• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTJ] Ask an ENTJ!

sculpting

Thank you.

Too much sarcasm for dom Te. Too much jumping around. Too complicated and emotionally charged communication. Too much "possibly" and "probably", not enough "going to" and "will".
The Te is forced and immature, it is also subordinate to the Ne-Fi.

All the best.

She is VERY Te and Ni.

I see no trace of Ne anywhere in the vicinity-I think you are seeing her Ni context shifts and not understanding what that actually is, and mislabelling it. Additionally, in online communication you will see more of the introverted functions being displayed than IRL, thus you will see the more exploratory Ni and even Fi value stances from time to time, given the type of threads that are discussed.

You are amazingly certain of your incorrect conclusions, though.

:hug:

ENTJ Question: Do you ever find you have the analysis paralysis problem the INTJs can have? Also, this sounds like a really stupid question, but what does TeNi look like? I sorta get the NiTe, sorta, as a quiet waiting and swirling a pool of perceptions using the incoming Te-Se content as a sort of form/mold/strict limitation set upon the Ni context shifting, to finally find an asnwer that meets the demands of objective reality. (<<<my shitty attempt to capture NiTe). How does TeNi feel as you think over ideas? What is the criteria for judgement? How do you know what Te plans are the best? (feel free to re-interrpret)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Are ENTJs glass half full or half empty persons in general ?

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Not an ENTJ, but the ones I've met I've found to be very optimistic. More so than INTJs, in general... although, that seems to be true of most extraverts.

bcubchgo

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4

both. that's why we're so good at evaluating things. we also realize that the glass is "half full of water and half full of air"

rorita

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Someone else mentioned way earlier that they had been mistyped ENTJ... I sort of feel the same way. I think someone said that being a female ENTJ makes things a little different? I appreciate a lot of ENTJisms (like not having/appearing not to have feelings) and identify with them a lot of the time but at home, and a few times in public (at work), I cry from time to time, usually if I feel like I failed at something, not ever because of someone else... most of the time I get angry, but I have sentimental moments (spesh if I'm on the rag...). I procrastinate a lot... I've come up ENTJ on two tests, one of which was administered by my college's counseling department... can you oscillate between types or end up answering the questions in a way that you want to be, not are? That being said... which type would answer questions in a way that shows they want to be ENTJ?

rav3n

ENTJs, how did you get along with your parents growing up?
My parent sucked and still suck, lol!

ENTJ Question: Do you ever find you have the analysis paralysis problem the INTJs can have?
Not exactly analysis paralysis. If we're hesitant it's usually due to either a lack of information or Ni is ringing alarm bells but we can't pin it down, which equates to a lack of information to proceed.

Also, this sounds like a really stupid question, but what does TeNi look like? I sorta get the NiTe, sorta, as a quiet waiting and swirling a pool of perceptions using the incoming Te-Se content as a sort of form/mold/strict limitation set upon the Ni context shifting, to finally find an asnwer that meets the demands of objective reality. (<<<my shitty attempt to capture NiTe). How does TeNi feel as you think over ideas? What is the criteria for judgement? How do you know what Te plans are the best? (feel free to re-interrpret)
Te-Ni extroverts at a much more rapid pace than Ni-Te appears to extrovert. We're more likely to quickly create a plan, then run it by a known and trusted critic to poke holes into it. This is when Ni will shift rapidly, to debate the critic so we can mould the plan to cover any holes or create further contingency plans. After that, we'll put the plan into play and allow Se to accommodate on the fly, any further needs or problems.

As for criteria for judgment, as objective as possible, whenever possible. Results would be objective measures for judgment.

As for which Te plan is the best, the one that accommodates for as many perspective shifts as possible. That said, best will rely on the ability of the individual ENTJ and the people we rely on to help us carry them through.

Not very indepth but tl;dr isn't my style. If you have any more indepth questions, plse feel free to ask them.

Depends. We plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Someone else mentioned way earlier that they had been mistyped ENTJ... I sort of feel the same way. I think someone said that being a female ENTJ makes things a little different? I appreciate a lot of ENTJisms (like not having/appearing not to have feelings) and identify with them a lot of the time but at home, and a few times in public (at work), I cry from time to time, usually if I feel like I failed at something, not ever because of someone else... most of the time I get angry, but I have sentimental moments (spesh if I'm on the rag...). I procrastinate a lot... I've come up ENTJ on two tests, one of which was administered by my college's counseling department... can you oscillate between types or end up answering the questions in a way that you want to be, not are? That being said... which type would answer questions in a way that shows they want to be ENTJ?
It's impossible to tell, based on this little excerpt. You might want to take Nardi/Beren's cognitive functions test to get a better idea of your function order. Also consider taking Sloan's Big Five since you can use the results to roughly map backwards to MBTI type.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
She is VERY Te and Ni.

Ti doesn't trust Fi. You have a completely different motivation and idea of what is a lie and what is truth.
Making somebody feel good is worth being factually incorrect.
While I guess many Ti view having own opinion despite others' protests a virtue.
Thus it is pointless debating with you.

But perhaps it's worth it provoking you to see your reaction to my (and I have reasons to believe other Ti users' view) of Fi (Ne-Fi).

I don't like this willingness of Ne-Fi to silence own opinion to avoid conflict.
What do you dislike in Ti?

sculpting

Ti doesn't trust Fi. You have a completely different motivation and idea of what is a lie and what is truth.?

This is exceptional true-it doesnt mean I am wrong or right, but simply that Ti cannot trust Fi.

I often ponder this: TiSi almost seems to sacrifice huerestic complexity and redundancy in meaning, the broad gestalt approach, to gain precision. A great deal of data has to be discarded o is neer seen. I get to keep all that extra data and a great deal more. Very often I realize NTPs cant follow the depth and unspoken layers of meaning present in my own Fi. It isnt a fault, mind you-I cannot follow the extreme precision present in an INTP's thoughts or the externalization of an ENTP idea-stream very well. Precision escapes me.

If Ti is following a path that is precision to the level of an atom, Fi is that same path expanded outwards to attempt to encompass infinity.

Making somebody feel good is worth being factually incorrect.
While I guess many Ti view having own opinion despite others' protests a virtue.
Thus it is pointless debating with you.

Ah-the first statement runs the risk of being incorrect-it is heavily dependent upon the amount of Te present in the Fi user you are debating with, and the context and location of the argument, as to if they place the others feelings above the emperical, objective truth. You can have any idea you like-but before I believe it you have to be able to prove it me. In return, I invite and welcome your critique of my ideas-I want to understand what I have missed.

But perhaps it's worth it provoking you to see your reaction to my (and I have reasons to believe other Ti users' view) of Fi (Ne-Fi).

Oh, silly bee, it isnt provocation-I enjoy discussing ideas and even conflicts in an open direct manner. That you would find that discussion or exploration to be provocation, speaks to your own Fe and your desire to maintain social serenity. I, on the other hand, with my growing Te, find this sort of discussion to be invigorating and even exciting. In an Te social landscape, the best idea comes from the vigourous discussion of the ideas presented on the table. If incorrect, I want others to tell me how and why.

What do you dislike in Ti?

hmm...

1. Ti users can (appear to an Fi user) to be mean or cruel or nasty or hateful.

However with time, I understand that Ti is extremely competitive and that what I regard as "mean" is often playfulness.

Additionally, Ti communicates with very direct pointed barbs against another-Fi will always walk very gently around an attack against the individual, as Fi regards that core as sacred. Often this Ti direct, pointedness is either a Ti momentary rant of frustration or useful critique that is "not personal", but rather a direct commentary on where the person is breaking things.

Last-Ti users dont realize that if an Fi user hears a "mean" comment about another, we internalize that feeling and will play the emotions of the subject hearing the comment in our minds-thus feeling their emotions upon being hurt by the "mean" comment. As a result, we do tend to avoid speaking neagtive commentary about others-it results in an internal reflected pain I am forced to feel on their behalf. Ti doesnt have to deal with this, from what I have seen.

Thus my observation of Ti as "mean" is typically an inappropriate projection of my own Fi worldview onto a Ti user, resulting in judgements which are invalid-thus I reject them and observe. (It would be nice if Ti users did the same, recognizing that "overly emotional, irrational" Fi users, are simply something they do not understand.)

2. Ti users can (appear to an Fi/Te user) to be playing manipulative social games. Some Ti users can (appear to an Fi user) to be willing to cheat others with no thought as to the hurt it may cause.

I cant say I always understand the mechanisms here, but I do know that part of what I observe is just Fe/Ti social mechanisms-thus I try and avoid negative value judgements and just observe with interest and with an eye for my own self-protection in mind.

My TP friends ask why I am so attached to the situation? They feel it is often just a game to be played and won, or walked away from when it cannot be won. to be played elsewhere. For myself, life and others are not a game, but a sacred trust. Understanding this diff or perspective as being innate, helps avoid negative value judgements.

3. Ti precision-both breathtakingly beautiful and quite frustrating as well! I love to watch the flow of a Ti idea, in crystalline purity, but it can be very difficult to engage in discussions of ideas with Ti users as they are so logic/previous established idea/social status dependent/data from authority dependent, before they even consider your idea.

However I also have huge barriers as to who I allow to influence my Fi values-thus I cant blame them for establishing barriers to their Ti in the same way.

hahaha, tl:dr. :hug:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Reviving this thread b/c firstly, it needs to be revived, and secondly, I figured it would make more sense to post my question here than to make a new thread about it.

I've noticed that of all the extroverts I'm good friends with, whose MBTI types I know, the ENTJs are the only ones with this detached quality that I would have associated more with introverts. I'm asking this question without being fully aware of how to articulate what I've been observing, but the best I can come up with is that they are functioning in the outer world while maintaining a fully insulated and protected inner world. That as extroverted as they are, and as involved in the outer world as they are, they're only interacting with half of their energy -- meaning, when they do use all their energy on something, it's abnormal and a little scary.

So, my multi-part question is:
  1. Am I imagining this?
  2. If not, is it the Te, or is it the Ni, or is it both? (Meaning, is this something that others observe in ESTJs as well? because I have no ESTJ friends and thus cannot compare the two with any degree of accuracy.)

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
  1. Am I imagining this?
  2. If not, is it the Te, or is it the Ni, or is it both? (Meaning, is this something that others observe in ESTJs as well? because I have no ESTJ friends and thus cannot compare the two with any degree of accuracy.)

I have seen this in other ENTJs. I think Te/Ti-doms are just prone to this. That they can appear friendly or engaging enough until you hit this barrier. My sister is like this very much. She is intense, energetic and even engaging. But simultaneously distant and insulated. She doesn't let too many people get underneath that. I was just talking to my ESTJ a little while ago and he was saying that he's the same way. That people think they know him, he's friendly, out-going, blah, blah but that they really don't know him because he's kept himself from them.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Are ENTJs fond of world domination?

:worthy: :evilgenius:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for the reply, Redbone! :)
I have seen this in other ENTJs. I think Te/Ti-doms are just prone to this. That they can appear friendly or engaging enough until you hit this barrier.
That makes sense. I'd seen it in Ti-doms but it feels so different with extroverts, you know? You expect IxTPs to be reserved, but not so much ExTJs. Would you consider yourself to be the same way, re: inner world/outer world/etc?
My sister is like this very much. She is intense, energetic and even engaging. But simultaneously distant and insulated. She doesn't let too many people get underneath that. I was just talking to my ESTJ a little while ago and he was saying that he's the same way. That people think they know him, he's friendly, out-going, blah, blah but that they really don't know him because he's kept himself from them.
Ooh. I relate a LOT to that.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks for the reply, Redbone! :)

That makes sense. I'd seen it in Ti-doms but it feels so different with extroverts, you know? You expect IxTPs to be reserved, but not so much ExTJs. Would you consider yourself to be the same way, re: inner world/outer world/etc?

Ooh. I relate a LOT to that.

You got it. ;)

Yeah, it does. The contrast between what the public/acquaintance face shows and what people allowed into the inner circle see is amazing. Like a totally different person. The Te-doms I know can be incredibly indulgent, long-suffering, and very willing to please the people they are deeply attached to. If someone can ever get there. From what I see, they decide fairly quickly if you even have a chance at it and never change their mind. I can understand this.

Yes...I'm like that, too. Definitely. Wonder how this looks from the outside? *ponders*

Hehe...I know another ESTJ that has said almost the same exact words!

ladymish

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't feel that I present a 'different' person to others than to those few who really know me - 'incomplete' would be a better word. It's not like I'm pretending to be someone I'm not, there's just some things that I would probably never even consider talking about/revealing to some other people. And yes, I ALWAYS get the 'you're so open and honest and easy to know!' thing and just...nope. It doesn't bug me when people think this, because I know exactly why they do - I DO seem open and honest etc., because I am, and I think a lot of people expect a certain kind of obvious personality type - furtive, introverted etc. when they think of highly private types.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Reviving this thread b/c firstly, it needs to be revived, and secondly, I figured it would make more sense to post my question here than to make a new thread about it.

I've noticed that of all the extroverts I'm good friends with, whose MBTI types I know, the ENTJs are the only ones with this detached quality that I would have associated more with introverts. I'm asking this question without being fully aware of how to articulate what I've been observing, but the best I can come up with is that they are functioning in the outer world while maintaining a fully insulated and protected inner world. That as extroverted as they are, and as involved in the outer world as they are, they're only interacting with half of their energy -- meaning, when they do use all their energy on something, it's abnormal and a little scary.

1. Am I imagining this?

You are not imagining it. lol I think in general ENTJ's can be more introverted than most extraverts. But that's just my impression.

I can get to talking a lot if I'm tryin to work something out in my head. I will talk for about 10 mins or so untill I worked out a conclusion. That's about it for me though. I don't like to talk too much, because I don't want to be rude. In an intimate relationship, I HAVE to date and introvert. Otherwise I would not be able to do all of the introverted activities that I like to do.

I used to not like ESTJ's to be honest. It was because one of my boss's was one though. And she was just a terrible person at heart, so I got a very bad first impression of ESTJ's. Now I have an ESTJ boss, I don't hate, but I don't love. I just understand her. That's all. And it's actually nice. The only thing I see her do that used to annoy me is that she just talks, talks about herself, and talks some more...usually while zipping by...and I'm like "what?" Then she just keeps on talking, cause she is not paying attention to the other people around her lol... One of my good friends is an ESTJ though. I also work with her. She is not "detached" though. Both of them actually Te their way to Fi. Their Fi shows. A lot. Like my boss makes sure people don't come to work when they're sick because she doesn't want to be sick while she goes on vacation. That to me, is an example of her showing that she cares...even for selfish reasons lol. I don't find someone that says that "detached"

ENTJ's are probably more detached then ESTJ's ime. I think you can get to know ESTJ easier...I can't put into words, but something makes them more open, I think.

It's like the ESTJ you have to get to know enough or something then everythings fine and they trust you. Same goes for ENTJ. But I think there's another onion layer or something to an ENTJ. So more like an ESTJ had 2 modes(#1 acquaintance, #2 Secure with someone). And an ENTJ has 3(# aquaintance, #2 Secure with someone, #3 DEVOTED to something/someone). For me at least, the third mode is rarely activated. <--I have never gotten to this point. It would be scary for me and probably the other person. I'm not that open with anyone.

The Te-doms I know can be incredibly indulgent, long-suffering, and very willing to please the people they are deeply attached to. If someone can ever get there. From what I see, they decide fairly quickly if you even have a chance at it and never change their mind. I can understand this.

I agree with this, but in reference to the bold, if I meet someone for the first time and they turn out to be this awesome, crazy-kool person, that I know I can trust. They can get there. We do decide to from the get go if there is even a chance that the other person will be let into our world. But I have changed my mind before. It has to be a considerable thing that the other person does to make me change my mind.

I don't feel that I present a 'different' person to others than to those few who really know me - 'incomplete' would be a better word. It's not like I'm pretending to be someone I'm not, there's just some things that I would probably never even consider talking about/revealing to some other people. And yes, I ALWAYS get the 'you're so open and honest and easy to know!' thing and just...nope. It doesn't bug me when people think this, because I know exactly why they do - I DO seem open and honest etc., because I am, and I think a lot of people expect a certain kind of obvious personality type - furtive, introverted etc. when they think of highly private types.

yes incomplete is the best word I agree.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

1. Am I imagining this?

I think [MENTION=9883]Redbone[/MENTION] gave a fairly solid response to this question.

I'll add that I don't think you're imagining this as I've been told numerous times in the past that I'm very much "in my head". One explanation is that it's a function of tert Se. I don't always pay attention to what's going on around me so much as I'm absorbed by something there aren't really words for. The energy between the people around me, the feeling of being in my own skin, or just the rhythmn of the world and being apart of it. When there's something beyond me that's worth emerging for, then I do. Most things and people don't pique my interest like that, though.

This whole thought that you have kinda reminds me of the comment that you made about inferior Fi, and how it's a part of yourself that the Te part guards. What you perceive of us might be what that feels like to non-ETJs. That they know they're only seeing part of us, without being certain of what it is we have behind the curtain.

Finally, speaking personally, I do compartmentalize a fair amount. I show what I feel is most likely to meet the person where they are and establish common ground. I'm not dishonest, I'm just more complex than is usually convenient to let on.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think [MENTION=9883]Redbone[/MENTION] gave a fairly solid response to this question.

I'll add that I don't think you're imagining this as I've been told numerous times in the past that I'm very much "in my head". One explanation is that it's a function of tert Se. I don't always pay attention to what's going on around me so much as I'm absorbed by something there aren't really words for. The energy between the people around me, the feeling of being in my own skin, or just the rhythm of the world and being apart of it. When there's something beyond me that's worth emerging for, then I do. Most things and people don't pique my interest like that, though.

Do you think this would be generally true of any type with tert Se? I'm just remembering discussions I've seen about ENFJs being rather introvert-like and I've seen several ENFJs describe the above with only slightly different wording.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you think this would be generally true of any type with tert Se? I'm just remembering discussions I've seen about ENFJs being rather introvert-like and I've seen several ENFJs describe the above with only slightly different wording.

Sure. If theres anything to my explanation, it would be something shared by all ENJs.