• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Who's more close-minded: INTJs or ENTJs?

Who's more close-minded: INTJs or ENTJs?

• Total voters

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
They're great dogs when properly socialized. Just like any dog breed..

Being a dog lover and owner for my entire life, I can say this, the above you stated is absolutely true, however, each dog is sooooo unique, and, and, each dog has its own level of intelligence, i.e, some dogs are smarter than others.

You can't socialize that.

Question:

Do you think that there is a genetic component to intelligence?

:)

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Being a dog lover and owner for my entire life, I can say this, the above you stated is absolutely true, however, each dog is sooooo unique, and, and, each dog has its own level of intelligence, i.e, some dogs are smarter than others.

You can't socialize that.

Question:

Do you think that there is a genetic component to intelligence?

:)

Yes, sort of. Studies have shown that the heritability of g is somewhere between 0.6 and 0.8, meaning that genetics explain 60-80% of one's performance on intelligence assessments. If the standard of intelligence is performance on these assessments, then there can be no doubt that it is genetically causative of 60-80% of variation in this trait.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd like to put in my take on the subject. Naturally there are those who will read this thread that will discredit the whole notion that open-mindedness is more limited to one personality type to another. Why they discredit it is for a few possible reasons:

- Lack of knowledge of mbti and the functions.
- Do not want to highlight a more natural negative trait of one type over another.
- Do not want to accept that mbti can explain any negatives of a person's personality.
- Perceiving the thread towards the real life individuals.

It is likely a more different outcome of replies would be shown were this to highlight a more positive trait rather than negative.
You can make a thread "Which type is more outgoing, ENFP or ENFJ?" or "Which type is more relaxed, ISTP or ENTP?" and you'll find the replies more speculative and thoughtful.

To look at these two types, INTJ and ENTJ, as which one tends to be more open-minded you'd have to look at the functions they both use. In which one is a je-dom and the other is pi-dom. Te and Ni to be more precise. It is likely that Te will cause someone to be more close-minded simply for the take of doing things the most efficiently and trying not to rethink it with other methods. It will take the hard facts and avoid any 'holes' trying to reach the goal. This is unlike Ni which will scan all possible outcomes of trying to get a result of an action and will be open to why any other method would be better than the initial chosen. There is of course more to the subject of the functions.

Looking at these functions it is more likely that an INTJ may naturally be more open-minded than an ENTJ. This of course does not mean that an ENTJ cannot be more open-minded than an INTJ or any other type for that matter. In this case it would be wrong if you see a person who seems to be an ENTJ and you see another person who seems to be an ENFP and automatically assume the ENFP is more open-minded.

fecaleagle

MBTI Type
INTj
It's like asking "Who's more lazy, blacks or Mexicans?"

It's a stupid question based on stupid opinions of stupid people.

Also, it is stupid.

LOL this post made me chuckle. I don't think Mexicans are known for being lazy. Isn't the stereotype that they are very hard working people?

But to answer the OP, I've never met a personality type more close-minded than ENTJ..in my experience they are ridiculously arrogant and shoot down any opposition to their views without full analysis, as if they can't go back and check their assumptions or something. And when they feel threatened they try to get personal. That's based on a small-ish sample though

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Generalizations are a good thing, unless they are incorrect. If they are incorrect then they are useless and illogical. For instance, you could say that all (x) people love (xy) kinds of foods but the fact is, most certainly, that some (x) people might not like (xy) foods, and if this is true then your generalization is idiotic. Therefore, all generalizations are good at being idiotic, so they're a bad thing; they disregard the specifics.

See what I did there?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Generalizations are only as bad as the person making them. If someone is good at making assessments then their generalizations have a chance at success. I'm sure this is already implied within your statement though.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To look at these two types, INTJ and ENTJ, as which one tends to be more open-minded you'd have to look at the functions they both use. In which one is a je-dom and the other is pi-dom. Te and Ni to be more precise. It is likely that Te will cause someone to be more close-minded simply for the take of doing things the most efficiently and trying not to rethink it with other methods. It will take the hard facts and avoid any 'holes' trying to reach the goal. This is unlike Ni which will scan all possible outcomes of trying to get a result of an action and will be open to why any other method would be better than the initial chosen. There is of course more to the subject of the functions.

Looking at these functions it is more likely that an INTJ may naturally be more open-minded than an ENTJ. This of course does not mean that an ENTJ cannot be more open-minded than an INTJ or any other type for that matter. In this case it would be wrong if you see a person who seems to be an ENTJ and you see another person who seems to be an ENFP and automatically assume the ENFP is more open-minded.

These are all good points and are logical. I think though on average in most people's eyes though, the answer might be INTJ. INTJ will be perceived as less open minded because of Ni and introversion. INTJs can't be coerced or easily influenced. They are not demonstrative listeners naturally. The inner intuition driving their perspective is communicated to the world through Te. The ENTJ will appear to be engaging in much more of a dialogue with people and thus seem more open minded - even if in fact that is not the case.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I personally thought it was pretty inaccurate to say Te, particularly dom Te, would be close-minded to try and complete its goal without thinking of other options.

Te wants to accomplish an imperative, and will be open to whatever means best lead to that objective.

That's actually a significant aspect of NTJ-style open-mindedness that often seems to be overlooked.

Particularly by Ps.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I personally thought it was pretty inaccurate to say Te, particularly dom Te, would be close-minded to try and complete its goal without thinking of other options.

Te wants to accomplish an imperative, and will be open to whatever means best lead to that objective.

That's actually a significant aspect of NTJ-style open-mindedness that often seems to be overlooked.

Particularly by Ps.

I'd agree with that.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
It's easy for people to perceive us as close minded because we frequently don't explain our rationale for quickly dismissing an idea and it can seem like we did so too quickly to really appreciate the information. On top of this, we may dismiss information, even if it is true, if it isn't relevant to our goals (which also might not have been explained to whoever is offering up the info).

If INTJs are close minded, it would probably be more in their choosing or dismissing of goals than their means of reaching them.

I doubt we question/judge anyone as much as we do ourselves, and that requires an open mind.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I'd agree with that.

You're a pretty reasonable guy.

It's easy for people to perceive us as close minded because we frequently don't explain our rationale for quickly dismissing an idea and it can seem like we did so too quickly to really appreciate the information. On top of this, we may dismiss information, even if it is true, if it isn't relevant to our goals (which also might not have been explained to whoever is offering up the info).

If INTJs are close minded, it would probably be more in their choosing or dismissing of goals than their means of reaching them.

I doubt we question/judge anyone as much as we do ourselves, and that requires an open mind.

Very true.

Those are excellent depictions of NTJ open-mindedness and close-mindedness.

I'd add that our goals are largely determined by our Fi values, and, as such, it's really our Ji function, more than anything, that is the source of our particular flavor of close-mindedness.

Keep that in mind Ps. :tongue10:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Neither type strikes me as particularly closed-minded, but probably ENTJ, given that Te is what dismisses ideas out of hand and ENTJs are Te-dom.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
These are all good points and are logical. I think though on average in most people's eyes though, the answer might be INTJ. INTJ will be perceived as less open minded because of Ni and introversion. INTJs can't be coerced or easily influenced. They are not demonstrative listeners naturally. The inner intuition driving their perspective is communicated to the world through Te. The ENTJ will appear to be engaging in much more of a dialogue with people and thus seem more open minded - even if in fact that is not the case.
Yes, this is true. However there are the cases when INTJs listen and observe giving others the impression that they are thinking about what they are saying. Some would say that this would be considered more open. This would be left to perception.

Particularly by Ps.
I wouldn't think so. Te looks at operations with simple logic of "which is more efficient" which is usually very easily deduced and clear. It's not going to be bothered by what ifs and rarely will choose a path that has an unclear outcome. This is what makes Te close-minded. It won't want to look at anything other than the clear obvious path of what logically seems correct.

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I hate to do this, but:

*Concentration Camp Pic*

might have something to do with it. Humanity doesn't have a very good track record with simply discussing the negative aspects of a group.

Godwin's Law evoked on the second page. That has to be some kind of record or something...

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Imagine someone so open-minded that their brain falls out of their head.

JHBowden

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
If someone called me open-minded, I'd take it as an insult.

Bullshit must be crushed; that means we can't be egalitarians when it comes to ideas. The following short statement makes my soul glow with rainbows and warm fuzzies.[YOUTUBE="6EEyk-iohLw"]STFU[/YOUTUBE]

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Bullshit must be crushed; that means we can't be egalitarians when it comes to ideas.
*rests case*

Although I do agree with this sentiment.

Weber

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram

Bullshit must be crushed; that means we can't be egalitarians when it comes to ideas. The following short statement makes my soul glow with rainbows and warm fuzzies.[YOUTUBE="6EEyk-iohLw"]STFU[/YOUTUBE]

This is why I love true ENTJs.

MoneyTick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
^^^

Word. Tell it to the guy who opened this thread cause it seems his mind closed down for good.

Bahahahah

Last edited: