• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Ask an INTP

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm. The previous ask an INTP thread was much more fun. :(

Sunshine8

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I would definitely keep my N ness. I think there is a world of difference in how N's and S's see the world, and how they communicate.

Ask an INTP - wow - this is too good to be true!

Lot's of questions...

Do most of you struggle with internal conflict?
All INTPs that I have know intimately have cycles of wanting to be free but wanting to be in a relationship (thankfully my partner wants to be in the relationship muchmore than out of it, but he is honest about it), wanting to change jobs, but wanting the stability and growth his job, wanting to move to the country and be a hippy, to wanting to be involved in development or international crisis areas and help the world somehow...do you all have this happen?
What turns you on and off the most? Please don't just say mental debate versus emotional scenes - I would like specifics about the 'tone' of what you find sexy in another person, and for that matter, in yourself :)
What matters most to you?
What worries you the most?
If you could change one thing about the world to make it a better place for everyone in it, what would it be?

Thanks...I have more but this may be enough for now!

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
All INTPs that I have know intimately have cycles of wanting to be free but wanting to be in a relationship (thankfully my partner wants to be in the relationship muchmore than out of it, but he is honest about it), wanting to change jobs, but wanting the stability and growth his job, wanting to move to the country and be a hippy, to wanting to be involved in development or international crisis areas and help the world somehow...do you all have this happen?

Good questions! Yeah, this is an ongoing process for me. Do I go and get that Master's degree? Do I do this? What about that? I think it's part of Ne - seeing all the possibilities, all the different things we could pursue and enjoy and get fulfillment from. And it can sometimes be hard to commit to one because then you are "locked in" and your time and energy to pursue all the other things becomes less and less. This is why I like to keep my schedule very "open". I like a lot of time to be able to be spontaneous and to improvise. If I have the whole week booked up with engagements, then I feel kind of suffocated. It feels like "OK, this is going to be another one of those boring weeks where I just have to follow this schedule that's written on this piece of paper. Blah!" I like options - fun options, mentally challenging options, with good amounts of leisure and relaxation mixed in so that I can keep my mind fresh.

What turns you on and off the most? Please don't just say mental debate versus emotional scenes - I would like specifics about the 'tone' of what you find sexy in another person, and for that matter, in yourself :)

Hmmm. This may be a personal thing, but when first getting to know someone, I actually like to see an innocent, pure side. When someone flirts in an outwardly obvious or flamboyant way or tries to impose their will, I've just never been interested in that. There was a girl the other day who told me I should take my shirt off and I joked, "I wouldn't do that to you. You'd have to wear sunglasses!" Then she proceeds to lift up her shirt and show me how white her stomach is. Then she said, "See, if I can show you my white skin, you can show yours. Come on!" She's in really good shape and I guess me and the other girl who was there were supposed to be impressed, but the ESTJ girl just rolled her eyes and it was strange to me too. I just don't see how that is supposed to be a connecting point. It's like, "OK, you have an awesome stomach. So, what else is going on? Is there anything going on upstairs? Are the lights even on up there? Hello? McFly?" I've actually had women think I'm a jerk because I didn't "respond" the way that they thought I would to their flirting. I don't know how to describe it. I'm looking for something more than that. A sense of loyalty, a purity, the confidence that you don't have to show me this or show me that in order to get me to like you. Again, this may be me, but I love to go out on a first date and just chat it up about normal stuff. I like to pick your brain, maybe play devil's advocate with you to see how solid your viewpoints are, how well you have thought things out (big plus) or if you're just floating through life on autopilot and going with the crowd (big negative). Show me that you've thought things out to some degree and that you're an individual - that definitely gets my attention and gets me interested in knowing more.

The big picture of life. What's the point to this life? Once we figure that out, then we can move forward in that direction. For instance, I was once going to get a Ph.D., but then I realized that I wouldn't be any happier with a Ph.D. than without. 4-6 years of hard work and not any happier. I don't want to work towards something that doesn't bring fulfillment.

On a more personal level, I enjoy my independence a lot. I want to be around people who respect that and who trust me (and whom I can trust) to be who I am, which is a very independent person. I don't have time for "who did you have lunch with today?" "Where were you at 2:15?" "This Saturday you need to do X!" I don't have a problem answering those questions to the person who I'm with, but it's a matter of where are those questions coming from? If it's just normal conversation like "hey, what did you do today?", then I'll tell you openly and honestly (and you'll have nothing to worry about). But, if you can't trust me and you're always needing to check up on me and keep me under your little umbrella and monitoring me to fit your agenda, I just can't do that. I cannot do drama at all. I like to keep my life clutter-free so that I can think, observe, analyze, read, do fun things, etc. Maybe that's why I'm single. Cuz I'd rather read a good book than deal with even small amounts of dramatics.

Not much on a grand scale anymore. I've learned to be content and to not worry. "Have any of you added a single day to your life by worrying?" On a small scale, I sometimes worry that I'll miss some event that I told someone I'd be at. I'm so accustomed to having an open schedule, that I don't really keep a calendar. I just keep it all in my head - just like I do with people's birthdays, addresses, and other information (I still remember the birthdays of childhood friends of mine that I haven't spoken to in 15 years). So, sometimes I might commit to something "next Tuesday" and then on Wednesday morning, I'll go, "Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!! :doh:" I really don't mean to do it, I just get absorbed in some project and forget all about it.

If you could change one thing about the world to make it a better place for everyone in it, what would it be?

That everyone would actively pray. That's all I got on that one. Sorry my answers were so long, but you asked some great questions.

Sunshine8

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Thanks for such a great response INTPness...interesting what you said about the 'purity' of a person being important.

Perhaps that is why the MBTI matchmakers often put the INTP and the ENFJ together as a good match. The quest for the authentic and the sense of tasting the 'uniqueness' of a person, more so than any pre-cut idea of what is attractive...such as a flat stomach...

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would definitely keep my N ness. I think there is a world of difference in how N's and S's see the world, and how they communicate.

Ask an INTP - wow - this is too good to be true!

Lot's of questions...

Thanks...I have more but this may be enough for now!

I used too quite a lot when I was younger. I still sometimes do but no more than any other type I think. (Everyone has some internal conflict now and then, no? :) )

I think that the fact I have a job (kinda multiple jobs) that are very varying and always different every day takes a way most of the internal conflicts I used to have. I don't really have the feeling I don't belong as much anymore either. Rather, I have created my own space in my life where I do belong. It's my own space and no one elses and I love it.

I sometimes wonder how things would be for me if I was in a relationship, but realistically, I don't think I have enough free time to be a worthy partner for anyone. I work pretty much 6 days a week and sleep the other and spend a lot of time in other countries, a week here, a few days there. And when I don't work I have to procrastinate and just do stuff completely in my own pace, whatever it is. So I get energy again for work.

I bet I'd become stressed or overworked if I was in a relationship. Right now I feel great so a relationship isn't on my wishlist.

What turns you on and off the most? Submissiveness and suggestion. As for in myself, I'm not sure I can turn myself on. I'm pretty arrogant in my own way, but not like that. :D

Having the time and ability to put things in perspective. (I could explain in more detail, but I suppose it's just as simple as that. If I am capable and have the time to do this. Then everything that is important to me is a possibility for me. This is the fundament on which I build.)

Not having the time and ability to put things in perspective.

I regularly put forth snarky comments about peoples stupidity, about flawed political structures, about burocracy, and on and on. And I'd say things like "Why don't they do things like this." or "Why doesn't it work like that!?". Plenty of things about the world that annoy me on a regular basis.

But when it comes down to what I think of the world as in the complete picture and if I would like to change anything. Then no, I like the world just the way it is. I think being confronted with negativity and bad things is important in the bigger picture and allows us to create a much better perspective and outlook in the world. In a perfect world, no one would be happy.

Ultimately, if things weren't always this 'shit' in the world. I wouldn't have thought about how it should've been. And I'd be none the wiser. :)

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Maybe you could make this one five stars if you just brought the heat instead of bringing it down with your unwanted comparisons, Fluffywolf!

Just kidding. I don't care even a little what happens.

quamdel

MBTI Type
INTP
Have you ever been so distant from the world around you that when you look at yourself you wonder if your body is a costume and that your just an imaginary observer in another world. Hella creepy right?

Questions from one INTP to any other:

Do you ever wonder if people notice little speaking errors?
(Yup. And at this point i stop correcting them. :)

What's the best reference book you can recommend to have?
Descriptionary
Amazon.com: Descriptionary (Facts on File Writer's Library) (9780816041060): Marc McCutcheon: Books

AND

Metamagical Themas
Amazon.com: Metamagical Themas: Questing For The Essence Of Mind And Pattern (9780465045662): Douglas Hofstadter: Books

Best way to escape boredom?
(Sound effects, cartoons, weed, writing, cultivating awesome ideas)

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Speaking errors are only ever addressed when made in rapid succession, at which point I shake my head from side to side while making strange noises and then apologize for not being able to speak properly. I hope to one day mask any apparent stutter as a bold, poetic new method of expression, but in the mean time I'm content only because I notice more speech errors in others than I do in my own vocal assertions.

I wouldn't recommend any reference book in particular

For boredom? The holy trifecta of weed, exercise, and internets.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Have you ever been so distant from the world around you that when you look at yourself you wonder if your body is a costume and that your just an imaginary observer in another world. Hella creepy right?

I've had dreams like that but I haven't had that happen to me in real life.

Do you ever wonder if people notice little speaking errors?
(Yup. And at this point i stop correcting them. :)

Yes. I don't think most people notice speaking errrors as easily as me.

What's the best reference book you can recommend to have?

I mostly use the Internet rather than relying on reference books. I use Wikipedia alot. It's not totally accurate but its good as a starting point for research.

Best way to escape boredom?

Sleep (many of my dreams are more interesting than real life)
Force myself to go out and socialize more (often reluctant to at first and later find myself having a good time)
Visit Typology Central (I'm giving you some brownie points here)

quamdel

MBTI Type
INTP
Howabout this:

Do you think INTPs are by definition disadvantaged when it comes to social skill?

Or do you think the trend is just a side affect of other more definitional traits?

Haha...

Social systems are insanely complex...

Sounds like a worthy life-long challenge to tackle to me

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I kinda like the idea of ghosts and energy, but I'm still a skeptic, deep down.

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
For those of you who read Death Note, how strongly do you identify with L?

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
For those of you who read Death Note, how strongly do you identify with L?

I identify, tough to say how strongly. L was the first person(real or fictional) that I could identify with. Since then there have been several others but not enough for me to be able to tell strengths really.