane workload! I'd rather be confused now than then.

My true self feels more fake than my wall, I think, to most people. :huh:

R

ReflecTcelfeR

More specifically! I feel the same as you most of the time. I blame it on being raised by a Dom-Fe-er. It's not a bad thing in any right, but just a result of this fact.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm 18. Heading off to college soon! So I came here when I was 15, which probably contributed to my confusion. 15 year olds are usually somewhat confused I think.

And some 30 year olds :D

But yeah... I recently had a talk with a friend of mine about a similar topic to this. I enjoy being all happy and bubbly, but I've tended to use a fairly icy wall because in the past I didn't have enough Fe to not piss people off. So I got hurt. I didn't much care if no one liked my wall though. But I've been breaking down the wall, which is hard, but means that I don't always push people away. Given that I'm E, pushing people away => depression. I used to be cynical! I decided it wasn't very fun. :D So, yeah... Things to resolve before I go to a college known for it's insane workload! I'd rather be confused now than then.

You sound very mature for your years.

More specifically! I feel the same as you most of the time. I blame it on being raised by a Dom-Fe-er. It's not a bad thing in any right, but just a result of this fact.

Interesting point. My mother is an ESFJ so Fe values were things I was made to think about from a young age. Oooh maybe I could blame her! :D

My true self feels more fake than my wall, I think, to most people. :huh:

Also interesting. Much of the time I'm not even sure where my defences end and the real me starts.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

That's what I do! Except I blame my mom :D. It's actually quite interesting I recently spoke with my brother about a theory I have about Fe and my personality. Let's see if this relates to you!

I always wondered whether I was always an INTP, or whether I 'became' an INTP and I have to come to a conclusion; Fe is a very suppressive power as it wishes harmony be maintained always. And so the wildness of Ne and the bluntness of Ti are greatly quelled when growing up because either one of these functions can break said peace. I also believe that this suppression creates a build up in these two function which ultimately explodes after a while because of restrained use. Meaning that I was always the way I was, but this damper created an illusion that convinced both myself and others of being completely different than who I actually was, and over the years I started opening up and both of these top functions are bursting out through the seams and it's freaking my parents out because they aren't use to the extreme 'change' that I'm going through.

Because of this fact I am always extremely wary of my type because the delusion that I was under was so strong that I can't quite believe the change that I have made really happened. Does this make sense?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I recon get what you're saying but I don't think I relate. My need to consider other people's feelings in everything I did was something taught and drilled into me at a young age, in a conscious way. It was taught in both an emotive and rational way so it made sense.

Who I really am and who I presented as a teen growing up were two different things but for reasons unrelated to type.

I think one thing that accentuated Fe was I naturally sought feedback and I was capable of getting positive feedback most of the time when I was young, particularly for things that involved sharing and thinking of others etc. That changed to only getting negative feedback when I was about 15. My lead functions were still Ne-Ti but I didn't express myself in a manner that would draw attention, because it would never be good.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Then your lessons turned out a lot better than mine. I wasn't really taught per se (through logic that is) it was just expected. Even so I suppose conditioning did teach me to implore my skills at good behavior as I did avoid punishment, though I am rather amazed at how meek I became because of it and this, I think, is my main point. Fe, from what I can see, whether consciously or not is meant really as a suppressive act. It's used mainly to balance the strength of the other functions. The unhealthy form of this hinders the productiveness of your thoughts because you will interpret your thoughts (with an unhealthy Fe) as not being helpful at all and greatly devalue yourself.

I let my mind get away from me. In your case I just see a well developed Fe like every one else has stated. The fact that you have tact and know when to press matters and when not too is amazing to have. I think what you are experiencing is a healthy thinking process! Good job :cheese:.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you're a Type 9 NT, you'll seem like an optimistic NF to the depressive, morbid, Type 5 NTs. ;)